UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **

Go down 
+14
snoskiur
ClarkeExotics
parkmond131
ronmar
TankGirl
steves_kiki
Cichlid Lover
Ben
Ryan H
jb1edlover
williemcd
strikingthematch
KMX
D'Claro
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
D'Claro
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
D'Claro

** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **   ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Icon_minitime4/4/2011, 12:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

The next meeting of the Virginia Chapter will be on

Sunday, May 22 at 2:00 PM

Place:
Cichlid Solutions
6405 Dickens Place, Suite D
Richmond Va.

welcome Come out and meet your fellow hobbyists in Virginia!
Hear what your fellow hobbyists are doing in the hobby today!

*NEW* at this meeting - A short presentation by a club member.
Come out and hear the owner of Cichlid Solutions,
Mark Snead, give a talk on Aquarium Maintenance!
As Cichlid Lover, Mark is also a USAfishbox sponsor!

Take a tour of Mark's shop. socialize with your friends - old and new! - eat some snacks, and then get ready for our popular ...

Mini-Auction!
Many of our members have gently-used or NEW items to donate!
Check it out:

DRY GOODS!
  • Marineland Eclipse 6 system set-up,
    5 Gallon reptile tank,
    6.5 foot siphon with large diameter uptake tube,
    Real river rocks,
    pleco breeding boxes/caves,
    homemade caves for cichlids or any fish,
    T-shirts!
... and more!

From Central Aquatics ... *new*
  • 25" aquarium scraper kits
    Cord organizer kits
... and more!

From CaribSea ...
  • South Seas Base Rock
    African Cichlid Mix substrate - 5.0mm-10.0mm grain size
    African Cichlid Mix substrate - Sahara Sand fine grain
    Coco-Soft Reptile Bedding
...and more!

Purple-Up!
- 4 oz. bottles!
Blue Iguana Cal-Stron 10u powder - 6 oz. JARS!
2,000 (seems like it) cans of fish food from TETRA! crazy

LIVE FISH! fish
3" to 5" mbuna
2" Albino Malawi eye-biter! Dimidiochromis compressiceps *new*
red zebra cichlids - Pseudotropheus or Metriaclima estherae - juveniles and fry!
Possibly some sunset platy fry - Xiphophorus maculatus - Pretty!

LIVE SNAILS!
Yes, Snails! Very useful in the aquarium and make interesting pets, too.
- Pomacea bridgesii (effusa) - baby GOLD Mystery snails! *new*
- Melanoides tuberculata - Malaysian trumpet snails (MTS) - the famous substrate-turning snail, keeps the sand or gravel aerated!

PLANTS!
  • Salvinia minima - free-floating water fern!
    Taxiphyllum barbieri AKA Java moss, a useful favorite! Great for fry.

Live fish and plants!
Donations of fish and plants will be listed here as the list is finalized!
Keep checking back for new items. fishing

Vendor donations!
More items from API, SeaChem, CaribSea, and TETRA have arrived!
Check the list for updates.

75/25 split!
Proceeds from the auction will be split a fair 75/25, with 75% of the sale going to the seller! $$$

Donations Welcome!
Donations of aquarium related items are welcome!
Post your donated item on this thread
or pm parkmond 131 or me.

Don't miss it! It's a great time!
You'll meet some new folks, share your ideas, learn something new, and maybe leave with a great bargain! ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 393849

Hope you can make it!

Virginia Chapter
usafishbox
DON'T MISS IT!

Last edited by D'Claro on 5/13/2011, 11:08 am; edited 8 times in total (Reason for editing : To update donations list.)
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
snoskiur
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **   ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/14/2011, 9:27 am

On another note... does anyone have any White or Inkfin Calvus they could bring to trade for my albino Dimidiochromis compressiceps or red zebras? The only ones I can ever find are so small they get eaten in my tank...

Here's what he should look like as an adult:

** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 23025
** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 101_24_df3d93780a

Thanks!
Todd
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **   ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/14/2011, 9:39 pm

Kin if you want to bring the platy fry Ill bid on them lol. My community tank has so much going on a few more platys couldnt hurt.

Wish I could help you out on the eye biter Snoskiur but my african tank doesnt allow it atm.
Back to top Go down
steves_kiki
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
steves_kiki

Favorite Fish: : I love them all and snails!

PostSubject: Re: ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **   ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/14/2011, 10:33 pm

Okey dokey!
Back to top Go down
parkmond131
Sergeant
Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : Peacock's & Haps for watching, "Flounder for eating" Yum

PostSubject: Re: ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **   ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/20/2011, 4:54 pm

snoskiur wrote:
On another note... does anyone have any White or Inkfin Calvus they could bring to trade for my albino Dimidiochromis compressiceps or red zebras? The only ones I can ever find are so small they get eaten in my tank...

