UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!

Go down 
+5
mike205
hatman
BFinley
proyect01
S&FW_FishyFriend
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 1:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

I've been out of the picture for quite awhile, but long story short: I'm pregnant and will be having my husband's and I's first child (a boy) in April. I decided to make our 75 gallon tank into a really pretty Tropical Freshwater Community tank. I want to get started before the little guy gets here since I will be pretty busy once he arrives.

I am planning to use about 30 fake plants, some driftwood and natural stones for aquascaping with a kind of arc of greenery and fairly open in the middle of the tank towards the front.

I've got a Marineland Magnum 350 (if I can get it running again...) filter, a 48" PC light, 2 200 watt heaters, and had a Koralia 2 for water movement, but it's going to have to be replaced....

I am planning on having about 7 Pristella Tetra (Pristella maxillaris), 6 Scissortail Rasbora (Rasbora trilineata), 5 Panda Cory cats (Corydoras panda), 1 Candy Striped Pleco (Peckoltia vittata) and the show piece will be 5 Bosemani Rainbows (Melanotaenia Boesemani).

I'm planning on keeping the temp at 75 degrees F, and pH of 7.0................

So what do ya'll think? The plan is low maintenance, nice color and movement.... Questions, comments, suggestions?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 10:57 pm

Well 48 hours after dosing my tank with Microbe Lift Special Blend, Microbe Lift Nite-Out II and Microbe Lift Substrate and Gravel Cleaner and keeping the tank light off, my water parameters went from:

Hour Zero: Before dosing
Ammonia- 1.0, Nitrite- 0, Nitrate- 0

12 Hours In:
Ammonia- .5, Nitrite- .5, Nitrate- 0

36 Hours In:
Ammonia- .25, Nitrite- .5, Nitrate- 10

48 Hours In:
Ammonia- 0, Nitrite- 0, Nitrate- 5

And this is what it looks like:
Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! - Page 2 X3ijbd

I didn't think it was possible to cycle a tank that fast with such low swings in Ammonia and Nitrite, but it worked! It's hard to believe, but WOW! Yay!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 11:56 pm

wow congrates. Looks great.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/10/2011, 7:03 am

wow nice good job!! what else are you planning on putting in there?
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/10/2011, 7:37 am

Large volume and few fish - it'll cycle like that. Expect stronger cycle as you add more fish. Cories were actually a good fish to cycle with considering they can handle very VERY rough conditions in water quality! (Just ask my four who survived a tank turning into sewage over christmas break...LOL)

Just add 2-3 fish - wait - and 2-3 more fish...
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/10/2011, 11:05 am

Now I've got some Scissortail Rasboras (4) in there as well now. Ultimately there will be about 6 of those, about 7 Pristella Tetras, 1 Candy Striped Pleco, 6 Julii Corydoras (I added 2 more last night- my sister brought me 4 Julii and 1 Albino from Walmart the other day. She will be getting more Albino Cories and adding them to her tank once it's up and running), and 5-6 Bosemani Rainbows. And that will pretty much max out that tank... lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2