UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

Favorite Fish: : Betta, Pacu, Clown Loach, Alfbn Pleco, Yellow Fin Barb (Lemon Barb), White Fin Rosy Tetra, Congo Tetra, more

Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? Empty
PostSubject: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 8:33 pm

Well I have a 40g breeder with a group of 8 bronze corys and a few rams.

Was 5 German Blue Rams, (males) 2.3 (females), but recently lost the three females, so now seems like I have the two males left.

today I find eggs in a few places and am wondering who done it.

The corys did spawn last week, but there was a couple hundred eggs on the glass towards the top of the tank, lengthwise running about 10"-12" long. They were yellowish in color. They didn't make it - were gone the next day.

I had taken suggestions and put some plants in front of them and also some large pebble piles below to catch any falling eggs and help them survive.

This time, there are small patches here and there, some on the glass, maybe 20 eggs or so, and patches on a few leaves on one artificial plant. They look mostly white.

Could it have been the rams, or definitely the corys again?

Here are some pics...

Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? 11
Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? 22
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 9:23 pm

Do you have nerite snails in the tank? That's what they look like.
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

Favorite Fish: : Betta, Pacu, Clown Loach, Alfbn Pleco, Yellow Fin Barb (Lemon Barb), White Fin Rosy Tetra, Congo Tetra, more

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 9:55 pm

nope. those hovering all scattered that do look like nerite snail eggs are actually nothing, came out with the flash.. maybe just water.. the eggs are on the right corner of the tank and then on the lower left leaf at top of the plant.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? Icon_minitime11/21/2010, 1:16 am

okay my bad. LOL
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? Icon_minitime11/21/2010, 5:46 am

holy going thru cicle water looks like snails to me to vixen
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? Icon_minitime11/21/2010, 9:47 am

Those are cory eggs
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? Icon_minitime11/21/2010, 9:54 am

cool, well hopefully they last this time...

and yes, going through cycle...
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? Icon_minitime11/21/2010, 10:13 am

Cory fry are very small. You may want to consider another tank to keep them in. They will swim out of any commercial made breeders.
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? Icon_minitime11/22/2010, 12:16 am

Thanks CSnyder00 - I hadn't planned on them breeding and keep missing my chance to get the eggs out. They harden and are stuck. noob

There are eggs on a few leaves of that fake plant, so technically I can just remove the plant and put it in a bare tank with a sponge filter for them right?

How long til cory eggs hatch?

Now I need another sponge filter... Rolling Eyes rofl

glad I got those extra tanks today! cheers

Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? Icon_minitime11/22/2010, 7:29 am

they dont look like snails eggs to me, i have a 10gl full of ram snail eggs and dont look s o big like that..., i agree with Fern..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? Icon_minitime11/22/2010, 7:59 am

Hmmmm sponge filter group buy?
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? Icon_minitime11/22/2010, 8:13 am

yup... but needs some funds... how much are we talkin?
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? Icon_minitime11/22/2010, 1:09 pm

Hey Fern, or someone else, I just took my fulu fry out of the tumbler and they are in the tank now with a sponge filter in a warmer room, about 80.

Do you think if I just take out the plant with the cory eggs on them and place them in this fry tank, they will hatch out and be ok?

I just noticed several patches of cory eggs everywhere, so I do wanna save some..
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? Icon_minitime11/22/2010, 1:29 pm

Hey Joe where did you get that plant i see on the pic?? looks cool..
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? Icon_minitime11/22/2010, 1:51 pm

that's just a fake plant, came with a used tank I bought from someone.. lol..

it is kinda cool, long, so I usually use it for tall tanks..
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? Icon_minitime11/22/2010, 1:56 pm

nice looks like a real plant..
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? Icon_minitime11/22/2010, 2:08 pm

probably because it is one of those cloth plants.. fiber, not plastic.. they do tend to look better

i was thinking about going to a craft type store where they sell fake plants to make bouquets and baskets and stuff.. you can probably find lots of cheap artificial plants you can use in aquariums..

platic plants are getting expensive in stores!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? Icon_minitime11/22/2010, 5:54 pm

Ya just pull the plant and put it in the bin with the air stone under the eggs.
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? Icon_minitime11/22/2010, 9:01 pm

the bin already has the sponge filter and it barely goes under the surface of the water so I can't put the tumbler there. Since I didn't have a spare tank ready to go, I just rigged the tumbler above the airstone in the tank where the corys are breeding. Idea

I found more patches of eggs on the glass all around. I clipped the leaf they were on and also scraped some off the glass and salvaged about 30-40, maybe more, in the tumbler. Hopefully they'll hatch and be ok.

The first time I scraped I wasn't flat enough against the glass and I totally masacred about 15 eggs or so... noob

then I scraped much flatter and did manage to get a few bunches off. Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? 393849

they also stuck to my finger, the blade and the net I was using! that was fun... omg

Now I keep seeing my synos doing their dances and I keep getting nervous, thinking any second she's gonna blow and I have to be ready to scoop eggs out before they get devoured...

I even saw some of the larger tinfoil barbs doing spawning behavior! H E L P !!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? Icon_minitime11/23/2010, 9:28 am

The cory fry will fall right through that strainer, they are very very tiny.
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? Icon_minitime11/23/2010, 10:00 am

so i've heard about their size...

so if I just replicate the tumbler tub again with the cory fry they should be ok?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? Icon_minitime11/23/2010, 10:07 am

You need to scrape and paste them in a tank or tub, put an air stone under them to keep the water moving, some meth blue would be good too to prevent fungus. No tumbler for corys, just flow is needed. A sponge filter will be needed when they hatch. same drill on feeding, when the egg sack is gone thats when you feed, crushed flake works well for them too.
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? Icon_minitime11/23/2010, 10:29 am

k o dokie pokie funny

i'm probably gonna have to wait until the next batch then... which i'm sure will be any day now crazy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? Icon_minitime11/23/2010, 12:28 pm

Once corys get going theres no stopping them!
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? Icon_minitime11/23/2010, 5:16 pm

so I see that it's the way they spawn, against the glass, plant, filter intake, etc. and what you have done by scraping them off and sticking them against the glass of another tank, just like many others that use their finger to roll them off and then stick them on the glass of another tank.

but is this necessary for them to hatch? would the tumbler not work at all, aside from them likely falling through the holes?

until the next batch, all I can do is let them sit there and see what happens, since like you said, i'll just keep getting more...

cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?   Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Corys Spawning, or maybe Rams?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next