UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1

Go down 
+3
CajunGator
James0816
S&FW_FishyFriend
7 posters

What kind of shrimp should I house in my shrimp tank?
Red Crystal Shrimp (Caridina sp.)
Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Vote_lcap19%Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Vote_rcap
 19% [ 3 ]
Red Cherry Shrimp (Neocaridina heteropoda)
Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Vote_lcap50%Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Vote_rcap
 50% [ 8 ]
Bamboo Shrimp (Atyopsis moluccensis)
Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Vote_lcap13%Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Vote_rcap
 13% [ 2 ]
Red Crystal, Bamboo & Ghost Shrimp
Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Vote_lcap13%Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Vote_rcap
 13% [ 2 ]
Red Cherry, Bamboo & Ghost Shrimp
Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Vote_lcap5%Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
Other- Please list!
Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Vote_lcap0%Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Empty
PostSubject: Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1   Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 1:01 pm

I'm starting a 10 gallon planted shrimp tank. I've got a Zoomed Aquasun T5 dual bulb light fixture (24") for lighting and using a Marineland Penguin 100 for filtration. I will be cycling the tank and adding plants before I add the shrimp, but my question here is: Does anyone know of where to get Red Crystal Shrimp (Caridina sp.) locally in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex? I have found where I can buy them online, but I'm not so sure about that....

So far: the empty 10 gallon is cleaned and awaiting, well, basically everything!!!

I included a poll to gather your opinions!

Bamboo: Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 O6kwvk

Crystal Red: Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 2nlbss5

Red Cherry: Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 1g59y0

Ghost Shrimp: Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 W0pzio
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1   Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 1:08 pm

I voted for Red Cherry only in this case for a few reasons.

Tank is new. Red Cherry's will do the best out of all of them in a freshly cycled tank. However, tank should still be well cycled even for them

With that point, CRS should only be kept in a well established tank.

At a 10g tank, it is going to be a bit on the small side to house multiple species when you take into account breeding.

Bamboo's like good current flow. Helps them filter better.

Just some food for thought.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1   Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 2:01 pm

i voted for red crystal since i like them so much... time i get some.... but while thinking about them,,,, JUMBO GULF SHRIMP came to mind... but i guess i was just HUNGRY....
Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 265353
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1   Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 2:57 pm

I vote red cherry's as well, they seem to be fairly hardy and easy to breed. If you went with a 20g long you would have enough room for 2-3 species and all the young they will produce.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1   Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 3:02 pm

Crystal red!!! Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 265353
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

PostSubject: Re: Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1   Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 3:05 pm

I think I will just leave my Bamboo and Ghost Shrimp in my 75 gallon and do just one species in the 10 gallon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1   Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 4:31 pm

I vote cherry red also for a new tank and tank size.
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Favorite Fish: : Mollys, BN plec, and Thoracochromis brauschi

PostSubject: Re: Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1   Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 5:49 pm

i like ghost shrimp and crystal reds but the bamboos kinda creep me out. But i voted for the crystal reds, bamboo and ghosts :)
Back to top Go down
LvMyPuffer
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
LvMyPuffer

PostSubject: Re: Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1   Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 7:30 pm

cherrys would be your best bet for starting out, especially with that tank size.

the others would all want larger tanks to increase the breeding and survival.

i know crystals and cherrys don't require brackish for the eggs to hatch, but can't recall if the others do.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1   Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 7:34 pm

LvMyPuffer wrote:
the others would all want larger tanks to increase the breeding and survival.

i know crystals and cherrys don't require brackish for the eggs to hatch, but can't recall if the others do.

10s are actually good setups for single species.

As for the rearing aspect. Bamboo shrimp do require salt conditions and some species of ghosties do as well.
Back to top Go down
eli322
Sergeant
Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : Discus crazy i have serpae and neon tetras fancy guppys in every color swordtails mollies cichlids a catfish thats 2 feet long by himself well except for his turtle friend groumi tons of aquatic plants

PostSubject: Re: Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1   Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 8:21 pm

Hey james this is off topic but do you have any of those green shrimp for sale
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1   Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Icon_minitime2/17/2011, 6:18 pm

Status Update:

Tank is setup: Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Oh7qf8

Tank begins cycling process with some of my fish from another tank and borrowed gravel, fake plants, a few real plant clippings and Stability: Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Feqdu9
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1   Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Icon_minitime2/17/2011, 6:21 pm

thanks for sharing Miranda... keep us posted on the shrimpy tank...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1   Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Icon_minitime2/17/2011, 7:07 pm

Real plants are the way to go with shrimp if you can. Mine love cruising about on them picking off stuff.
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1   Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Icon_minitime2/17/2011, 7:10 pm

The fake plants are just there for sharing good bacteria and will be taken out once theres enough real plant growth in there. Theres just something about live plants, you just cant beat em!
Back to top Go down
LvMyPuffer
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
LvMyPuffer

PostSubject: Re: Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1   Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Icon_minitime2/18/2011, 12:18 am

ps: i love your new avatar and signature!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1   Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Icon_minitime2/18/2011, 12:25 am

Looking good!
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1   Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Icon_minitime2/18/2011, 9:18 am

LvMyPuffer wrote:

Whose avatar and signature?
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

PostSubject: Re: Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1   Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Icon_minitime2/18/2011, 9:50 am

yours miranda lol
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1   Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Icon_minitime2/19/2011, 9:51 am

LvMyPuffer wrote:

Thanks! But I've had these same ones for well over a year... I kinda like making these little do-dads for sigs and such. It's fun, but I like my current ones too much to try to make any new ones for myself right now! Lol!
Back to top Go down
LvMyPuffer
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
LvMyPuffer

PostSubject: Re: Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1   Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Icon_minitime2/19/2011, 2:10 pm

well I guess I had not noticed it before, silly blonde thing i guess.

If you ever get bored, feel free to play with the name crystal ;) lol
or LvMyPuffer lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1   Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starting a planted FW shrimp tank... diary... Day: -1
Page 1 of 1