UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)

Go down 
+19
Shaysfishys
istrober
jaiko1975
metrofish
discuskent
unknown
Jeepluv77
mike205
fishlady
Mlegion1988
CSnyder00
whisper
alan j t
jeaninel
BLimon
BFinley
CajunGator
Holey Rock of Texas
KMX
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

How many aquarium plants do you have?
1. Zero
How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Vote_lcap32%How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 32% [ 32 ]
2. 1-5
How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Vote_lcap26%How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 26% [ 26 ]
3. 6-20
How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 20% [ 20 ]
4. 20-50
How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 11% [ 11 ]
5. to many to count
How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 11% [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 101

AuthorMessage
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)   How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/27/2010, 10:45 am

First topic message reminder :

How many REAL (not fake) aquarium plants do you have?

Do you think that plants can help keep Diseases and Disasters away?
Why are plants benifitial to our aquariums?

Vote! Also, Tell us why you have that many and if you don't have any tell us why. usafishbox
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Mlegion1988
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)   How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/10/2010, 7:55 pm

Yep... the only plant I have had luck with them NOT eating is Anubias. The swords manage ok because of how fast they grow lol
Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

Favorite Fish: : peacocks and koi

PostSubject: Re: How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)   How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/10/2010, 7:58 pm

o/k ill try some what kind of substrate should i use
Back to top Go down
Mlegion1988
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Mlegion1988

Favorite Fish: : Oscars, African Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)   How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/10/2010, 8:02 pm

Sand is good for all fish, due the fact that they can easily go through it when food goes to the bottom, or small gravel does good too, I wouldn't put too large of substrate in, food rots easier in larger substrate.
Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

PostSubject: Re: How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)   How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/10/2010, 8:05 pm

o.k so crushed coral will be fine
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

PostSubject: Re: How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)   How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/10/2010, 8:49 pm

Hornwort, anacharis, various vals, and java fern. They're all very tolerant of pretty much you can throw at them(or not through at them in the case of forgetting to add the Excel...oops) and they are great for nitrate control. Anacharis is the only one I've had issue with. It melted on me one day a few years ago for reasons that I never determined.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)   How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 7:57 am

Plants don't do so well in crushed coral, Go with a sand base with some coral mixed in.

Anachris is a very messy plant... southern water nymph is a better plants, so is water sprite.
Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

PostSubject: Re: How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)   How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 8:53 am

o.k ill try them out and see how i like them thank you for the advice what about lighting will i need to run my t5 lights all day or just some of the day
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)   How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 9:22 am

Run them with the sun. your tank plants need the same light cycle as outside, a few hours off is fine but they need the same duration.
Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

PostSubject: Re: How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)   How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 10:50 am

o.k so about 8 to 12 hours aday
Back to top Go down
unknown
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
unknown

Favorite Fish: : You mean I gotta have a favorite??

PostSubject: Re: How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)   How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 11:02 am

mike205 wrote:
i wanted to do some plants in my 210g but everyone tells me my africans will destroy them what do yall think

I have found that as long as you keep the Africans fed with alot of greens in their diet, they are less likely to destroy your plants. I have successfully kept plants in my African tanks.

The Africans are fond of Romaine lettuce, cucumber, zuchinni, green beans, peas, etc... Keep them fed with these as well as your regular diet for them, and you should be ok.

Fast growing plants are also best so they can keep up with the inevitable snacking that will occur.

Remember that many Africans fall into the mbuna group. These fish typically eat algae for the micro-fauna contained in it. There will always be some nibbling on the plants. The key is to give them plenty of other greens to eat.
Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

PostSubject: Re: How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)   How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 2:11 pm

o.k. thats cool i didnt know that but ill start them on the greens this weekend and start my planted tank in about a month thanks
Back to top Go down
unknown
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
unknown

Favorite Fish: : You mean I gotta have a favorite??

PostSubject: Re: How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)   How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 2:40 pm

When you start with the plants, don't start with too many. Your fish may not leave them alone. Success rates will always vary depending upon the fish. You also don't want to alter the water chemistry too much. Plants have a tendency to soften the water and Africans tend to like their water hard.

Keep it relatively sparse and keep them fed with greens, and you should be good to go. I lost alot of plants before I learned I could feed them fresh greens!

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

PostSubject: Re: How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)   How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 3:34 pm

first im gonna start with a 29g and if i do good with that then ill go big and do my 210g i thank a planted tank is one of the best looking tanks if its done right can you post pics of your tank
Back to top Go down
discuskent
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
discuskent

Favorite Fish: : discus arowana cichlids

PostSubject: Re: How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)   How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/19/2010, 5:03 pm

like to change my tanks around to much they say u can have live plants and dead fish or live fish and dead plants
Back to top Go down
metrofish
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
metrofish

PostSubject: Re: How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)   How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/19/2010, 5:07 pm

plants,plants,plants love a good planted tanks How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 265353
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)   How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/19/2010, 6:18 pm

discuskent wrote:
like to change my tanks around to much they say u can have live plants and dead fish or live fish and dead plants
So not true, I have plants in most of my tanks and my tanks change course often so they get rearranged every few months and all my plants and fish are quite healthy!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)   How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/19/2010, 7:04 pm

discuskent wrote:

SSSSOOOOOOOOOO NOT TRUE! My 55 gal has over 100 plants in it and always being switched around and my water chemistry is the best in that tanks. Never have disease or algae outbreaks and the fish show more color in that tank. My neons were reg neons inone tank put them in this one and they grew a became NEON bright. This is the tank the angels just laid eggs in.
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)   How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/14/2010, 8:24 am

I have about 20+ kinds of plants in my 55g ( wisteria is great for keeping algae away) Java moss is great for Fry and shrimps, I have a two feet amazon sword in there. the fish love it i think.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)   How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/14/2010, 8:33 am

I'm up to 8 truly planted tanks. I'm not counting the fry tanks with a wad of java moss or the tanks with 1-2 plants lol!
And 3 tanks later my Madagascar lace leaf finally looks like its happy, it didn't grow in my 75g, didn't look so well in the sump and now I have it in my 90g to be discus tank its finally sending up new leaves and looks like its working on a daughter plant. My micro sword is really starting to take off now as well cheers
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)   How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/14/2010, 8:36 am

i only have two for now, maybe 3 some day How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 690297
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)   How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/14/2010, 8:42 am

I've sold you more than 2! Did you manage to kill everything off except the swords?
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)   How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/14/2010, 8:43 am

hey fern do u run co2 on those plated set ups? and i need the addy to your web..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)   How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/14/2010, 9:14 am

No just flourish excel, I'm too lazy to play with co2
my stock list

Last edited by Fern on 9/14/2010, 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)   How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/14/2010, 10:51 am

Fern wrote:
I've sold you more than 2! Did you manage to kill everything off except the swords?

WHat do you mean??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)   How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/14/2010, 10:54 am

I sold you a few other plants, the one stem plant with the round leaves should have lived through anything.
Back to top Go down
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain
Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

PostSubject: Re: How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)   How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/14/2010, 10:59 am

Lots of java, few pond plants of 2 species. Why I don't have alot of plants, tried it they were beautiful but having to buy more almost monthly because my cichlids who I love dearly DESTROY them got a lil' too spendy for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)   How many REAL aquarium plants do you have?  (POLL) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How many REAL aquarium plants do you have? (POLL)
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next