UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
montivar
Private
Private

New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas Empty
PostSubject: New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas   New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas Icon_minitime4/11/2012, 8:33 pm

So I found someone sell a 180 gallon aquarium 3 years old with very nice finished stand, heaters, lights, glass canopy, sump (think its a tidepool not sure if ill use any opinions on this), Fluval FX5 and another canister filter, CORALIFE® Pure-Flo Reverse Osmosis Water Purification System (for later use with saltwater tank) and many other goodies for $550. I am thinking I got a pretty good deal what you think? My plan is the make this become my new frontosa tank. Who are right now in a 125 show tank which they need the more space since they are really starting to grow in size. I am picking up the aquarium this weekend and going to start planning the set up. I was wondering what were some views on what to run in the 3 baskets of the fluval fx5. I use biomass rings in my 2 125 aquariums but I was wondering if anyone used bioballs and which you think are better?

I am thinking of using pool filter sand then various rocks for aquascaping. If you have any ideas you have ever seen that you think look good or pics of tanks that have great ideas feel free to link.

Thanks for any ideas and ill try to get pics add of the tank and everything this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas   New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas Icon_minitime4/12/2012, 9:43 am

i have used bioballs and they work but i can not say they work better than the biomass rings. congratz on the new tank.
Back to top Go down
KingBichir
Admin
Admin
KingBichir

Favorite Fish: : all of them

PostSubject: Re: New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas   New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas Icon_minitime4/12/2012, 4:30 pm

i use bio balls and the biomass rings but dont know which works better
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas   New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas Icon_minitime4/14/2012, 6:02 am

bio mas has more surface area on them, so more bacteria will stay on them.
Back to top Go down
koolaid68
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
koolaid68

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa, Blood Parrots, OB's, Blue Dolphin, & Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas   New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas Icon_minitime4/16/2012, 10:37 pm

I have a 180 gallon with an FX5 also. And I am also using a Rena XP3 canister filter too. I have Ceramic Rings in the XP3. And I am using Lava Rocks in my FX5, I have a few friends that swear by the Lava Rocks. So I thought I would give it a try. Please let us know what ya end up using. Enjoy your new tank.
Back to top Go down
montivar
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas   New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas Icon_minitime4/17/2012, 10:03 am

koolaid68 wrote:
I have a 180 gallon with an FX5 also. And I am also using a Rena XP3 canister filter too. I have Ceramic Rings in the XP3. And I am using Lava Rocks in my FX5, I have a few friends that swear by the Lava Rocks. So I thought I would give it a try. Please let us know what ya end up using. Enjoy your new tank.

I will also be running a xp3 with this tank. I decided to use ceramic rings I just ordered 8 lbs of them for $18 which wasn't to bad for price I think.
Back to top Go down
koolaid68
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
koolaid68

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa, Blood Parrots, OB's, Blue Dolphin, & Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas   New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas Icon_minitime4/17/2012, 2:48 pm

KOOL!!! now i found my XP3 on CL. for $60. Now if i was going to buy one brand new i think i would have gotten the XP4. But I am happy and glad that i have the XP3. man, i love my 180. if ya look up the DIY I have pics and showed how i built my stand. as a matter a fact i just posted pics of two fish that just gave me fry. once you get your tank up and running please post pics.
Back to top Go down
montivar
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas   New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas Icon_minitime4/17/2012, 5:49 pm

I am starting the cleaning up process tonight the guy i bought it from use to have 3d background on it so i have to take off all the old silcone. If i get that done tonight then ill do a test fill as always just to be safe.
Back to top Go down
montivar
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas   New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas Icon_minitime4/17/2012, 7:06 pm

95% cleaning done and test fill going on :)
Back to top Go down
montivar
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas   New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas Icon_minitime4/17/2012, 7:19 pm

New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas 0417121907

New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas 0417121906

Loving the tank already
Back to top Go down
koolaid68
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
koolaid68

PostSubject: Re: New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas   New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas Icon_minitime4/17/2012, 8:38 pm

good so far. keep the pics coming.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas   New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New 180 gallon tank few questions and any ideas
Page 1 of 1