UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Breeding Frontosa

Go down 
+3
ricardorocks
khrister
h0ngkn0t2
7 posters
AuthorMessage
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids, Bristlenose Plecos and Koi

Breeding Frontosa Empty
PostSubject: Breeding Frontosa   Breeding Frontosa Icon_minitime1/23/2010, 7:46 pm

I bought ~.75" fry in July and have been growing them out in a 110. Feeding them NLS with regular water changes every 2 weeks. I've heard that it takes them 2-3 years to start spawning so I haven't been worried about handling Frontosa fry. Currently there seems to be what looks like 3 Males and 9 Females in the group. Males range from 3.75-4" and females 2.5-3". I was doing regular maintenance today and noticed that one of the females has a big bulge in her mouth, as if she is holding eggs! Surely this can't be right? I even fed them and she attempted to pick up some of the granules but then stopped because she might lose the "eggs" in her mouth. I'm curious to what is it is that she is holding. Anybody have ideas? How old do they get until they spawn?
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Favorite Fish: :
Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

Breeding Frontosa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Frontosa   Breeding Frontosa Icon_minitime1/23/2010, 8:45 pm

Watch her movement and observe if she swimming in a bobbing motion. They tend to do false holding by holding air. Observe if she is going to the top to get some bubbles. It is quite too early to spawn.

Last edited by khrister on 1/25/2010, 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Breeding Frontosa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Frontosa   Breeding Frontosa Icon_minitime1/23/2010, 10:25 pm

i wish you luck!
Back to top Go down
ricardorocks
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
ricardorocks

Favorite Fish: : halfmoon bettas and any nice looking cichlids

Breeding Frontosa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Frontosa   Breeding Frontosa Icon_minitime1/24/2010, 12:23 am

keep this post up for you updates hong i want to see what it is she was holding
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

Breeding Frontosa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Frontosa   Breeding Frontosa Icon_minitime1/24/2010, 2:25 pm

Any news?
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

Breeding Frontosa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Frontosa   Breeding Frontosa Icon_minitime1/25/2010, 1:45 pm

how bout now?.......news?
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids, Bristlenose Plecos and Koi

Breeding Frontosa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Frontosa   Breeding Frontosa Icon_minitime1/25/2010, 6:57 pm

So she spat it out. Some sort of white substance. Not sure what you would call it. If it is still there tonight, I will take a pic of it and post it.
Back to top Go down

Breeding Frontosa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Frontosa   Breeding Frontosa Icon_minitime1/25/2010, 8:04 pm

thats wierd.
Back to top Go down

Breeding Frontosa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Frontosa   Breeding Frontosa Icon_minitime1/26/2010, 6:17 am

I did read somewhere while doing my research that one guys front female was constantly holding algae as if it were eggs.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

Breeding Frontosa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Frontosa   Breeding Frontosa Icon_minitime1/26/2010, 7:20 am

Hmmm.... Well hong, at least you know two things. One, that she is a female. And two, that she is gonna be a good mom if she is practicing this young!
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

Breeding Frontosa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Frontosa   Breeding Frontosa Icon_minitime1/26/2010, 8:15 am

for sure!! i agree! Breeding Frontosa 858205
Back to top Go down
ilicurtisili
Admin
Admin
ilicurtisili

Breeding Frontosa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Frontosa   Breeding Frontosa Icon_minitime1/26/2010, 9:43 am

maybe shes just out
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

Breeding Frontosa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Frontosa   Breeding Frontosa Icon_minitime1/26/2010, 9:49 am

Breeding Frontosa 858205 possiblity................?
Back to top Go down

Breeding Frontosa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Frontosa   Breeding Frontosa Icon_minitime1/26/2010, 12:10 pm

ilicurtisili wrote:
maybe shes just out

lol!

id have to say shes gonna be a good mom.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

Breeding Frontosa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Frontosa   Breeding Frontosa Icon_minitime1/26/2010, 12:18 pm

yup!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Breeding Frontosa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Frontosa   Breeding Frontosa Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Breeding Frontosa
Page 1 of 1