UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi????

Go down 
+2
BFinley
cichlidlady
6 posters
AuthorMessage
cichlidlady
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
cichlidlady

Favorite Fish: : All African Cichlids but especially Demasoni

Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Empty
PostSubject: Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi????   Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Icon_minitime4/7/2012, 2:30 pm

Well I have what I've thought were Albino Zebras purchased from a LFS over a year ago. I recall them having 2 types of albinos at the time (Socolofi and Zebra) but for some reason I've never questioned it until now. I have a total of 3 albinos and two started holding so I now know there are 2 females. I can't tell if the third is a male (seems smaller) than the other two. Now this is the kicker....I have an adult male Socolofi that is of breeding age so I'm not sure if he is the father of both matings (never witnessed it). Now my questions are: 1)Are these Zebras or Socolofi? 2)If the Socolofi male mated with these two females what will they look like and will they be considered hybrids? 3)If the 3rd Albino is a male and mated with the two females what would they look like (all white or some like the normal powder blue socolofi)? Oh and these fish are housed in a 135g mixed African tank but I have not noticed any interest either way towards any other fish except the reg Socolofi. All thoughts are welcome anyone with genetic knowledge please chime in because I associate albino-ism (if that is even a word) with humans where all children of a couple will not be albino. But I don't know what the % is if both parents are albino. See pics below:

FEMALE #1 HOLDING
Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Photo110

MALE SOCOLOFI
Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Photo710

FEMALE #2 HOLDING
Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Photo510

FEMALE/MALE??
Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Photo610
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi????   Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Icon_minitime4/7/2012, 6:10 pm

Those are not albino zebras there snow white socolofi's and the male is just a regular blue socolofi! I've seen half and half and IMO they don't look good and are considered hybrids! I have a male snow white socolofi but no females!
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi????   Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Icon_minitime4/7/2012, 7:21 pm

Albino Zebra's are not as white as the snow whites. Albinos are a little bit off color.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi????   Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Icon_minitime4/7/2012, 11:46 pm

Dr. Who wrote:
Albino Zebra's are not as white as the snow whites. Albinos are a little bit off color.
Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? 858205 usafishbox
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi????   Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Icon_minitime4/8/2012, 8:28 am

We have a breeding group of Albino Carolina Swallowtail Peacocks and all they throw are Albino fry . Just sayin'
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi????   Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Icon_minitime4/8/2012, 3:02 pm

No on your hybrid. Male blue Ross and female snow white should yield 50 percent blue and 50 snow whites. Both are in the same family and you could have a new color morph. Ross is your scolofi. Thats his first name. Ross Scolof.
Back to top Go down
cichlidlady
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
cichlidlady

PostSubject: Re: Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi????   Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Icon_minitime4/8/2012, 6:29 pm

Dr. Who wrote:
No on your hybrid. Male blue Ross and female snow white should yield 50 percent blue and 50 snow whites. Both are in the same family and you could have a new color morph. Ross is your scolofi. Thats his first name. Ross Scolof.

Hey Doc what would I expect if that third albino is a male (not sure) and mated with the two albino females........?
Back to top Go down
cichlidlady
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
cichlidlady

PostSubject: Re: Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi????   Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Icon_minitime4/8/2012, 6:40 pm

BFinley wrote:
Those are not albino zebras there snow white socolofi's and the male is just a regular blue socolofi! I've seen half and half and IMO they don't look good and are considered hybrids! I have a male snow white socolofi but no females!

Curious how can they be considered hybrids if they are both socolofi? I will see what I end up with in just a few days b/c female #1 will spit any day now and from the looks of her jaw I'd be surprised if she had less than 30 fry.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi????   Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Icon_minitime4/8/2012, 6:54 pm

Still you should get 50 percent one 50 percent the other. Thats genetics. Think back to HS Bioliogy. Crossing of green beans and wax beans or your fruit fly experiment. Hybids are crossing of two didderent families. Crossing a Hapochromis with a zebra would be hybrid. Please let us know what you get.
Back to top Go down
cichlidlady
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
cichlidlady

PostSubject: Re: Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi????   Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Icon_minitime4/8/2012, 7:42 pm

Thanks for the info Doc.....the suspense is killing me. crazy
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi????   Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Icon_minitime4/8/2012, 8:30 pm

