UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)

Go down 
+9
jaiko1975
Marlboro Red
pillierox1
-3de-
discusmike
dano
snowflake311
kleankord
alan j t
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Icon_minitime10/14/2010, 12:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

hey all,
as you know i have gotten lucky enough to have spawned discus in my community tank a few times.
seems like that was the easy part. the hard part is raising them to young juvies. or so i read.
so heres the start of it all.
trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 100_4637

Last edited by alan j t on 11/22/2010, 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Icon_minitime11/25/2010, 1:01 pm

wow nice video. congrates Alan. They look great.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Icon_minitime11/25/2010, 10:56 pm

so great news.
i tried the de-capBBS without hatching them it was there first, so i added just a little.
they ate em!! now i dont have to haggle with raising baby brine shrimp!
hooray!
the de-caps are in water already,so i just squirted aome in the tank.
but some other ones are sold dry, i read you need to soak the dry de-caps so you dont accidently kill your fry feed ing them dry de-caps. but it sounds cheaper. i need to find some dry stuff.

on a side note, my albino bristle nose had fry too, but it seems like only one made it. i think my discus made a snack out of them.
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Icon_minitime11/26/2010, 3:43 pm

that is soooo freaking awesome!!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Icon_minitime11/26/2010, 5:56 pm

cheers
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

Favorite Fish: : South American Ciclids and plecos. I will always love my bettas but have moved on.

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Icon_minitime11/27/2010, 7:20 pm

Thats awesome. Are they still with the parents? are they still feeding off of them? How old are they?

I have week old Angel fry I'm raising. They are like my test run for raising discus. So I will be watching this and maybe learn a little from you.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Icon_minitime11/27/2010, 8:46 pm

hey snowflake, they are still with the parents.
they seem to eat off the parents, at least the smaller ones still are. im feeding 3-4 times a day. and 2 w/c a day. they were a week old friday. im counting from when they started free swimming.\

i have a friend who breeds angels, he pulls the fry out as soon as they are free swimming. i meant pull the parents out of the breeder tank.

i just ordered some golden pearls 200-300 micron size. they are reccomended for angel and discus fry.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Icon_minitime11/27/2010, 9:30 pm

my heater just popped during a w/c!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Icon_minitime11/27/2010, 11:21 pm

I hope nothing was damaged........I got in the habit many years ago to unplug everything during water changes to protect me and the fish.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Icon_minitime11/27/2010, 11:52 pm

makes sense dano, but the heater was under water the whole time. its sumbersible and it lays almost on the bottom of the tank.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Icon_minitime11/28/2010, 12:01 am

is everything okay. Ive had that happen with no loses.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Icon_minitime11/28/2010, 8:38 am

affraid Everyone ok???????????
I also shut down the whole tank during a w/c. Could there have been a temp difference? That would crack one for sure
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Icon_minitime11/28/2010, 9:12 am

wow i do hope everyone is okay!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Icon_minitime11/28/2010, 1:53 pm

I try not to use heaters I use space heaters in the den that's where most of my tanks are.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Icon_minitime11/28/2010, 4:50 pm

enerything seemed ok last night, but i lost 4 babies already.
i have a jager heater on the way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Icon_minitime11/28/2010, 4:52 pm

you know the drill water change, water change, water change, etc.......... Hope the rest are okay.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Icon_minitime11/29/2010, 6:13 pm

heres a video taken today
https://www.youtube.com/user/alan924
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Icon_minitime11/29/2010, 8:49 pm

That is so very cool!!! I'm proud of you bro!!
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

Favorite Fish: : South American Ciclids and plecos. I will always love my bettas but have moved on.

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 12:09 am

Oh no hope you get the heater problem fixed. You have only lost 4 this whole time? thats really good.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 4:18 pm

so i came home to 3 more dead fry. idk what the problem is.
the are still eating and w/c are a plenty.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 4:40 pm

I think with discus fry that's kinda normal, you gotta remember how inbred and hybridized they are to get those colors. The runts, malformed and weaklings are just dying off at this stage ....... I'm guessing.....
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 4:51 pm

sounds right,
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Icon_minitime12/1/2010, 11:26 pm

I PULLED THE AGGRESSIVE PARENT! he was chasing the lone fries around the tank. and not in a good way. i come to check on the fish before i hit the bed and 4 more dead fry. im up to 10 or more dead fry, the the mean fish had to go.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 8:43 am

Good call, it really only takes one to do the job!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 10:42 am

I've always heard to pull the parents 8 to 14 days anyway.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 11:57 am

so i woke up to 2 more dead ones, and one is sliding around the floor alot.

i hatched the bbs and they love it, they are getting fed 4 times a day with the live bbs. you can see the bellies turn orange.
i used 1 1/2 tblspns of salt for a litier of water and a lamp was place above the water to keep it warm.also some air with an air stone. when i needed some i woiuld suck them up with a big turkey baster and squirt them into a coffe filter. i did this like10 times to get a bunch of BBS. them transported them to the breeder tank and turn the coffee filter upsidedown over the fry. there is always food in the tank for them. except in the morning.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Icon_minitime12/4/2010, 4:36 pm

so i tried golden pearls today, they love it. only the smallest fry dont take to it yet.
the size is 200-300 micron size.

fish vixen, have you ever tried this stuff? its great to ween off of BBS.
i think its similar to first bites and plankton( coral food), man made thou, it seems like the same ingredients just different sizes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)
Page 7 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next