UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Killifish help

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Brad
Private
Private
Brad

Favorite Fish: : Honduran Red Point

Killifish help Empty
PostSubject: Killifish help   Killifish help Icon_minitime5/29/2011, 11:35 pm

Hey everyone, i have a question. Every night when i turn all but my killifish light off, my male gardneri shows off like crazy, but the female never pays any attention to him. Why?

Here is a video of him doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wceCVpKOwZo
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

Killifish help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Killifish help   Killifish help Icon_minitime6/1/2011, 1:54 am

Awesome movie you have there. Female does not look like she is interested and she does not have a "bulge" in the belly like she is ready to spawn. Asked the local killifish guy at my favortie petstore and he said you can try to turn heat down, turn down water flow and lower the mop down some. He actually recomended putting both of the fish into a tupperware with peat moss on the bottom with sand, but I recommend you do a bit more research on that topic.

Good luck let us know how it goes great looking killis.
Back to top Go down
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain
Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

Killifish help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Killifish help   Killifish help Icon_minitime6/1/2011, 10:28 am

Going by the ? since my puter sucks for watching vids and that they are "garderni" here's some suggestions from JME:
*cool water though I've gotten them to spawn in the 76-78F they prefer the cooler water
*for the most mine are given large yarn tassles mops that are just allowed to sink *mine don't have filteration except for a homemade sponge that is a piece of t-pvc pipe, small intake cut from a UGH pipe and quilt batting in the ends. The air flow is set very low
*if you have access to some live foods such as daphnia, black worms, skeeter larvae from a local water source you trust, live fry cultures such as walter worms, grindal worms, even frozen food that are defrosted just start conditioning them which will help get her in the "mood", you can even try feeding them 3 times a day
*try "extra" water changes 2-3 times a week not sure of the tank size but most of mine are kept in 2 1/2 - 5g tanks so doesn't take much
*have marbles/glass stones from the Dollar Store in the bottom of their tanks just incase they miss the mops spawning and the eggs fall down in them with still a chance of surviving and hatching
*lighting other than natural that comes in from the windows they don't have any though when they end in the rack somewhere they get some from their neighbors

Give her time just like other species of fish sometimes the males are more on the "lets get jiggy" before the females

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Killifish help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Killifish help   Killifish help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Killifish help
Page 1 of 1