Here's what he should look like as an adult:

** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 23025
** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 101_24_df3d93780a

Thanks!
Todd

Can't help ya out with that one, but that's a good looking fish. usafishbox
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **   ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/21/2011, 7:36 pm

Is anyone interesting in bidding on/buying some of my larger angel fish fry. If so please let me know. I have a bunch ready to go as well as a batch of nearly quarter size fry. I ask because I would prefer for them not to have to make a 4+ hour round trip + meeting time if they don't have to. Thanks!

** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 05152014

** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 05152016
Back to top Go down
steves_kiki
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
steves_kiki

PostSubject: Re: ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **   ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/21/2011, 7:55 pm

I'm ok on angelfish now... but I may contact you in the future for some!

Also, people....if you can bring 10s and 5s if available, for the auction...it would help me out a lot! Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
snoskiur
Sergeant
Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids; mostly peacocks and haps

PostSubject: Re: ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **   ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/21/2011, 8:41 pm

Just throwing it out there again... Does anyone have any White and/or Inkfin Calvus they'd part with or trade?

Thanks!
Todd
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

PostSubject: Re: ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **   ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/21/2011, 9:54 pm

Wish I could help you out on the calvus Todd.

I think I will be bringing a 20L if anybody isinterested in it.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **   ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/22/2011, 8:52 am

HAVE A BLAST TODAY!!! TAKE SOME PICS AND VIDEO IF YOU CAN!!!

PARTY TIME!

usafishbox usafishbox ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 772341 ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 393849 yes

Wish I could be with yall! ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 395554
Back to top Go down
D'Claro
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
D'Claro

PostSubject: Re: ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **   ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/22/2011, 9:05 am

Today's the Day! ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 326269

Bring small bills ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 641287 , if you have any.

5's, 10's, and 1's will keep the cash flowing at the auction.

--------------------------------
Thanks for the good wishes, KMX!
** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 102652
Back to top Go down
steves_kiki
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
steves_kiki

PostSubject: Re: ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **   ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/22/2011, 11:42 am

Thanks deborah. I have some small bills.... :)
Back to top Go down
steves_kiki
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
steves_kiki

PostSubject: Re: ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **   ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/22/2011, 5:27 pm

** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 IMG_20110522_145204

1 pic but you can't see many people
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

PostSubject: Re: ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **   ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/22/2011, 6:23 pm

Had a good time at the meeting and picked up a few items along with 2 new fish. Thank you to everybody who came and everybody who brought stuff to help participate.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **   ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/22/2011, 7:57 pm

Thanks for another great meeting! Well worth the drive and my new male Kenyi is doing well and immediately found my female haha. Looking forward to the next meeting already.
Back to top Go down
snoskiur
Sergeant
Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids; mostly peacocks and haps

PostSubject: Re: ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **   ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/22/2011, 9:30 pm

Good to be at the first meeting of ASCV!

hehe
Back to top Go down
TankGirl
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
TankGirl

Favorite Fish: : Lake Tanganyikan cichlids

PostSubject: Re: ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **   ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/22/2011, 10:10 pm

It was great to see everyone again and I look forward to our next meeting. We need to nail down a date in July.

The first Sunday in July is the weekend of the 4th, so I'm wondering if we might want to start using the second Sunday of every other month to avoid some of the holidays that might impact attendance?

I had a great time today and am impressed with how everyone gets along so well and comes to agreement remarkably easily - that's no small thing when you get a group of strangers together!

A great big thumb's up to all who attended, and also to those who could not but plan to attend in July - let's all work on recruiting more members!
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **   ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/23/2011, 8:34 am

TankGirl wrote:
It was great to see everyone again and I look forward to our next meeting. We need to nail down a date in July.

The first Sunday in July is the weekend of the 4th, so I'm wondering if we might want to start using the second Sunday of every other month to avoid some of the holidays that might impact attendance?

I had a great time today and am impressed with how everyone gets along so well and comes to agreement remarkably easily - that's no small thing when you get a group of strangers together!

A great big thumb's up to all who attended, and also to those who could not but plan to attend in July - let's all work on recruiting more members!

Great to hear!!!

Let me know if you all need any help. Don't 4get those CL adds help a bunch!
Back to top Go down
zeashness
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeashness

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angels (lovvvee platnium veils!), Diamond Tetras, Rainbows, African Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **   ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/23/2011, 11:48 am

Well worth the drive and my new male Kenyi is doing well and immediately found my female haha.

True enough on both accounts! I mean they IMMEDIATELY found each other. It was kind of cool to watch.

I'm stilling trying to find out if my mother/youngest siblings are coming to visit in July and when. We should be able to make the next meeting if it doesn't coincide with that. However, if everyone is ok with it, I might bring my little brother (12) and sister (9) with along with us because they find the fish stuff quite fascinating. So we'll see. Otherwise again, count us in.

