UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Breeding Peacocks

Go down 
+7
juice04
khrister
airball2006
ilicurtisili
KMX
sal
Holey Rock of Texas
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

Breeding Peacocks Empty
PostSubject: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 12:19 pm

it is my understanding that one can not have a breeding setup where there are more than one species of peacock or hap in the same aquarium. they are know to crossbreed as the females all look the same. more info and opinions on this topic can be found here:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/peacocks.php

Aulonocara species are known for their tendency to cross-hybridize; consequently, many responsible aquarists refrain from keeping more than one breeding group in the same aquarium. It is possible; however, to keep different species together if these are selected properly (Konings 2002). For information on how to safely mix Peacocks, click here.
Cross-hybridization is obviously not a problem if one plans to keep only Peacock males. The setup would prove a cornucopia of Breeding Peacocks Art_peacocks_05color as males do not require the presence of females to display their full coloring. Be aware that some males may not display their full potential if housed with others of similar coloring even though there may be no apparent aggression between the two fish. This is especially true of the yellow-bodied Peacocks.
Peacocks can be housed with a variety of other Lake Malawi cichlids. Many of the gentle, medium-sized haplochromines make excellent tankmates. Various members of the genera Copadichromis, Cyrtocara, Placidochromis, Protomelas, Otopharynx, Nyassachromis, and Sciaenochromis are some of the popular fish which are often housed successfully with Peacocks.
Back to top Go down
sal
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
sal

Favorite Fish: : All Cichlids.

Breeding Peacocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 12:29 pm

This is why i got so many tanks now, must keep peacocks seperated.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

Breeding Peacocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 12:38 pm

I only mix my Peacocks with my mbuna. I do that with my Nkhata bay and Sturatgranti Maleri Island.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Breeding Peacocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 12:39 pm

i have just noticed a bunch of people keeping peacocks together and i just want to make them aware of the situation, not everyone knows this and so it is good to bring some attention to it.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Breeding Peacocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 12:40 pm

hybrid fry do make good feeders tho lol.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

Breeding Peacocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 12:41 pm

Very good info. Unless you have all male peaocks. You need to keep species seperate.
Back to top Go down
ilicurtisili
Admin
Admin
ilicurtisili

Breeding Peacocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 12:44 pm

Holey Rock of Texas wrote:
hybrid fry do make good feeders tho lol.

Breeding Peacocks 858205 and they are free
Back to top Go down
airball2006
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Breeding Peacocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 1:10 pm

Thanks for sharing..HRT. A while back, I went to Keller Farms and bought 6 peacocks in an assorted peacock tank. Most of them in there were females claimed the person who worked there. Now that I have a little more experience with peacocks, I agree that it is very difficult to tell the females apart. Someone should go tell Keller Farms to stop mixing their peacocks fighting because 6 months ago I had no experience with cichlids and it would have been nice for the owner to warn the customer before they bought.
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Favorite Fish: :
Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

Breeding Peacocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 1:43 pm

Why Holey Rock of Texas you have peacocks? lol!
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Breeding Peacocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 1:59 pm

airball2006 wrote:
Thanks for sharing..HRT. A while back, I went to Keller Farms and bought 6 peacocks in an assorted peacock tank. Most of them in there were females claimed the person who worked there. Now that I have a little more experience with peacocks, I agree that it is very difficult to tell the females apart. Someone should go tell Keller Farms to stop mixing their peacocks fighting because 6 months ago I had no experience with cichlids and it would have been nice for the owner to warn the customer before they bought.

i totally agree. people do not know and many stores fail the eduatcate as they are looking to make money or just do not know what you are doing i guess. as well.

jojo i do not have any peacocks but i am looking to get some.
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

Breeding Peacocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 2:41 pm

jojo i do not have any peacocks but i am looking to get some.

Want to buy my 75g tank? Breeding Peacocks 690297
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Breeding Peacocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 2:45 pm

i am looking for some peacocks not another tank lol.
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

Breeding Peacocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 2:50 pm

we'll practice what you preach Breeding Peacocks 690297 give them their own breeding tank lol!
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Breeding Peacocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 3:33 pm

lol. that is not what i am saying. i am saying they can not go with another otehr species of peacock of hap. not that they have to be isolated even tho this is the best way to breed.
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

Breeding Peacocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 3:41 pm

not that they have to be isolated even tho this is the best way to breed.

You know what's best for them...Let's trade rocks for tanks...I need more rocks lol!
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Breeding Peacocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 3:43 pm

lol. i do not have room for 75 gallons. i need some 40 breeders or 20L. then i have to come to your place and build the stand lol.
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

Breeding Peacocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 3:46 pm

Okay I have 3 x 20g and will build you a rack....now it's a rack for rock lol!
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Breeding Peacocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 3:49 pm

are they 20 longs?
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

Breeding Peacocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 4:10 pm

tall...but I can stretch them if you want lol!
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Breeding Peacocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 4:11 pm

lol. only want longs lol.
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

Breeding Peacocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 4:20 pm

Buy Danes set-up then.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Breeding Peacocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 4:38 pm

he wants $350, and i do not have room for two rows.
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

Breeding Peacocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 5:52 pm

he wants $350, and i do not have room for two rows.

Buy the tanks, we'll build the rack
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Breeding Peacocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 6:27 pm

he will only sell the whole setup i think. i will get the tanks of CL.
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

Breeding Peacocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 6:37 pm

So how is this conversation related to the topic? Breeding Peacocks? lol! JACKED!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Breeding Peacocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Peacocks   Breeding Peacocks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Breeding Peacocks
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next