UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

How easy is it to spread disease from aquarium to aquarium

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

How easy is it to spread disease from aquarium to aquarium Empty
PostSubject: How easy is it to spread disease from aquarium to aquarium   How easy is it to spread disease from aquarium to aquarium Icon_minitime8/31/2010, 9:50 pm

I hear that if you put anything in a aquarium that is wet especially something from another aquarium and you could be putting diseases in your aquarium. My ques is say i have my hands in an aquarium that has sick fish and then i completely dry my hands and arms then go put my hands in my other aquarium can i still transfer disease ? And can parasites and bacteria live out of the water and if so for how long?
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

PostSubject: Re: How easy is it to spread disease from aquarium to aquarium   How easy is it to spread disease from aquarium to aquarium Icon_minitime8/31/2010, 10:28 pm

Yes, you can still transmit diseases between tanks. The disease process is very complicated and is different for every disease. Some take exposure to very high numbers of cells/spores/etc. to cause disease and others are so contagious that a single cell/spore/etc. can wipe out an entire system. Drying your hands can decrease the risk but does not eliminate it. You will still have some organisms on your skin. The deciding factors will be what type, how many, how virulent, and how suseptible the other fish are to begin with. Also, some organisms can live for hours or days after being exposed to light and/or air and some start to die almost instantly. So, as you can see it's difficult to say how risky it is. Keep in mind that not all diseases are actual diseases. Just as in humans, if a fish is exposed to a bacteria it's never been exposed to before, that may be normal in another fish from another area, it may become ill. It's immune system does not yet have the antibodies to fight it. All that being said, I have been guilty of doing the same thing with no ill effects. Of course, if one tank has visible signs of illness that's a whole other situation. Always do whatever is possible to not cross-contaminate from a tank containing either ill or new fish and to not expose new or stressed fish to potential contaminants.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: How easy is it to spread disease from aquarium to aquarium   How easy is it to spread disease from aquarium to aquarium Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 6:10 am

How easy is it to spread disease from aquarium to aquarium 858205 with Jeep, bacterias are very hardy when it comes to living out of the tank for a while, the best way to prevent transfering deceases from one tank to another, everytime you use your hands, pots, nets, brushes etc..., rinse them on hot water for 1-2 mins, bacterias cant hold hot water at all, there's always a small risk but i think is the best way to do it, i dont have a lot of tanks so i use 2 different nets and maintenance supplies to prevent that..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How easy is it to spread disease from aquarium to aquarium   How easy is it to spread disease from aquarium to aquarium Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 6:38 am

How easy is it to spread disease from aquarium to aquarium 858205
After I'm done with a qt tank I set it outside in the sun for a few days for a good disinfecting.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: How easy is it to spread disease from aquarium to aquarium   How easy is it to spread disease from aquarium to aquarium Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 7:01 am

What solution can you use to dip your nets into to prevent transfering disease from one tank to the next!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How easy is it to spread disease from aquarium to aquarium   How easy is it to spread disease from aquarium to aquarium Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 4:29 pm

Jungle net dip, its what we use at my lfs.
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

PostSubject: Re: How easy is it to spread disease from aquarium to aquarium   How easy is it to spread disease from aquarium to aquarium Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 4:44 pm

In a pinch you can also use Quick Cure. Although it say's it's for ich, it contains formalin which is mixture of alcohol and formaldehyde and can kill most organisms at the right concentrations. Great for disinfecting even when pretty well diluted. Just be sure you rinse the net well after sanitizing, especially if you have sensitive fish or inverts. I've always used double the concentration I'd use in the given tank. That way it's effective but not likely to harm my fish should I not get quite all of it off the net.
Back to top Go down
jetajockey
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: How easy is it to spread disease from aquarium to aquarium   How easy is it to spread disease from aquarium to aquarium Icon_minitime9/2/2010, 3:53 am

I try to dry out my nets before using them in differing tanks, but when I don't have time I dip in hydrogen peroxide and rinse with untreated tap water.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: How easy is it to spread disease from aquarium to aquarium   How easy is it to spread disease from aquarium to aquarium Icon_minitime9/2/2010, 6:01 am

Fern wrote:
Jungle net dip, its what we use at my lfs.

english pls lol haha tounge1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How easy is it to spread disease from aquarium to aquarium   How easy is it to spread disease from aquarium to aquarium Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How easy is it to spread disease from aquarium to aquarium
Page 1 of 1