UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Breeding Peacocks

Go down 
+7
juice04
khrister
airball2006
ilicurtisili
KMX
sal
Holey Rock of Texas
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 12:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

it is my understanding that one can not have a breeding setup where there are more than one species of peacock or hap in the same aquarium. they are know to crossbreed as the females all look the same. more info and opinions on this topic can be found here:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/peacocks.php

Aulonocara species are known for their tendency to cross-hybridize; consequently, many responsible aquarists refrain from keeping more than one breeding group in the same aquarium. It is possible; however, to keep different species together if these are selected properly (Konings 2002). For information on how to safely mix Peacocks, click here.
Cross-hybridization is obviously not a problem if one plans to keep only Peacock males. The setup would prove a cornucopia of Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 Art_peacocks_05color as males do not require the presence of females to display their full coloring. Be aware that some males may not display their full potential if housed with others of similar coloring even though there may be no apparent aggression between the two fish. This is especially true of the yellow-bodied Peacocks.
Peacocks can be housed with a variety of other Lake Malawi cichlids. Many of the gentle, medium-sized haplochromines make excellent tankmates. Various members of the genera Copadichromis, Cyrtocara, Placidochromis, Protomelas, Otopharynx, Nyassachromis, and Sciaenochromis are some of the popular fish which are often housed successfully with Peacocks.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 6:37 pm

So how is this conversation related to the topic? Breeding Peacocks? lol! JACKED!!!
Back to top Go down
juice04
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 7:27 pm

Jo
the 75 come with a stand? What color?
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Favorite Fish: :
Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 7:31 pm

black trim but with internal overflow...stand is DIY that I've yet to finish.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 7:41 pm

yeah thanks to you jojo.

thread jacked
Back to top Go down
thebanker
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
thebanker

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 9:12 pm

lol you got to jack it back.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/16/2010, 12:11 am

Holey Rock of Texas wrote:
airball2006 wrote:
Thanks for sharing..HRT. A while back, I went to Keller Farms and bought 6 peacocks in an assorted peacock tank. Most of them in there were females claimed the person who worked there. Now that I have a little more experience with peacocks, I agree that it is very difficult to tell the females apart. Someone should go tell Keller Farms to stop mixing their peacocks fighting because 6 months ago I had no experience with cichlids and it would have been nice for the owner to warn the customer before they bought.

i totally agree. people do not know and many stores fail the eduatcate as they are looking to make money or just do not know what you are doing i guess. as well.

jojo i do not have any peacocks but i am looking to get some.

Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 858205 Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 858205 Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 858205 Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 858205

khrister wrote:
tall...but I can stretch them if you want lol!
lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
airball2006
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/17/2010, 4:14 pm

One question about hybrid peacocks...An OB peacock is a hybrid peacock. Why is this particular peacock not frowned upon and why do I see them being sold so often, even by breeder who don't believe in selling hybrid peacocks?
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/17/2010, 6:56 pm

Good question, although I do not have an answer I will make a guess why.

Maybe because OB peacocks produces OB peacocks.
OB is a natural occuring color in the wild, thus you can call them fry OB peacocks.

Meanwhile what do call a baenschi mixed with Rubescens?
Yellow-Blue peacock or RUBAENSCHI lol!

BTW I don't have any peacocks.
I'd go Haps probably before jumping into Aulonocaras.
Back to top Go down
vman
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/17/2010, 7:09 pm

Last edited by vman on 11/27/2010, 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/17/2010, 7:49 pm

Yes OB happens with many fish in the wild, as well as blue morphs, black morphs and albinism
Back to top Go down
airball2006
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/17/2010, 10:01 pm

Along with the OB peacocks and hybrids is the issue of line bred peacocks. Line breds are selectively chosen to enhance a specific color or characteristic so essentially over time they might become completely different from their natural color. The lines start becoming a little fuzzy as to whether they are creating a completely different species. What do others think about this?
Back to top Go down
vman
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/17/2010, 10:22 pm

.. .

Last edited by vman on 11/27/2010, 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/18/2010, 12:45 am

Very good info yall.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/18/2010, 4:03 am

I personally try to add fresh genes to my groups when I can.
Back to top Go down
airball2006
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/18/2010, 7:00 am

The reason I ask about line breeding is that I saw the other day someone try to sell a firefish peacock. I did some research on it and there is really no such breed called the firefish. Later on I discover that it is a line bred fish from Germany. This particular peacock has been bred in such a way that it no longer looks the same as the native/natural color. If someone can create a new species by selective breeding, it starts getting into this grey area as well.

