UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Hatching Killifish eggs

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
vgould
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : Fundulo Panchax Sjoestedti (Blue Gularis)

Hatching Killifish eggs Empty
PostSubject: Hatching Killifish eggs   Hatching Killifish eggs Icon_minitime8/24/2010, 2:41 pm

I'm about to attempt my first hatching of killifish eggs, specifically: Aphyosemion (Chromaphyosemion) Bitaeniatum "Lagos". Does anyone have any instructions or tips they care to share?

Thanks,

Vincent
Back to top Go down
unknown
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
unknown

Favorite Fish: : You mean I gotta have a favorite??

PostSubject: Re: Hatching Killifish eggs   Hatching Killifish eggs Icon_minitime8/24/2010, 2:59 pm

I don't have any instructions other than to let us know how it works. I've been interested in them for quite some time and would like to give them a try myself.
Back to top Go down
typicaltony
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Hatching Killifish eggs   Hatching Killifish eggs Icon_minitime8/24/2010, 6:38 pm

Something about using a mop and letting them hatch out of water I believe, takes awhile.
Back to top Go down
vgould
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: Hatching Killifish eggs   Hatching Killifish eggs Icon_minitime8/25/2010, 7:48 am

Killifish like to lay their eggs in the mops. for some species, you need to store the eggs in wet peat for awhile to let them develop, in other species you need to keep the eggs in water and let them hatch. The fry are very small.

I'll let you know how it goes!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hatching Killifish eggs   Hatching Killifish eggs Icon_minitime8/25/2010, 3:27 pm

Pretty neat! I'd love to hear more on how its done Hatching Killifish eggs 393849
Back to top Go down
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain
Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

PostSubject: Re: Hatching Killifish eggs   Hatching Killifish eggs Icon_minitime8/26/2010, 11:38 am

Killifish are one of the funnest fish!! Have raised a few different ones with good results other than my luck with peat spawners hasn't been the greatest.

What I've been doing lately as have so many different things going on haven't caught my rear is: lots of mops, some fake plants, light aeration and heater set at 72F as backup though it rarely comes on. There has been lots of fry that have hatched and growing up nicely.

Now when I really want them to work, I trade out the mops every 7 - 10 days taking the mops that have been swapped and putting them in a 5 -10g, then when I see fry then start feeding them micro worms, decapsulated bbs or finely ground flake.

Use lots of critter keepers/small tanks for growing out the fry when needed, lots of times without aeration. Changing the water when they are tiny I use a trukey baster to keep the bottom clean along with a snail to help clean.

You can hatch them in a butter dish even which is kind of fun to do, just keep the temp in lower 70's, again light aeration or do a couple water changes a day, watch for the fry and begin feeding. Have found them to be quite hardy fry for the most part and fun to watch grow since it is so quick compared to alot of other species of egg layers.

Anyways there's my 2 cents from personal experience with them. Good Luck!!!
Back to top Go down
vgould
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: Hatching Killifish eggs   Hatching Killifish eggs Icon_minitime8/26/2010, 11:43 am

Thanks Shaysfishys. What species do you have? If I get mine going maybe we could trade some eggs.
Back to top Go down
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain
Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

PostSubject: Re: Hatching Killifish eggs   Hatching Killifish eggs Icon_minitime8/26/2010, 11:54 am

Your Welcome!!

Currently down to N'Sukka which I've had since the beginning of raising killifish and if you want to trade eggs or fish at some point would be more than glad to.

At one point was up to 10 different species, hopefully here soon will be back into at least having 4 - 6 species and a rack again just dedicated to them as before actually do have the rack LOL and all the killifish tanks sitting on it just waiting for me to get in gear
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hatching Killifish eggs   Hatching Killifish eggs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hatching Killifish eggs
Page 1 of 1