Mybad i was worring about my sister when i was writing it im wrong! Thats what happens when i worry to much! Should of just kept my mouth shut! usafishbox
Back to top Go down
cichlidlady
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
cichlidlady

PostSubject: Re: Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi????   Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Icon_minitime4/8/2012, 8:38 pm

lol! Hey no prob......your input is valued regardless! Thx
Back to top Go down
cichlidlady
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
cichlidlady

PostSubject: Re: Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi????   Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Icon_minitime4/14/2012, 10:44 pm

Ok the fry are here she started spitting them on Friday morning........can't really tell what the colors will be definitely. I guess time will tell. I do know they were spit at a good size and she has been a great first time Mom.....I guess not eating your kids gives you a star....lol!

Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Albino10

Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Albino11
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi????   Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Icon_minitime4/16/2012, 9:39 am

Congratz!Keep us posted on them! usafishbox
Back to top Go down
cichlidlady
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
cichlidlady

PostSubject: Re: Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi????   Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Icon_minitime4/16/2012, 10:39 am

Thanks and will do! Can't wait to see which ones will be snow whites and when the eye color will change.......very interesting all the eyes are dark right now but when I really look closer some are a funny shade of dark hard to describe.
Back to top Go down
cichlidlady
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
cichlidlady

PostSubject: Re: Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi????   Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Icon_minitime5/4/2012, 12:06 pm

Ok........well I don't know what happened but it looks like every one of the fry are following the color traits of the male. Some looked light but eventually they all got darker (nice color).......but no albinos in this group. Have another group from female 2 in a breeder box but they all look similar to the first group just haven't colored up yet.

Hey DocWho maybe every other generation or so some will be albino I guess??

Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Img_0010
Back to top Go down
montivar
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi????   Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Icon_minitime5/5/2012, 7:29 am

This goes into dominate and recessive genes of your two phenotypes the blue trait has complete dominance over your white strain. So if your male is pure dominant for that blue trait saidly 99% of your fry will come out to be that color or a pail blue. To get them to throw the white color that requires both parents to be carriers of that trait. So you would need a male that is hetero for both traits. (I am a biology teacher if you cant tell :P ) This is a great example of dominance will probly share it with my students on monday.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi????   Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Icon_minitime5/5/2012, 12:24 pm

montivar wrote:
This goes into dominate and recessive genes of your two phenotypes the blue trait has complete dominance over your white strain. So if your male is pure dominant for that blue trait saidly 99% of your fry will come out to be that color or a pail blue. To get them to throw the white color that requires both parents to be carriers of that trait. So you would need a male that is hetero for both traits. (I am a biology teacher if you cant tell :P ) This is a great example of dominance will probly share it with my students on monday.

Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? 858205 Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? 772341 usafishbox
Back to top Go down
Jax
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Jax

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa, Plecos

PostSubject: Re: Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi????   Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Icon_minitime5/5/2012, 1:19 pm

They are looking nice. Id like to get a few of these guys from you when they are of size. Thats if your selling them :)
Back to top Go down
cichlidlady
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
cichlidlady

PostSubject: Re: Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi????   Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Icon_minitime5/5/2012, 5:36 pm

montivar wrote:

Hey thanks for that biology refresher....lol! Glad to help out the class too. Right now all the fry look very dark blue so I'm 100% sure they picked up the gene from the male. Now because the fry came out this way does it mean "this" male does not have the recessive gene for sure or is it still possible on another batch? I guess my chances would be better with an albino male to albino female mating? The third albino in my original pics I can't determine if it is a male or female.....so maybe....?
Back to top Go down
cichlidlady
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
cichlidlady

PostSubject: Re: Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi????   Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Icon_minitime5/5/2012, 5:38 pm

Jax wrote:
They are looking nice. Id like to get a few of these guys from you when they are of size. Thats if your selling them :)

Hey you know that is coming soon......let me know what size you want them at and how many cus I'm sure there are at least 35 and the second batch is right behind them with at least 25.
Back to top Go down
montivar
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi????   Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Icon_minitime5/6/2012, 7:46 am

Yea since all those fry were blue 99% of the time you will get that trait so if your wanting a mix you will need to get a new male.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi????   Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi???? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are We Talking Albino Zebras or Albino Socolofi????
Page 1 of 1