UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Starting a Planted Tank...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

Starting a Planted Tank... Empty
PostSubject: Starting a Planted Tank...   Starting a Planted Tank... Icon_minitime12/21/2009, 5:57 pm

I am supposed to get the 100 gallon salt tank for x-mas, but due to funds it's not going to happen on time. So, the hubby bought me something I have wanted for a while: a 10 gallon that will become a planted tank to grow snails for my Puffer friends! Yea! I will post pics of my progress, but I thought this would be a good thread on how to start a planted tank from scratch for those of us who are new to the planted tank thing (like me!).

We need to know the pros and cons of things like:

What type of equipment is needed?
What types of fish should inhabit this type of tank (if any)?
What types of plants look nice and work together or what types to avoid?
What type of lighting is necessary?
What types of fertilizers are necessary and/or just beneficial?

Basically what I'm saying is FERN we (I) need your input! lol!
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

PostSubject: Re: Starting a Planted Tank...   Starting a Planted Tank... Icon_minitime12/21/2009, 6:14 pm

Day 1:

Starting a Planted Tank... 308wh9v

Starting a Planted Tank... 6dsjz9

And now I wait for the water to clear...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Starting a Planted Tank...   Starting a Planted Tank... Icon_minitime12/22/2009, 6:54 am

Ok so the mission is a nice looking heavily planted tank to raise snails in? Would you like to raise ghost shrimp in it as well? (its easy if your not going for fish...or very small ones..I have one kind in mind but I will have to go to my LFS to find out what they are.)

Ok Here is how I did my 75g tank at start up and my plants go nuts in there with very little 'stuff' added for them.

First off is that just plain sand in the tank?
If yes, pull it out and go get some cheap non fertilized potting soil without the Styrofoam ball in it and a very ratty pillow case, it will be trash when your done with it. Put a few cups of it in the pillow case and throw in in a pot of water on the stove. Take it to a low simmer, Change the water in the pot, Repeat at least 4-5 times till the water stops being really muddy. It will never be clear just less muddy, This will sterilize the soil and help it stay under the sand. Go get a small box of laterite, rinse it semi well. Mix that with the potting soil so that its 1/4-1/2" thick on the bottom. Top that with 1/4-1/2" of well washed sand. Add your water.
As far as your filter just look for something without a whole lot of flow... One rated for a 5-10g will work nicely. You need something that wont blow the plants all over the place.
Ok, for lighting.... Try to get 2-3 watts per gallon. Make sure its a full spectrum bulb.
Or... If your not one of those algae haters, put it near a window and keep your current bulb, if its full spectrum. But you will get a fair amount more algae that way.... But you will get a fair amount either way.....
Go get a big jug of flourish excel and a box of root tabs, fertilizer tablets your stick in the sand (they last for a few months so you wont need a huge box).

For plants you can grow anything you want! Just stay away from the huge ones like sword plants. But with the setup I'm recommending you should not have any restrictions on what you get other than potential size.
I do recommend that you start with only one of each kind. There are some plants that just wont grow for some people, so if it dies on you just get something different.
If I had a clue on how to ship plants in this weather.... or any weather for that matter funny I would send you a bunch from my tanks for cheap along with plenty of free snails funny (anyone have a clue how and could give me instructions?)
As far as snails go many will eat plants..... Malaysian trumpet snails will not, but they have the hardest shells of all the snails so your puffer may have issues with them. I still recommend them for your tank as they live most of the time in the sand and will help keep it stirred so you wont get gas pockets in it.... I will have to figure out what kinds I have... I have 2 other types that don't seem to eat plants.
Oh, another big thing is you will need to put a sea shell or 2 in there. It will add the needed calcium for the snails so that they wont deplete the calcium levels in the water and throw off the PH, also it will help them have strong shells so that they will grow well for you.
Shove the root tabs down into the sand near your plants roots. You should only need to use 4-5 of them so place them so that they will be near a few plants rather than one for each plant, It does the job just as well but its cheaper that way.

With a heavily planted tank for just snails and shrimp you wont need to wait on a cycle. Just put the plants in and wait a week before adding your critters.

I think I covered all you should need for start up at the moment... Oh you will need a heater as well.... Thats all I can think of at the moment. Ask any and all questions that you need to and I will try to answer them as best as I can
Starting a Planted Tank... 393849
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Starting a Planted Tank...   Starting a Planted Tank... Icon_minitime12/22/2009, 7:14 am

affraid WOW I didn't think I wrote that much! lol!
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: Starting a Planted Tank...   Starting a Planted Tank... Icon_minitime12/23/2009, 1:09 am

nice write up
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Starting a Planted Tank...   Starting a Planted Tank... Icon_minitime1/5/2010, 8:23 pm

Here is where I am now:

The special "dirt" that I used...
Starting a Planted Tank... 27yywm

The process of adding dechlorinated water without mixing up too much of the substrate...
Starting a Planted Tank... 2e3a6a0

End result: 3 plants, I'll have to remember what I put in later, with pea gravel on top of the substrate so that it won't get disturbed too much and so I can do a water change due to the fish.
Starting a Planted Tank... 2m7gfis

I ended up taking off the Aqueon filter and replacing it with a AquaClear 20 so that I could filter without any activated carbon and adjust the water flow. I have Aqueon Plant Fertilizer that I will probably use 1/2 a dose 2x a week. I have a full spectrum bulb in there along with 5 neon tetras and 2 peppered cory and I may or may not add a dwarf gourami at a later date... Time will tell. But I love it! It is so relaxing!!!! Yay! Thanks for the advice Fern... even though this is my smallest tank is fast becoming one of my favorites!
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: Starting a Planted Tank...   Starting a Planted Tank... Icon_minitime1/6/2010, 12:44 am

i love starting a new planted tank.
im my experience, with eco-complete you cant go wrong.

the plant in the middle should not be planted, but rather tied to drift wood of even some rockwork.looks like java fern to me. great starter plant.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: Starting a Planted Tank...   Starting a Planted Tank... Icon_minitime1/6/2010, 12:50 am

fern if you want some assistance w/ shipping plants
please send me a pm.
i have shipped plants all over the 48 states w/ no issues.
plus i would love to swap plants, i have many different plants growing in my tanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Starting a Planted Tank...   Starting a Planted Tank... Icon_minitime1/6/2010, 9:04 am

The pea gravel isn't the best thing for the corys. I would pull it and use large grained sand as your 'cap'.

Alan please PM me how, I have way too many plants lol!
Back to top Go down
typicaltony
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Starting a Planted Tank...   Starting a Planted Tank... Icon_minitime1/6/2010, 1:53 pm

looks good. great start.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting a Planted Tank...   Starting a Planted Tank... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starting a Planted Tank...
Page 1 of 1