UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

My new Cory cat. Wish me luck.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

Favorite Fish: : South American Ciclids and plecos. I will always love my bettas but have moved on.

My new Cory cat. Wish me luck. Empty
PostSubject: My new Cory cat. Wish me luck.   My new Cory cat. Wish me luck. Icon_minitime10/30/2009, 9:11 pm

I have tried to keep Cory cats a few time and everytime they die after 2 weeks. My water is fine I was even doing daily water changes and they still dies. Thus time I got some from another store. I bought three 1" albinos and one bronze 2". I'm going to look for another bronze but he was the only one left.

I used this extra water treatment because I think it was something in my water that was effecting only the corys because they don't have scales. I'm also runnig carbon too this time. My temp is 72F with sand and plants. 20 gal and they are the only fish.

So cars so good they are active eattig and playing. The large bronze I think might be horny he goes after the others like crazy. The others and like hey man chill out I'm just swimming by.

I kept 2
peppered Cory cats 13 years ago in a 5 gal tank. They were my first fish and did fine. I don't know why I was having such a had time. I hope I have better luck this time.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: My new Cory cat. Wish me luck.   My new Cory cat. Wish me luck. Icon_minitime10/30/2009, 9:27 pm

What are the tank mates? I love corys My new Cory cat. Wish me luck. 393849
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

Favorite Fish: : South American Ciclids and plecos. I will always love my bettas but have moved on.

PostSubject: Re: My new Cory cat. Wish me luck.   My new Cory cat. Wish me luck. Icon_minitime10/30/2009, 9:55 pm

I is just the corys no other. I'm going to keep is as a Cory only tank.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: My new Cory cat. Wish me luck.   My new Cory cat. Wish me luck. Icon_minitime10/30/2009, 9:55 pm

Good choice.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My new Cory cat. Wish me luck.   My new Cory cat. Wish me luck. Icon_minitime11/1/2009, 8:52 am

snowflake311 wrote:
I bought three 1" albinos and one bronze 2". I'm going to look for another bronze but he was the only one left.

They need to have 6 per school minimum. So you need to pick albino or bronze and take the other kind back and get a bigger school.

snowflake311 wrote:
I used this extra water treatment because I think it was something in my water that was effecting only the corys because they don't have scales
They do have large armor like plate scales.

snowflake311 wrote:
My temp is 72F with sand and plants. 20 gal and they are the only fish.
How fine and smooth is the sand?
Is it a regular 20g or a 20g long?
What are your water readings?
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

PostSubject: Re: My new Cory cat. Wish me luck.   My new Cory cat. Wish me luck. Icon_minitime11/2/2009, 2:40 pm

The sand is playground sand. I tested my water today because they were acting funny. They are not as active as before. I saw some flashing on the sand :( So I am thinking maybe parasites. When I went to turn the light on this morning one was floating upside down at the top of the tank. BUT WAS NOT DEAD! He now is swimming around and staying at the bottom. I did a 30% water change after I did a water test. I cleaned the tank 80% water change before I added them on Friday.
20 Gal regular not long.
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 5
Nitrites 0
ph 7.
Temp 72.

I have been having such a hard time keeping corys. This is my LAST attempted at keeping them. All my other fish are fine I have had some for years with no problems. I think there is something in my water that is effecting corys only. I have gotten some from 3 different stores over the past months. Each store has different water then mine. The longest they last was 2 weeks. All with the same symptoms. They become lass active, hang near the surface then die. Or lay on the bottom. They show NO signs of fin rot fungus or external parasites no sunken bellies or bloat they always look just fine.

I called the water company to get a read out of everything that is in the tap water. This is what I have.

Disinfectants & Disinfection By-Products
(There is convincing evidence that addition of a disinfectant is necessary for control of microbial contaminants.)

Bromate (ppb) 2.1
Haloacetic Acids HAA5) (ppb) 2.5
TTHMs [Total Trihalomethanes] (ppb) 8.4

Inorganic Contaminants

Arsenic (ppb) 1
Barium (ppm) 0.012

Microbiological Contaminants

Turbidity (NTU) 0.5

Radioactive Contaminants

Alpha emitters (pCi/L) 3.22
Beta/photon emitters (pCi/L) 5.23
Radium (combined226/228) (pCi/L) 0.85

Inorganic Contaminants

Copper - action level atconsumer taps (ppm) 0.11
Lead - action level at consumer taps (ppb) 2

Additional monitoriing
As part of an on-going evaluation program the EPA has required us to monitor some additionalcontaminants/chemicals. Information collected through the monitoring of these contaminants/chemicalswill help to ensure that future decisions on drinking water standards are based on sound science.

Bromodichloromethane (ppb) 2
Bromoform (ppb) 1.1
Chloromethane (ppb) 5.5

So can anyone figure out what is killing the cory cats? I feed them waffers and flakes. Something is not right. If these guys die I give up for good.
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

PostSubject: Re: My new Cory cat. Wish me luck.   My new Cory cat. Wish me luck. Icon_minitime11/14/2009, 2:23 am

Update the ones I have are doing great I just need to get them some more friends. I hope to put an order in for more next week.
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

PostSubject: Re: My new Cory cat. Wish me luck.   My new Cory cat. Wish me luck. Icon_minitime11/20/2009, 6:25 pm

I got 3 more so I have 3 albino and 3 bronze. They are doing awesome I can keep them after all. Now I need to do a little aquascaping on thier tank.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My new Cory cat. Wish me luck.   My new Cory cat. Wish me luck. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My new Cory cat. Wish me luck.
Page 1 of 1