As for OB peacocks and albino peacocks, I went through this list on cichlid-forum and found that OB peacocks and some albino peacocks are in fact hybrids. The OB peacock is a hybrid between a peacock and an mbuna.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1372

I myself am not concern whether a peacock is hybrid or not; as long as it is a beautiful looking fish and not deformed in any way. But for those of us who do care, this is just some more information to chew on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/18/2010, 7:09 am

I'm sure some OB's are created but some occur naturally in the lakes.
Back to top Go down
airball2006
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/18/2010, 7:17 am

This is another good article about OB Peacocks specifically. I am not a marine biologist or scientist so I can't refute whether OB Peacocks occur naturally in the wild, but the person who wrote this article claims that OB Peacocks are "NOT" found in Lake Malawi.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ob_peacock.php
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/18/2010, 8:11 am

If they are created in the wild, I would like to get the location point lol! I bet there is not one. Which means only one thing.
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/18/2010, 8:49 am

That is right...OB is a cross between Aulonocaras and OB mbunas (which is a natural occuring coloration in the wild). They've been line bred once they got the look they want to keep getting the look they've achived.

Not a big fan of hybrid myself. But to be honest I find they attractive. But there are OB mbunas species that can equal or best those coloration. Again they would have not cross in the wild since they have their own species to mate with. But in our tanks with limited ranges and choices who know what mutts gets created. That is why I try to keep a species only tank if possible when breeding them.

We have no other choice, they are already "created" like the flowerhorns. Our job as a hobbyist is to NOT keep doing the same. Keep the species strain pure. For all we know these species in our tanks would be the last bastion for re-stocking the lakes back.
Back to top Go down
musiccitycichlids
Sergeant
Sergeant
musiccitycichlids

Favorite Fish: : Benthochromis Tricoti, All variants of Zaire Blue, Calvus, Trophs, Gobies, Rhamphochromis, Lethrinops, African Tigerfish(in my dreams)

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/18/2010, 9:50 am

Firefish Peacocks are a hybrid of sorts, maybe just line bred, but probably a hybrid. OB peacocks are hybrids, there are not any in lake Malawi. Having said that, I have no problem with them and actually like them alot.

From what I understand, a fish farm in Florida flooded and the peacocks and the mbuna were mixed in the same pond and the OB's are a product of that, but I don't totally believe that because they then would have been bred back to pure peacocks to get the mbuna traits out.

The main problem I have with hybrids are the fact that most of the time they are sold as a pure strain. Firefish and OB's are not pure, now that we know this what is the problem owning one if that is what you like? The biggest problem I would see with a hybrid would be letting it back into its native enviroment to mess up pure strains. Another problem I have is like the parrot fish where it has been deformed to the point it has physical problems.

Most of the pet stores that sell hybrids take in trades from customers that thought they had a pure strain and didn't. Then the petstore turns around and resales them as pure(I have noticed this alot with yellow labs, with a hint of something esle in them)

But as far as I am concerned if you sell a dragon blood, firefish, or OB, just be straight up with who you are selling them to and let them know what they are. Then if they want them still, fine.

As far as aquarist go, I think we need to more concered about people buying fish, then realizing they don't like them and releasing them into the wild. Florida's rivers and lakes are filled with african, south american, all kinds of other invasive species killing and taking over our native waters. This is a real issue with devasting consequences.
Back to top Go down
proyect01
Captain
Captain
proyect01

Favorite Fish: : Aulonocara species

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/18/2010, 11:29 am

In fact hibryds looks some good or not it's not the rigth way but some people pays bunch of money because the enviroment created for these people (breeders?) who try to create some new frankyfish for money and try to cover with anything (good luck, longevity, etc)
selective breed is the rigth way and if hibryds can occur in nature (no human intervention) is part of the species evolution Charles Darwin try to explain once but a think some people don't pay any atention
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/18/2010, 5:11 pm

I was referring to the OB trait in general not a specific lake or species, there are several fish that have and OB variant. Same thing with the melanistic all black fish that pop up from time to time, those are in the wild as well. There are color morphs in the wild is the only thing I am saying.
I agree that hybridizing fish and selling them as true is very very wrong.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Breeding Peacocks
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2