UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)

Go down 
+9
jaiko1975
Marlboro Red
pillierox1
-3de-
discusmike
dano
snowflake311
kleankord
alan j t
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) Empty
PostSubject: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) Icon_minitime10/14/2010, 12:03 pm

hey all,
as you know i have gotten lucky enough to have spawned discus in my community tank a few times.
seems like that was the easy part. the hard part is raising them to young juvies. or so i read.
so heres the start of it all.
trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) 100_4637

Last edited by alan j t on 11/22/2010, 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) Icon_minitime10/14/2010, 12:09 pm

i added some more discus so to add dither fish or provoke spawning/competion.

they get feed my homemade frozen food twice a day when im work. and 3 time a day when im not at work. 60% w/c are everyother day. temp is at 85.5 PH unknown for now i will check later. prob around 7.6.

i might have to lower it to produce the slime coat on the parents for the fry to eat.
we shall see. im sure they will be alot of trial an error on my part.

this is a very young so....

Last edited by alan j t on 10/14/2010, 1:16 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : mispelling)
Back to top Go down
kleankord
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Clown Loach, Panda Cory

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) Icon_minitime10/14/2010, 12:24 pm

gl hf. ive got a breeding pair that illl be separating when they start laying.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) Icon_minitime10/14/2010, 12:45 pm

how come.
Back to top Go down
kleankord
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) Icon_minitime10/14/2010, 1:04 pm

They're in a 125 planted community. Everyone would dive for the eggs. clown loaches, angels and gbrs especially.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) Icon_minitime10/14/2010, 1:14 pm

sounds like a good protien diet to me. he he
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) Icon_minitime10/14/2010, 1:41 pm

What size tank is it? You need something for them to lay their eggs on a cone or slate.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) Icon_minitime10/14/2010, 3:28 pm

the tank is a 40breeder. im using a pleco cave for the spawning site. they did it before so fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

Favorite Fish: : South American Ciclids and plecos. I will always love my bettas but have moved on.

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) Icon_minitime10/14/2010, 4:50 pm

You are going to give it a go and try and raise some. :) That will be fun have you ever raised fish before? It can be stressful at times but very rewarding. Can't wait to see how it goes. Maybe If we ever get a our meeting going you will find some people you can sell the fry to.

Do you have some good shots of the fish you want to breed? Who did you get them from?
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) Icon_minitime10/14/2010, 5:11 pm

the discus came from jojos aquarium in sac.
i've bred convicts, endlers, kribs n soon to be discus;-)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) Icon_minitime10/14/2010, 6:00 pm

I'm crossing my fingers for you!
Toss in a bit of drift wood to add a bit of tannins to the water.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) Icon_minitime10/14/2010, 7:33 pm

They love tannins in the water and floating plants.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) Icon_minitime10/14/2010, 9:04 pm

i got tannis in a bottle?!? will that work? all my drift wood is tead out so the driftwood wouldn't work there.
i have floating plants but no light for the tank. i might take out the other fish, all they do is fight with em. no tore fins thou so, so far so good.

the other pair laid toaday in the community tank, so this pair should be spawniing today aswell. i will take out the dither fish tomorrow morning. idk.

i want some action!
i know that i just dumped them into a new home so its expected, i just stalled there honeymoon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) Icon_minitime10/14/2010, 9:08 pm

Take out the spares and have just the pair in there. small dose of tannins in bottle will help (I'm guessing black water extract by tetra? good stuff) 1/2 dose should be enough to get them in the mood. Live black worms if you can get them does wonders on any fish!
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) Icon_minitime10/14/2010, 9:28 pm

hmmmm live food sounds like a plan. ill have to call around to see if any stores have em. i probably have to go to cali for it.
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) Icon_minitime10/14/2010, 10:12 pm

I'm out of the fish breeding business, but I wish you the best of luck.......The lower pH and soft water will help, but good feeding with frozen blood worm, Tetra Microcrab pellets, and live black worms will definitely help.......I fed my breeding pairs 4 to 6 times a day......Had to watch the water quality, but I would not do water changes above 30% unless you have water made up that is near the conditions of the water they are in......Even small fluctuations in the temp, pH, and hardness may throw them off............................Be ready with the freshly hatched brine shrimp as it is not a good idea to let them feed exclusively on the parents slime for long.

I'm down to the 55 with the Blue Diamonds now....We took down all the other tanks this past weekend.....My health won't let me keep up with the fish like I want.

Good luck Dano
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) Icon_minitime10/14/2010, 11:25 pm

hey buddy, hows it been. long time no hear?
thanks for the advice.
pop in more often.

i hope snowflake knows where to get some black worms. im @ss out here.
i just caught them pecking again and there tubes are still down.
i might dump a cup of water from the other tank into the 40. maybe some hormones will speed up the pace.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) Icon_minitime10/14/2010, 11:27 pm

i have some BBS on hand too.
Back to top Go down
kleankord
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) Icon_minitime10/15/2010, 9:18 am

I changed water yesterday, and by the evening they were guarding eggs.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) Icon_minitime10/15/2010, 10:03 am

cool, ya got pics of the pair n eggs?
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) Icon_minitime10/15/2010, 10:24 am

Alan....as a bit of food for thought..........I have a friend that gets a lot of breeding and sell able fry using bare tanks with several of the big plastic sword plants that are weighed down so they won't move........The Discus (Marlboro Reds) lay on the leaves.......If you want to raise the fry separate, all you do is move the plastic plant to a bare fry tank.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) Icon_minitime10/15/2010, 10:31 am

cool thanks, its an idea i might try.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) Icon_minitime10/15/2010, 4:55 pm

look up California black worms, their prices seem to be the best and you can probably go in with someone else in your area.
The guy I got mine from does some in a bare tank with a flower pot. Another tank has sand a few vals and a sword in the center...........
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) Icon_minitime10/15/2010, 5:40 pm

good idea fern, maybe snowflake will want to go in on it. hint,hint.

oh and i removed the other fish already, its just the pair now.

Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

Favorite Fish: : South American Ciclids and plecos. I will always love my bettas but have moved on.

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) Icon_minitime10/16/2010, 10:11 am

Maybe I bet my little guys would go crazy for them. I thought I saw a dude in Fresno that sells worms on simply.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)   trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

trying to breed discus (PIC HEAVY)
Page 1 of 9Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next