UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Vote - where to keep the corys?

Go down 
+2
pillierox1
2SciCrazed
6 posters

where to keep the corys?
29T planted barb tank in my classroom
Vote - where to keep the corys? Vote_lcap77%Vote - where to keep the corys? Vote_rcap
 77% [ 10 ]
10G with my few Sunburst guppies at home
Vote - where to keep the corys? Vote_lcap23%Vote - where to keep the corys? Vote_rcap
 23% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 13

AuthorMessage
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

Vote - where to keep the corys? Empty
PostSubject: Vote - where to keep the corys?   Vote - where to keep the corys? Icon_minitime7/15/2010, 5:24 pm

Ended up buying 5 cory cats representing four different types. They are now in my ten gallon home holding tank for quaranteen. I purchased them and a couple of small loaches with the intention to throw them into the 29T planted barb tank in my classroom.

Have to admit, the more I watch their antics during commercials, the more I'm wondering if I should keep them in the 10G with my few Sunburst guppies. At least until they outgrow the tank. After all, there's plenty of active barbs/tetras/danios in the classroom tank for interest. And I'm really enjoying them in the livingroom.

So I'm gonna let you all vote. Which tank for the winter - home or work? chicken dance
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: Vote - where to keep the corys?   Vote - where to keep the corys? Icon_minitime7/15/2010, 5:34 pm

wat kind of loachs did u get, since they do need a bigger tank if their dojos or horse faced loach. they could stay there for a bit but i would transfer them to a bigger tank. corys r cute little guys im getting a whole bunch from fern. watch out for petsmart fish too, every time i buy them they hav ich so i would keep them in the tank for at least 2 weeks.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

PostSubject: Re: Vote - where to keep the corys?   Vote - where to keep the corys? Icon_minitime7/15/2010, 5:47 pm

Guess I should've been clearer. Loaches are GOING to work after quaranteen - period!

The vote is if the corys are joining them - or staying home for our enjoyment. lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vote - where to keep the corys?   Vote - where to keep the corys? Icon_minitime7/15/2010, 5:47 pm

I vote keep them at home, but get them a 30g or 20g long with nice smooth sand, barbell erosion is the #1 cory killer. They do well with plants once you both agree where they want them funny They will keep rooting them up till you put them in a spot they like.
Yes I'm very curios on the loach type as well, some do need large tanks and special parameters. I would also like to know what kinds of corys you got?
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

PostSubject: Re: Vote - where to keep the corys?   Vote - where to keep the corys? Icon_minitime7/15/2010, 6:19 pm

Sorry, the custom shelving unit they're in was only built for a ten. Husband will NOT rip his work apart - period. When they get too big they'll just have to go to work.

I have one Albino, one green, one that I nicknamed 'the leopard', and two that I describe as 'blotchy with high fins'. Not the most scientific, but I'm trying to match them to the pictures in this secondhand catfish book I just picked up today. Mr 'Leopard' is the quietest mannered one. The others are following each other all around and up and down and up and down and up and down and all around..... They're as bad as my zebra danios! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vote - where to keep the corys?   Vote - where to keep the corys? Icon_minitime7/15/2010, 6:33 pm

your albino and green are most likely Corydoras aeneus. I would have to see pics to help ID the rest.

Ask him to make you another stand! cheers
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: Vote - where to keep the corys?   Vote - where to keep the corys? Icon_minitime7/16/2010, 10:44 am

I love my Cories! I just had a hatch in my tank and I've got month old Albino Cories swimming around in a 29 with some Bristlenose Pleo fry.
Back to top Go down
thebanker
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
thebanker

PostSubject: Re: Vote - where to keep the corys?   Vote - where to keep the corys? Icon_minitime7/16/2010, 11:18 pm

corys school great togather in a large group, i voted 29g. Give them the most room to spread there fins.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Vote - where to keep the corys?   Vote - where to keep the corys? Icon_minitime7/17/2010, 7:20 am

yea, put him to work building a new stand, LOL

Vote - where to keep the corys? 265353 usafishbox
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: Vote - where to keep the corys?   Vote - where to keep the corys? Icon_minitime7/17/2010, 9:04 am

I would keep them in the 29g way more room for them.
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: Vote - where to keep the corys?   Vote - where to keep the corys? Icon_minitime7/17/2010, 9:07 am

i would keep them in ur own tank not the schools u could buy more for the school ones lol and keep the ones u hav. but get a bigger tank in ur home ;)
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

PostSubject: Re: Vote - where to keep the corys?   Vote - where to keep the corys? Icon_minitime7/17/2010, 11:55 am

It's not a stand, it's a shelf unit that takes up an entire wall. So rebuilding is NOT going to happen. I get a 10G at home - period. That's why I went and finished my degrees in Bio/Chem and began to teach. No one at work will question why I've got a room full of critters - as long as I have several lesson plans/labs where they are used for student study.

Looks like the vote is for work. They'll move along with the golden zebra loach, striped raphael catfish and Dinosaur bichar..... Next year when the plants/fish outgrow the 29G I'll just move the whole community to a 55G during my summer break. It'll look great right next to the mature Cichlid and Native fish communities (55's) all along the bottom shelf of my 'counters'.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vote - where to keep the corys?   Vote - where to keep the corys? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vote - where to keep the corys?
Page 1 of 1