UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

How to clean holey rock that has been in saltwater tank

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jstump
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

Favorite Fish: : Metriaclima sp. "Msobo" Magunga

How to clean holey rock that has been in saltwater tank Empty
PostSubject: How to clean holey rock that has been in saltwater tank   How to clean holey rock that has been in saltwater tank Icon_minitime1/2/2012, 3:45 pm

I got a big piece of holey rock today that has been in saltwater. It's quite dirty and has worm shells all over it. What is the best way to clean it up to put in my cichlid tank? Would scrubbing it, then soaking it in bleach/water work?
Back to top Go down
Jstump
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: How to clean holey rock that has been in saltwater tank   How to clean holey rock that has been in saltwater tank Icon_minitime1/2/2012, 3:47 pm

How to clean holey rock that has been in saltwater tank Imag0510
Back to top Go down
jb1edlover
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
jb1edlover

Favorite Fish: : I have the fish in my avatar but the photo was taken by Nick Andreola of the HCCC. His photography skills are a little better than mine!

PostSubject: Re: How to clean holey rock that has been in saltwater tank   How to clean holey rock that has been in saltwater tank Icon_minitime1/2/2012, 4:20 pm

What kind of fish do you have? If cichlids, just drop the rock in it's ready! A little salt would be good for them! If anything, just rinse and let dry but I can't see the reason for it.
JB
Back to top Go down
Jstump
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: How to clean holey rock that has been in saltwater tank   How to clean holey rock that has been in saltwater tank Icon_minitime1/2/2012, 4:28 pm

I have cichlids. What I'm more concerned with are the worms shells all over it or if there is still something "living" on it
Back to top Go down
jb1edlover
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
jb1edlover

Favorite Fish: : I have the fish in my avatar but the photo was taken by Nick Andreola of the HCCC. His photography skills are a little better than mine!

PostSubject: Re: How to clean holey rock that has been in saltwater tank   How to clean holey rock that has been in saltwater tank Icon_minitime1/2/2012, 4:35 pm

Cichids are actually "saltwater fish" that have been isolated by plate tectonics and developed the ability to live in freshwater. I don't think the worms in a salt water tank will hurt them, but if you want to be safe.... a chlorine soak would be a safe idea. Drop the rock in a plastic tote with a 1/2 cup of bleach. Then soak for a 1/2 day and then rise and add to the tank.
JB
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: How to clean holey rock that has been in saltwater tank   How to clean holey rock that has been in saltwater tank Icon_minitime1/2/2012, 8:08 pm

The worms will not live in freshwater.
Back to top Go down
jb1edlover
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
jb1edlover

PostSubject: Re: How to clean holey rock that has been in saltwater tank   How to clean holey rock that has been in saltwater tank Icon_minitime1/2/2012, 8:19 pm

yeah but you want to get the dead worms out before putting it in the tank... to avoid a nitrate/amonia spike. Hrmmmm..... Maybe something as obvious as a small chisle or needle nose pliers and physically crush the worm "habitat".
JB
Back to top Go down
Jstump
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: How to clean holey rock that has been in saltwater tank   How to clean holey rock that has been in saltwater tank Icon_minitime1/2/2012, 8:35 pm

The worm shells seem to come off with a little elbow grease, i'll have to find something to get in the holes. I was thinking about taking it to a car wash and use their pressure washer to spray it off. I haven't seen anything alive on it yet, but you never know lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to clean holey rock that has been in saltwater tank   How to clean holey rock that has been in saltwater tank Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to clean holey rock that has been in saltwater tank
Page 1 of 1