UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

is it ok to use holey rock in a saltwater aquarium

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
fishyjoe27
Sergeant
Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : 135 gallon freshwater discus
55 gallon salt water FOWLR community tank, later it will be reef.

is it ok to use holey rock in  a saltwater aquarium Empty
PostSubject: is it ok to use holey rock in a saltwater aquarium   is it ok to use holey rock in  a saltwater aquarium Icon_minitime9/23/2009, 9:53 am

can I use holey rock in my 125 i'm setting up to be a saltwater reef tank with out there being any problems? and how long will it take for my tank to cycle.

I've got the salt,I've got the sand,I've got the korlinia a 1,3,and 4. I'm about ready to go.
just got to scoop the pool filter sand out, clean the tank get my black background, and pull the tank and stand out some so my back over flow fits between the wall and tank.
Back to top Go down
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
juice28

Favorite Fish: : black false percula, spotted mandarin

PostSubject: Re: is it ok to use holey rock in a saltwater aquarium   is it ok to use holey rock in  a saltwater aquarium Icon_minitime9/23/2009, 4:28 pm

yea, there is no problem with the TX rock, its good a porus, it will probably raise you ph really high though being that it is from the earth(usually full of minerals that will each out in the water, you can cure it before you add it to your tank, wash it of really good and basically cycle it for a couple weeks like in a trash can, basically (if you checked out those links, the same curing process for making your own rock) I honestly bout alot of limestone BR from my LFs for like 1.50 lb i just washed it really good and put it in, did a few pieces at a time so i didnt cause a major spike, just test every days to maintain it, some rock will not raise your ph, some will its just the luck of the draw and the condition in whicj you get the rock. if the store just gets it and hoses it off..youll probably raise your ph for a few weeks(untill the saltwater runs through it and cleans it out basically) if the store cures it and then places it for sale your probably pretty god
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: is it ok to use holey rock in a saltwater aquarium   is it ok to use holey rock in  a saltwater aquarium Icon_minitime10/16/2009, 12:46 am

yes you can use tx holley rock in your tank. if you use some purple up in your tank you will see that purple coralline algae will grow onto it, however if you do not have any corals that need calcium i would not dose anything to raise calcium without checking it. you really dont want to have calcium to high because if it is to high then when you do put corals in it could "burn" them to much calcium for corals is just as bad if not worse than not enough.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: is it ok to use holey rock in a saltwater aquarium   is it ok to use holey rock in  a saltwater aquarium Icon_minitime1/5/2012, 5:52 pm

I wouldn't dose in less you need to you want to keep mag/cal/alk in a range. texas holey rock will work but, I heard it has a lot of cal. and will spike the ph up high.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: is it ok to use holey rock in a saltwater aquarium   is it ok to use holey rock in  a saltwater aquarium Icon_minitime1/5/2012, 10:07 pm

Tx. holey is old base rock from coral reefs millions of years ago. If you get to the Texas hill country someday you will see the old coral reefs. The hills are all the same hieght.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: is it ok to use holey rock in a saltwater aquarium   is it ok to use holey rock in  a saltwater aquarium Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

is it ok to use holey rock in a saltwater aquarium
Page 1 of 1