UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

lighting ques

Go down 
+4
strikingthematch
plantedtankdude
alan j t
wblueus
8 posters
AuthorMessage
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

lighting ques Empty
PostSubject: lighting ques   lighting ques Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 10:31 pm

If you have a sump are you suppose to figure that in the watts per gallon? say you want 1 wpg and have a 60 gallon tank with 60 watts of light but you also have a 20 gallon sump should the sump gallons be excluded or included in this?
Back to top Go down

lighting ques Empty
PostSubject: Re: lighting ques   lighting ques Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 10:50 pm

no each tank needs lighting to it's size sump or tank so a 60 gal would be 60W the 20 gal sump would need it own light and they can be differant WPG depending on if you want plants in your sump.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

lighting ques Empty
PostSubject: Re: lighting ques   lighting ques Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 10:52 pm

no. do you plan on growing plants in the sump?
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

lighting ques Empty
PostSubject: Re: lighting ques   lighting ques Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 10:59 pm

no not gonna have any plants in the sump so i wont put any light to the sump then
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

lighting ques Empty
PostSubject: Re: lighting ques   lighting ques Icon_minitime2/17/2011, 6:34 am

nope you don't need a light on your sump just the tank where your plants will be. on a 60g with just 1 wpg I would stick to the different type of anbuis,java ferns,and cryptocoryne speicies.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

lighting ques Empty
PostSubject: Re: lighting ques   lighting ques Icon_minitime2/17/2011, 7:28 am

The only reason people really add lights above their sump is to see. Most of them located under the main tank or built into the stand (some dark place) $20 light fixture and $2 bulb at HomeDepot is the route I would take just so I could see during maintenance
Back to top Go down
SemperFish
Private First Class
Private First Class
SemperFish

Favorite Fish: : Any fish that does good in a planted aquarium.

lighting ques Empty
PostSubject: Re: lighting ques   lighting ques Icon_minitime2/17/2011, 10:35 pm

Be careful on the WPG rule. That rule was originally intended for T-12 lighting (I think). With T-8's, T-5's, and especially T5HO's 1 WPG may give you medium to high light which would require CO2 injection and fertilizers or you will have tons of algae. I have 2 T5NO (normal output) bulbs over my 55 gallon tank. They are rated at 28 watts a piece (56 watts total) and that puts my tank at medium light. You could use the WPG rule with T-8's and I would shoot for 1 to 1.5 WPG to grow low light plants.
Back to top Go down
Cohazard
Sergeant
Sergeant
Cohazard

Favorite Fish: : I love the hobby as a whole and I like keeping all types of fish. I can narrow it down to Polypterus delhezi, Erpetoichthys clabaricus, Carinotetraodon irrubesco, angelfish and live bearers.

lighting ques Empty
PostSubject: Re: lighting ques   lighting ques Icon_minitime2/18/2011, 12:09 am

SemperFish wrote:
Be careful on the WPG rule. That rule was originally intended for T-12 lighting (I think). With T-8's, T-5's, and especially T5HO's 1 WPG may give you medium to high light which would require CO2 injection and fertilizers or you will have tons of algae. I have 2 T5NO (normal output) bulbs over my 55 gallon tank. They are rated at 28 watts a piece (56 watts total) and that puts my tank at medium light. You could use the WPG rule with T-8's and I would shoot for 1 to 1.5 WPG to grow low light plants.

I agree with SemperFish.

The best thing to do is post some specifics about what you're looking for (i.e. low maintenanance, no ferts, no co2, etc...) and the planted tank hobbyists can give you good guide lines.

On my 60g, I have a 4' t5 double bulb fixture, and I get good growth from my plants with no co2 and no ferts. On my 30g, I use a 24" double bulb t5HO (with one actinic bulb!) and get good growth so far.

Back to top Go down

lighting ques Empty
PostSubject: Re: lighting ques   lighting ques Icon_minitime2/18/2011, 12:22 am

Yes I agree with the above statements.
Back to top Go down
LvMyPuffer
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
LvMyPuffer

lighting ques Empty
PostSubject: Re: lighting ques   lighting ques Icon_minitime2/18/2011, 12:38 am

lighting ques 858205 yep those boys know what they are talkin about ;)
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

Favorite Fish: : Angels and hopefully soon Discus

lighting ques Empty
PostSubject: Re: lighting ques   lighting ques Icon_minitime2/18/2011, 1:00 am

SemperFish wrote:
This is one post I'll have to file away! Billin Va.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

lighting ques Empty
PostSubject: Re: lighting ques   lighting ques Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

lighting ques
Page 1 of 1