UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Cory Catfish

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jaymifields
Private
Private

Cory Catfish Empty
PostSubject: Cory Catfish   Cory Catfish Icon_minitime8/26/2010, 11:35 am

Recently, I was given a 55 gallon tank that came with fish. There were different breeds: 3 Red Parrots, 3 Cory Catfish, 3 of one breed I'm unsure of, and another set of 3 I am also unsure of. =) It also came with 2 LARGE Albino frogs as well as 1 African frog and 2 dragon fish. So as you can imagine when I found some eggs stuck to the glass tank, I started researching online to figure out which fish had laid the eggs and what I was to do to ensure the survival of these fry even before they became so.
I txt'd the person that gave the tank and fish to me and told her one had laid eggs on the glass and she said it was the Cory Catfish and that they do it all the time. She had never separated the eggs and fish thou. So, I got a tank divider and and let them do their thing. Only, they just grew mold. So, I removed them after 6 days. Apparently, they weren't fertile. It made me wonder if maybe all the 3 of the catfish I have are female.. So here is my question... How can I tell, LOL =) Thanks!! p.s. two are brown and one is albino.. don't know if that helps or not =)
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

Cory Catfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cory Catfish   Cory Catfish Icon_minitime8/26/2010, 12:46 pm

I don't know much about cory spawning but I did find the following site. Looks like cory's have a fairly interesting spawning behavior to say the least. All I know, personally, is that I've always heard you can encourage them to spawn by changing water with slightly cooler water to simulate a rain shower. Hope this helps and maybe someone can shed some more light on it.

http://www.aboutfishonline.com/articles/corydoras.html
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

Cory Catfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cory Catfish   Cory Catfish Icon_minitime8/26/2010, 2:32 pm

check with FERN on cory she been raising them for a long long time... lol
and i am not saying that Fern is old.. LOL
Back to top Go down

Cory Catfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cory Catfish   Cory Catfish Icon_minitime8/26/2010, 4:39 pm

Can you get me side pics of all 3?

Next time they spawn get a razor blade and at a 45* angle or less gently scrape the eggs off the glass and stick them to the side of a 10g tank and treat with methylene blue and set air stones under the eggs so there is good water movement over the eggs. Some eggs will fall off the glass but that's fine, the fresher you get them the better they stick. I tend to get them as soon as I can, some times while they are still doing their thing. You will need to have a sponge filter in the tank, of a HOB with a sponge on the intake tube. Run some carbon as soon as the hatch and fall off the glass. It will be a few more days before they use up all of their egg sack. Once the egg sack is gone then you can feed with well softened shrimp pellets or whatever you are feeding the adults.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down

Cory Catfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cory Catfish   Cory Catfish Icon_minitime8/26/2010, 5:36 pm

Cory Catfish DSCN0454
That's a cory fry between 1-2 weeks old.
Back to top Go down
jaymifields
Private
Private

Cory Catfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cory Catfish   Cory Catfish Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 9:09 am

Awww! Awesome! Thanks for the tips guys/gals =) MUCH appreciated!!
Back to top Go down

Cory Catfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cory Catfish   Cory Catfish Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 5:10 pm

No problem, That's what we are here for Cory Catfish 393849 If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask!
Corys are pretty easy once you get the hang of them, the first 2-4 spawns are the hard ones because you will need to learn what methods work well for you.

I can also tell you the best ways to trigger a spawn cheers
Back to top Go down
jetajockey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Cory Catfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cory Catfish   Cory Catfish Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 5:48 pm

I have some corydoras shultzei (black) that laid eggs all over the place just 3 days ago. The viable eggs are slightly darker than the bright white of an unfertilzed egg, BUT compared to the other eggs i've dealt with, the difference is much more slight.

I pulled them all from the glass/plants, some using a razor blade, some using my fingernails. As an FYI, a turkey baster works really well for this process also.

I put mine in with an airstone and a drop of h2o2 twice a day, this kept the fungus down, and I've separated any eggs that i thought were fungused or unviable to a separate container. At first I just tossed the fungused eggs out, but by a stroke of luck I kept them in a container to throw out later. So a few hours later, I go to empty the container out, and lo and behold, there are wigglers in there. So apparently I'm not good at picking out viable cory eggs! lol.

From first glance, all of my eggs looked white and unfertilized, but thankfully I kept them going and now I have 20-30 wigglers out of it.

As far as sexing, one thing that never fails me is if the corys are all around the same age, the males are much more slim and usually a bit smaller than the females, who tend to be round and plump. The females also seem to have curved pelvic fins, cup shaped, this helps them transport eggs, and I think this also plays a factor in why they look tp be in an awkward position when they are resting.
Back to top Go down

Cory Catfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cory Catfish   Cory Catfish Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 6:25 pm

A turkey baster is a very necessary tool to raising corys!

With meth blue the bad eggs turn a dark blue, it makes it quite easy to pull the bad ones out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cory Catfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cory Catfish   Cory Catfish Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cory Catfish
Page 1 of 1