I took a bunch of pictures which I'll resize and upload later on once I'm done with work.
Back to top Go down
D'Claro
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
D'Claro

PostSubject: Re: ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **   ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/23/2011, 12:59 pm

I would be fine with your little brother and sister if the host of the meeting was. In fact, it's a great idea to bring kids to the meeting and get them interested in the hobby.

We will most likely hold our next meeting at someone's house or a park, and hold a BBQ or cookout type of meeting instead of the more formal indoors one.

All ages should enjoy that!
Back to top Go down
zeashness
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeashness

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angels (lovvvee platnium veils!), Diamond Tetras, Rainbows, African Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **   ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/23/2011, 1:07 pm

In fact, it's a great idea to bring kids to the meeting and get them interested in the hobby.

That's what I was thinking. My little brother actually had an aquarium (I believe a 20 gallon with some neon tetras), but he was much younger at the time and he as well as the adults in the house had no clue how to actually take care of the tank or the fish. But ever since seeing all of our aquarium pictures, he keeps begging my mom to re-setup the tank, but she refuses to because she's just afraid it won't be taken care of properly. We're going to educate him regardless when they're here, but I know he'd love to tag along he's here the same time as the next meeting. And since they're driving in, if we're doing another auction, he might want to bid on a few things to take home with him for his tank.
Back to top Go down
FloodWall
Private
Private
FloodWall

Favorite Fish: : All Fish

PostSubject: Re: ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **   ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/23/2011, 3:30 pm

Looking forward to the next meeting!
Back to top Go down
Cichlid Lover
USA Fishbox Sponsor
Cichlid Lover

Favorite Fish: : Peacocks

PostSubject: Re: ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **   ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/23/2011, 4:38 pm

GREAT meeting!! It was a lot of fun and it was nice that we had some new people show up. Way to go VA. ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 265353 fish bowl
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

PostSubject: Re: ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **   ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/24/2011, 12:17 am

I think it would be awesome to have your siblings come along. Any chance you get to get kids involved in the hobby is always a plus.
Back to top Go down
zeashness
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeashness

PostSubject: Re: ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **   ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/24/2011, 11:46 am

Here's the photos I took!

Striking won the door prize. Lots of cool goodies, and he was actually sporting the Seachem shirt yesterday LOL:

** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 05242011010

** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 05242011014

** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 05242011015

** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 05242011016

Some of the many cool auction items:

** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 05242011019

** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 05242011020

** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 05242011021

We won the bid on this really nice piece of driftwood. It's going to look awesome in our 280 Discus tank once we get it setup (soon I hope!):

** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 05242011025

Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

PostSubject: Re: ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **   ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/24/2011, 3:29 pm

Thankyou for posting the pics Ash.
Back to top Go down
D'Claro
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
D'Claro

PostSubject: Re: ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **   ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/24/2011, 4:34 pm

Great pix, Ash! ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 393849 And a *nice one* by Kin on the previous page.

I'll do some ID for those who don't know us and may be interested!

Kin's pic on page 8, by user name L to R:
** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 IMG_20110522_145204
-------------------------------------------------------------
Standing, back row - Ben.
Sitting, last row - strikingthematch, zeashness, and a Cichlid Solutions customer. He came to the meeting via an invitation from Mark.
Middle row - snoskiur (in light green shirt), D'Claro, and TankGirl.
Front row - ronmar.
Standing, front - Cichlid Lover.

Ash's 6th pic on page 9, by user name L to R:
** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 05242011020
-----------------------------------------------------------
Facing camera - Cichlid Lover, parkmond131, steves_kiki, Ben, and strikingthematch.
Back to camera - D'Claro, ronmar, TankGirl.
Way over to the left of D'Claro - Steve, of steves_kiki *lol* He's been to every meeting!
Kneeling in front of tanks, far right - parkmond's GF. She's been to every meeting, too!

These two pix cover all those that attended, I think.
It was a great meet, IMO. I had a great time and came away with a very awesome piece of wood pictured in the fifth pic on page 9 - you can see the edge of it sticking up. It was a massive 21" X 15".
Thanks, JB!

Some auction items are pictured on the previous page - medium and large pieces of Philippines base rock, African root wood, water conditioners and adjusters, African cichlid sand (bag and bucket!) 5, 15, and 20 gallon tanks, and some wonderful fish including an albino eye-biter! *Kin's giant pond snails were amazing!*

Cichlid Lover (Mark) gave a great presentation on aquarium maintenance and we talked about a club field trip to see some of the largest tanks that he maintains through his business. Looking forward to that!
** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 326269
*Thanks very much to Mark for letting us hold the meeting at Cichlid Solutions!*

Last edited by D'Claro on 5/24/2011, 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To add photos to post.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **   ** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! ** - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

** Virginia Chapter - May 22 Meeting! **
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next