UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

Favorite Fish: : Betta, Pacu, Clown Loach, Alfbn Pleco, Yellow Fin Barb (Lemon Barb), White Fin Rosy Tetra, Congo Tetra, more

Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 8:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well I have a 40g breeder with a group of 8 bronze corys and a few rams.

Was 5 German Blue Rams, (males) 2.3 (females), but recently lost the three females, so now seems like I have the two males left.

today I find eggs in a few places and am wondering who done it.

The corys did spawn last week, but there was a couple hundred eggs on the glass towards the top of the tank, lengthwise running about 10"-12" long. They were yellowish in color. They didn't make it - were gone the next day.

I had taken suggestions and put some plants in front of them and also some large pebble piles below to catch any falling eggs and help them survive.

This time, there are small patches here and there, some on the glass, maybe 20 eggs or so, and patches on a few leaves on one artificial plant. They look mostly white.

Could it have been the rams, or definitely the corys again?

Here are some pics...

Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? - Page 2 11
Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? - Page 2 22
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/23/2010, 5:16 pm

so I see that it's the way they spawn, against the glass, plant, filter intake, etc. and what you have done by scraping them off and sticking them against the glass of another tank, just like many others that use their finger to roll them off and then stick them on the glass of another tank.

but is this necessary for them to hatch? would the tumbler not work at all, aside from them likely falling through the holes?

until the next batch, all I can do is let them sit there and see what happens, since like you said, i'll just keep getting more...

cool
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/25/2010, 1:15 pm

They will breed and breed. Scrape them off the side of the tank, filter, plant whatever, put them in a tank with a sponge filter, and check it out. Usually about 5 days to hatch. They are transparent when they start and take a long time to grow, but are an awesome fish to watch. Good Luck!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/25/2010, 1:22 pm

Now I want more corys! You guys are going to take my MTS to new levels. lol!
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/25/2010, 1:26 pm

USA always does that for me. It's also a good place to vent when your MTS gets real bad.
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

Favorite Fish: : Betta, Pacu, Clown Loach, Alfbn Pleco, Yellow Fin Barb (Lemon Barb), White Fin Rosy Tetra, Congo Tetra, more

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/6/2010, 9:11 pm

Ok, so just found another spawn last night. Managed to scrape up about 100 cory eggs more or less... rolled them on to the side of a 10g with a sponge filter running near them for circulation... let's see what happens...
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/6/2010, 9:32 pm

You'll see them get empty, the wigglers are really hard to see because they are transparent and VERY small.
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/9/2010, 9:25 am

I have baby corys!!! Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? - Page 2 265353

Lots of them have hatched, some have fungus and never hatched, but lots have hatched...

OMG!!!! affraid affraid affraid when people said they would be small, I had no idea!!!

These things are TINY!!!! H E L P !!

will they need to eat now, like day 1?

and will powdered food be ok?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/9/2010, 10:24 am

Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? - Page 2 265353 very cool!!!!!!!
Once the eggs sack is used up feed the powdered foods, the stuff you have will work fine. Clean bottom of the tank often with a clear turkey baster, it will be your best friend while raising them!!!!!!!!
So is that from the bronze or bronze and albino tank?
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/9/2010, 2:02 pm

from the tank where the bronze and the albino were, but the albino were in there only for a short time... I only saw the bronze exhibiting spawning behavior.

I took the albinos out of there I think before I found the eggs, so more than likely from a bronze female, although might possibly be fertilized by an albino..

at best i'll have bronze heterozygous for albino, which would then have to be crossed back to eachother or albinos to produce albinos.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2