UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

River Tank ideas

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa

River Tank ideas Empty
PostSubject: River Tank ideas   River Tank ideas Icon_minitime5/23/2010, 9:55 pm

I have a 125 gallon long tank, and it's been sitting in my basement empty for some time now. I am getting really antsy about setting it up the last week or so, and yeah... I'm going to set it up.. like this week.

But... before I even get it decorated and cycled, I need to know what to put in it.

Here is what I am thinking:

1- Tiger shovelnose x red tail hybrid
2- Datnoid
3- Florida Gar
4- Jaguar Cichlid
5- African Leopard Fish
6- Fire Eel

I already have a small 3'' redtail X, and I have a Jaguar Cichlid about 7'' and about 10 small African Leaf Fish.. Also have the fire eel 8''

I want plants, and drift wood, and rocks, and ahhh!!! I'm just sooooo excited!

I need ideas guys!

River Tank ideas Sfg10

River Tank ideas 100_4410

River Tank ideas 96440910
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

River Tank ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: River Tank ideas   River Tank ideas Icon_minitime5/23/2010, 10:32 pm

Those all are wicked ideas! I am thinking you may be overstocked if you put much more in there. It will still be awesome! I like the X and the Jags. Can't wait to see what you do! Keep pics updated!
Back to top Go down
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

River Tank ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: River Tank ideas   River Tank ideas Icon_minitime5/23/2010, 10:34 pm

Well, they will all be small minus the Jag and the fire eel... I dont' want to stock it full... just want to see if I should change or replace anything... hope they all get along.

I would add my african butterfly fish, but he might be lunch for the gar...
Back to top Go down
proyect01
Captain
Captain
proyect01

Favorite Fish: : Aulonocara species

River Tank ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: River Tank ideas   River Tank ideas Icon_minitime5/23/2010, 10:41 pm

Sounds good to me and the fish looks great
Can you start with the decoration and some picts
What about :
rocks drift wood some plants some space rocks plants drift wood
swords
anubias
jave fern
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

River Tank ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: River Tank ideas   River Tank ideas Icon_minitime5/23/2010, 10:45 pm

well a 20ft long tank would make an awesome river tank! mmmmm
Back to top Go down
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

River Tank ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: River Tank ideas   River Tank ideas Icon_minitime5/23/2010, 10:45 pm

CajunGator wrote:
well a 20ft long tank would make an awesome river tank! mmmmm

I have a 10 foot long tank... lol.

10x5x4 cheers
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

River Tank ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: River Tank ideas   River Tank ideas Icon_minitime5/23/2010, 10:48 pm

Yes, he probably would. I think you've got a pretty good idea of stocking. You've got layers in the tank. It should look pretty sweet. Jags are some of my favorite fish!
Back to top Go down
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

River Tank ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: River Tank ideas   River Tank ideas Icon_minitime5/23/2010, 10:53 pm

CSnyder00 wrote:
Yes, he probably would. I think you've got a pretty good idea of stocking. You've got layers in the tank. It should look pretty sweet. Jags are some of my favorite fish!

I don't know if the Jag is a male or female, but it's name is Harry. haha! I won him on ebay for $13.

Should I maybe add some dithers in there?
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

River Tank ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: River Tank ideas   River Tank ideas Icon_minitime5/23/2010, 10:58 pm

Problem with dithers is the snack they might become. lol!
Back to top Go down
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

River Tank ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: River Tank ideas   River Tank ideas Icon_minitime5/23/2010, 11:17 pm

CSnyder00 wrote:
Problem with dithers is the snack they might become. lol!

yeah, but they aren't that expensive. Anything to keep the fishies happy!

So... I'm thinking decorations...

What for gravel should I use? I normally use crushed granite (chicken grit) which gives a white sand look without ruining the filters.. But I want something natural looking... So maybe that with some actual natural gravel? Not store bought brown gravel either. I have actual gravel from like the river, but it's been washed, and dried for a year now, so it's safe.

I plan on going driftwood hunting soon, and then I have to do the boil/bake thing. So not sure whether I should spend the time on wood, or just spend the money! haha.

then plants... I know that I want to have it grow onto the drftwood so you have to have it tied..

I've got plenty of flat rocks I can pick up... That's not a problem..

Oh, and I've got the heaters... and for filtration I have an eheim pro II canister filter, and a Aqua Clear 110 that I'm going to put on it.

Am I in the right direction? Should I add that black water tannin stuff to the water?
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

River Tank ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: River Tank ideas   River Tank ideas Icon_minitime5/24/2010, 12:41 am

Awesome. good luck
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

River Tank ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: River Tank ideas   River Tank ideas Icon_minitime5/24/2010, 7:13 am

You will get tannins from the driftwood, so I wouldn't worry about that. As far as a substrate, just make sure that you don't put anything too sharp for any of the fish you have. I would go with something smooth since you have catfish in the plans. Plants tied to driftwood is great. I do that all the time. Just make sure you get some strong string. And make sure that there is NO way that the fish can get between the string and the wood/plants.

Answer any of your questions?
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

River Tank ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: River Tank ideas   River Tank ideas Icon_minitime5/24/2010, 7:14 am

Picked up some awesome Cajun driftwood hhis past saturdAy. Will post pics later lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

River Tank ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: River Tank ideas   River Tank ideas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

River Tank ideas
Page 1 of 1