UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Tropheops sp. 'Lilac'

Go down 
    +2
    KMX
    nick a
    6 posters
    AuthorMessage
    nick a
    Sergeant
    Sergeant
    nick a

Tropheops sp. 'Lilac' Empty
    PostSubject: Tropheops sp. 'Lilac'   Tropheops sp. 'Lilac' Icon_minitime11/23/2009, 8:28 am

Tropheops sp. 'Lilac'

I first saw these fish at the very first fish auction I ever attended. It was back in the fall of '03 and the TCA held the auction out by DFW airport. Due to my inexperience at auctions, I didn't win the breeding group.......but a guy from Houston who has since become a good fish-bud did. He knew I wanted these guys pretty bad so, the next time I bumped into him, he brought me a bag of fry. I've kept at least one group of Lilacs going ever since.

I would have liked to have been a little more auction-savvy and have been able to track the seller down for more info on the collection location etc... but, I don't have any details to add here. All we can do is consider these to be a tank raised strain of unknown origin. That shouldn't dissuade anyone from adding these gems to their Mbuna collection, however. Of all the Tropheops types I've kept through the years, these type is absolutely the best. Not only is the male coloration great, but the females look good AND (the big kicker!) they are the most peaceful Tropheops type you may ever keep. All other types in this genus I've tried range from the purely psycho to just super-aggressive. Lilacs are excellent candidates for mixed Mbuna and/or Lake Victorian tanks. They're tough enough to not take abuse but they rarely exhibit the hyperdominant fin-ripping scale-shredding behavior that some of the other members of this genus can.

My group of T. sp. 'Lilac's shares a tank with C. sp. 'Hara' and C.sp 'Lion'. The dominant Hara male is the king of the tank, but the other species males are all well colored-up and successfully hold territories to breed within. Males attain about 4.5-5" TL, females about 4", in captivation. Mine eat flake and pellet foods well. If you looking for something with a nice splash of color to mix in your tank, consider a group of Lilacs.

Male in 'normal' coloration. Breeding colors are just a touch more intense.
    Tropheops sp. 'Lilac' Dsc0959b
    Tropheops sp. 'Lilac' Dsc0958i

Female
    Tropheops sp. 'Lilac' Femme2

Female in stress pattern--looking for a place to spit her babies!
    Tropheops sp. 'Lilac' Dsc0963w

Juvenile (probably female)
    Tropheops sp. 'Lilac' Dsc0966r

Fry
    Tropheops sp. 'Lilac' Dsc0002vi
    Back to top Go down
    KMX
    Admin
    Admin
    KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Tropheops sp. 'Lilac'   Tropheops sp. 'Lilac' Icon_minitime11/23/2009, 8:38 am

Very nice. the 1st pick reminds me of my Prespax Yellow Breast I use to have.
    Back to top Go down
    chevy350
    Second Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant
    chevy350

PostSubject: Re: Tropheops sp. 'Lilac'   Tropheops sp. 'Lilac' Icon_minitime11/23/2009, 9:38 am

Nice!!!
    Back to top Go down
    Holey Rock of Texas
    Admin
    Admin
    Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Tropheops sp. 'Lilac'   Tropheops sp. 'Lilac' Icon_minitime11/23/2009, 12:26 pm

very nice thank you so much for sharring!!!
    Back to top Go down
    CSnyder00
    CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: Tropheops sp. 'Lilac'   Tropheops sp. 'Lilac' Icon_minitime11/23/2009, 4:37 pm

Very nice. Great library entry!
    Back to top Go down
    CajunGator
    CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Tropheops sp. 'Lilac'   Tropheops sp. 'Lilac' Icon_minitime11/23/2009, 7:46 pm

very nice, awesome fish. love to see a colony of those... WOW
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tropheops sp. 'Lilac'   Tropheops sp. 'Lilac' Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tropheops sp. 'Lilac'
    Page 1 of 1