UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a. Malawi Eye Biter

Go down 
+2
Holey Rock of Texas
nitty
6 posters
AuthorMessage
nitty
nitty

Favorite Fish: : Mine:
110gal. Eclectochromis Lobochilus Hertae
56gal. Neolamprologus Brichardi

Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a.  Malawi Eye Biter Empty
PostSubject: Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a. Malawi Eye Biter   Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a.  Malawi Eye Biter Icon_minitime11/9/2009, 9:05 am

Family: Cichlidae
Range: Lake Malawi, Africa
Size: Up to 10 inches
Diet: Carnivore
Tank Set-up: Freshwater: Rocks, dense plants around perimeter, sand bottom
Tank Conditions: 72-82°F; pH 7.8-8.5; dH 10-15
Minimum Tank Capacity: 70 gallon
Light: Low
Temperament: Aggressive
Swimming Level: Middle to bottom
Care Level: Easy
Reproduction: Mouth Brooder

The 1st. 2 pics are mine, the 3rd. is a web picture.

Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a.  Malawi Eye Biter 101_0632
Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a.  Malawi Eye Biter 101_0627
Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a.  Malawi Eye Biter D-comp

D. compressiceps commonly known as the "Malawi Eye-Biter," is a large and impressive open-water predator. This fish is constantly on the prowl, and therefore is not territorial, unless preparing to spawn. In appearance, it is typically a whitish-silver with a single brown horizontal stripe on its side. Sexually mature males put on quite a display of colors: electric blue with fluorescent reds and oranges on their fins. It is a rather distinctive fish in that its jaw alone is approximately one-third its total body length. With this huge mouth, D. compressiceps females are able to brood 250 fry at a time! If you ever see one of these monsters open its mouth, you'll understand how it can brood that many.

For the aquarium, pellets, shrimp, krill, or mussells are recommended foods. They could also be fed feeder fish if the tank doesn't contain any Mbuna or other smaller-sized fishes, because the feeder fish could possibly make them more aggressive toward any smaller tank mates. You could alternatively feed them pieces of cod or smelt, although these are less nutritious than the mussels or shrimp.
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

PostSubject: Re: Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a. Malawi Eye Biter   Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a.  Malawi Eye Biter Icon_minitime11/9/2009, 9:07 am

anybody out there know of any other Malawi cichlid that can brood 250 fry??
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a. Malawi Eye Biter   Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a.  Malawi Eye Biter Icon_minitime11/9/2009, 3:49 pm

no but i know they have a huge mouth as i had one try to eat a new juli i purchased and i had to slap the tank to get me juli back lol.
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

PostSubject: Re: Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a. Malawi Eye Biter   Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a.  Malawi Eye Biter Icon_minitime11/9/2009, 5:35 pm

I''m looking for 6 females. I already have 2 males.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a. Malawi Eye Biter   Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a.  Malawi Eye Biter Icon_minitime11/9/2009, 5:49 pm

liveFishDirect -has some 2 to 3" unsexed available..
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

PostSubject: Re: Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a. Malawi Eye Biter   Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a.  Malawi Eye Biter Icon_minitime11/9/2009, 8:00 pm

cajun wrote:
liveFishDirect -has some 2 to 3" unsexed available..

I have to know what I'm getting. The ratio I want for a 75 gallon is 2 males and 6-7 females.
I already have the 2 males. So I can't take a chance on getting any other males. Plus they would have to be sub-adult or adult. They'll kill anything smaller.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a. Malawi Eye Biter   Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a.  Malawi Eye Biter Icon_minitime11/9/2009, 9:54 pm

Nitty...Dave from Davesfish.com dose not have any? I thought I sall these on his list one time. If not I could ask him if he can get them.
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

PostSubject: Re: Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a. Malawi Eye Biter   Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a.  Malawi Eye Biter Icon_minitime11/9/2009, 9:56 pm

KMX wrote:
Nitty...Dave from Davesfish.com dose not have any? I thought I sall these on his list one time. If not I could ask him if he can get them.

I want 6 at least 6"-7"(muture size).
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

PostSubject: Re: Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a. Malawi Eye Biter   Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a.  Malawi Eye Biter Icon_minitime11/9/2009, 9:58 pm

Expensive...I wish i had money to splurge on fish. Oh wait I do!, except on partying and laptops lol!
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

PostSubject: Re: Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a. Malawi Eye Biter   Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a.  Malawi Eye Biter Icon_minitime11/9/2009, 10:02 pm

philuponthepho wrote:
Expensive...I wish i had money to splurge on fish. Oh wait I do!, except on partying and laptops lol!

I got my 2 males for $8ea at City Pets. They only sale males though. mad crazy
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

PostSubject: Re: Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a. Malawi Eye Biter   Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a.  Malawi Eye Biter Icon_minitime11/9/2009, 10:04 pm

oh thats cheap never mind. I was thinking $30. I bought some firemouth cichlids for $2.49!!LOL,
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

PostSubject: Re: Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a. Malawi Eye Biter   Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a.  Malawi Eye Biter Icon_minitime11/9/2009, 10:06 pm

adults run around that price($30).
Back to top Go down
thebanker
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
thebanker

PostSubject: Re: Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a. Malawi Eye Biter   Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a.  Malawi Eye Biter Icon_minitime3/28/2010, 5:57 pm

Imo a 75 is to small for a breeding group that size, your likely to have some of your females killed with 7-8 adult eye biters in a 4' 75g.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a. Malawi Eye Biter   Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a.  Malawi Eye Biter Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a. Malawi Eye Biter
Page 1 of 1