UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!

Go down 
+5
mike205
hatman
BFinley
proyect01
S&FW_FishyFriend
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! Empty
PostSubject: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 1:51 pm

I've been out of the picture for quite awhile, but long story short: I'm pregnant and will be having my husband's and I's first child (a boy) in April. I decided to make our 75 gallon tank into a really pretty Tropical Freshwater Community tank. I want to get started before the little guy gets here since I will be pretty busy once he arrives.

I am planning to use about 30 fake plants, some driftwood and natural stones for aquascaping with a kind of arc of greenery and fairly open in the middle of the tank towards the front.

I've got a Marineland Magnum 350 (if I can get it running again...) filter, a 48" PC light, 2 200 watt heaters, and had a Koralia 2 for water movement, but it's going to have to be replaced....

I am planning on having about 7 Pristella Tetra (Pristella maxillaris), 6 Scissortail Rasbora (Rasbora trilineata), 5 Panda Cory cats (Corydoras panda), 1 Candy Striped Pleco (Peckoltia vittata) and the show piece will be 5 Bosemani Rainbows (Melanotaenia Boesemani).

I'm planning on keeping the temp at 75 degrees F, and pH of 7.0................

So what do ya'll think? The plan is low maintenance, nice color and movement.... Questions, comments, suggestions?
Back to top Go down
proyect01
Captain
Captain
proyect01

Favorite Fish: : Aulonocara species

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 1:54 pm

Congratulations !!!! Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! 265353
Sounds good to me post picts soon please
Thanks
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 2:05 pm

Congratz!Welcome back!Post some pics when you can!
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 2:22 pm

Here is the completely empty tank...

Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! 28ivm84

I also have a matching canopy for the tank, but it needs repair. I got the stand for $47 (originally $549) and the canopy for $22 (originally $379) brand new, on clearance about a year ago.... I almost wet my pants I was so excited! Both pieces of furniture are beautiful, but the light is so bright you can't see the stand in the picture.
Back to top Go down
proyect01
Captain
Captain
proyect01

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 2:26 pm

Nice ! good
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 4:06 pm

you put the water in before the gravel?
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 8:02 pm

That was my husband's doing... he had trouble letting the tank sit there empty so before I knew what had happened, he had filled the whole thing up. So, in this case, yes, I guess we did. But the good news is, I got the Magnum 350 canister filter working again! Gravel, driftwood, a few flake plants, now in... pic to come.
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 8:10 pm

Here is a pic of the tank as it stands now....

Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! 2vrx409

I've got more plastic plants to come. I had some larger pieces of driftwood, but it is apparently DRIFTwood and refuses to sink.
Back to top Go down
hatman
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
hatman

Favorite Fish: : I don't have favorite a fish, but I really enjoy my Christmas Fulu's. Also my 125g community tank.

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 8:15 pm

woo hoo! I love getting and setting up new tanks! yes
Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

Favorite Fish: : peacocks and koi

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 9:31 pm

lookin good
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 11:10 pm

Looks like a brand new tank. CONGRATS on the new edition to be to your family(no I do not mean the kid) lol JK.

Your fish selection looks good...might have to warm it up a bit for the rainbows they tend to like it 80+ and up the pH a little. Should be a very nice community tank
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 11:26 pm

Well, if the pH goes up any then the candy striped pleco (Peckoltia vittata) will do poorly, and the temp is turning out to be better suited at 77 degrees. These are the only parameters where all the fish can live in what they might live in naturally. Melanotaenia Boesemani (the Rainbows) are found in waters with a pH ranging anywhere from 7.0 to 8.0 in their native habitats, depending on which area.
Back to top Go down
proyect01
Captain
Captain
proyect01

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 11:36 pm

good looking setup Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! 393849
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 12:03 am

Congrats on the little one! Welcome back.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 1:34 am

lol! Men and patience, get some fishing line and tie the driftwood to rocks till it stays sunk on it's own. I put large stones on mine for 4 weeks then check to see if they will stay down.
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 9:33 am

I was going to do that (weigh down the driftwood) but then we were concerned about maxing out our weight limit on that floor. It's a pier and beam house and I don't feel comfortable adding too much more weight to that tank. (The house was built in 1920s) Considering just how massive the driftwood is (picture a 15-20 lb showpiece that is very dense) it would take a lot of weight to keep it down. I may be wrong, but I'd rather rethink my aquascaping then replace the wooden floors, beams under the house, etc. It's only a slight inconvenience this way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 9:38 am

Boy how true. Replacing a floor can get expensive,
Back to top Go down
hatman
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
hatman

Favorite Fish: : I don't have favorite a fish, but I really enjoy my Christmas Fulu's. Also my 125g community tank.

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 9:42 am

I love my concrete floors.
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 9:42 am

Yup, lol! $$$
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 9:43 am

hatman wrote:
I love my concrete floors.

I miss mine.... they were nice! dance
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 12:14 pm

There have been some developments... my well meaning sister tried to cheer me up by bringing me some corydoras she got at Wal-Mart. She comes in with a bag and says I brought you fish! (Insert hand slap to forehead) So her "gift" then brought the "opportunity" for me to buy a bunch of stuff to fix the impending ammonia spike. $25 later the tank has dropped it's ammonia level from 1.0 to .5, Nitrite has gone up from 0 to .25 and Nitrate is still zero. So the bottled bacteria is working. It dropped the Ammonia overnight. The 5 little cory cats are still happily swimming. I'm sure that living in the septic Wal-Mart tank prepared them for this.... so now that there's fish I had to hurry and fix the canopy to keep cats out. And this is what it looks like now:
Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! 2mwz4ew
I'm hoping not to have any more "help" with this project for awhile and things will go a lot smoother! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 1:11 pm

I love "help" from non-fishie people. lol!
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 5:09 pm

Tell me about it! I have completely stopped offering to ask my hubby on fish preferences because it just leads to long "discussions" on why you can't keep small goldfish with oscar and other similar topics...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 7:01 pm

That's why you give them a choice of 3 or 4 fish that will work in the tank. It give them a feeling like they are helping-----------Hon, I can't decide on these fish can you choose one for me? ----------- lol!
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 10:57 pm

Well 48 hours after dosing my tank with Microbe Lift Special Blend, Microbe Lift Nite-Out II and Microbe Lift Substrate and Gravel Cleaner and keeping the tank light off, my water parameters went from:

Hour Zero: Before dosing
Ammonia- 1.0, Nitrite- 0, Nitrate- 0

12 Hours In:
Ammonia- .5, Nitrite- .5, Nitrate- 0

36 Hours In:
Ammonia- .25, Nitrite- .5, Nitrate- 10

48 Hours In:
Ammonia- 0, Nitrite- 0, Nitrate- 5

And this is what it looks like:
Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! X3ijbd

I didn't think it was possible to cycle a tank that fast with such low swings in Ammonia and Nitrite, but it worked! It's hard to believe, but WOW! Yay!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!   Been forever!  But starting up a NEW tank! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Been forever! But starting up a NEW tank!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next