UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

changing substrate

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Snookemz
Sergeant
Sergeant
Snookemz

Favorite Fish: : believe it or not, I just love guppies.

changing substrate Empty
PostSubject: changing substrate   changing substrate Icon_minitime2/20/2011, 10:19 pm

So umm...how does one go about this?
I have this dorky blue gravel that my son (who was then 3) picked out and I'm ready for something the plants will like more. I've got a lot of fish, a lot of snails, some plants (I need more - who's gonna send me plants? You? K thanks) and some lovely little mussels and clams that I've had for years. I'm gonna need to move these dudes, right? The other tank is a 10gallon that I haven't set up yet - they'll all fit for a bit but they'll be MAD! It just sounds like such a daunting task. I need a man for these things, one who takes to the whole helpless kitten look.
Any helpful hints here?
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

changing substrate Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing substrate   changing substrate Icon_minitime2/20/2011, 10:26 pm

When I used gravel and had to remove it, Just use a hose and siphon out. You'll have to use a large enough hose to get the gravel out. You can siphon into a bucket , very easy to do. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Snookemz
Sergeant
Sergeant
Snookemz

changing substrate Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing substrate   changing substrate Icon_minitime2/20/2011, 10:51 pm

I have a siphone and hose...would need to make some uh....adjustment sinces it made in a way that prevents sucking up rocks. dang simple solutions that I can't come up with.
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

changing substrate Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing substrate   changing substrate Icon_minitime2/20/2011, 10:57 pm

lol! Yea it;s very easy once you get the siphon going. You won't have any problems.
Back to top Go down
Snookemz
Sergeant
Sergeant
Snookemz

changing substrate Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing substrate   changing substrate Icon_minitime2/21/2011, 11:20 am

this is exactly why I'm not lettin my son pick out the substrate next time - I do NOT want a repeat of this post in a couple of years lol
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

changing substrate Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing substrate   changing substrate Icon_minitime2/21/2011, 11:40 am

lol! OR you can can always have a siphon available ready when the gravel needs a change. this will allow him to be involved with the fish tanks. Don't listen to me ,i don't know what I'm talking about! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Snookemz
Sergeant
Sergeant
Snookemz

changing substrate Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing substrate   changing substrate Icon_minitime2/21/2011, 11:43 am

psh I LIKE my fish too much to make him do that - the kid has ADHD, I can just see how he could kill fish with that adventure. I barely let him feed the fish because he manages to screw it up dramatically lol like I dunno....giving the fish a full can because "I thought that was one meal!"
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

Favorite Fish: : Angels and hopefully soon Discus

changing substrate Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing substrate   changing substrate Icon_minitime2/21/2011, 12:46 pm

What size tank are you replacing the soil in? I just did a 29 and a 50... scooped it out of the tank with a plastic colander.. (My wife was out shopping AND it's my kitchen anyway). Scooped it into a 5 gal bucket.. Took it to the tub in the guest bath grabbed a smaller 2 gallon bucket and put about 1/10 in the bucket and kept it under a wide open tap. Stirring it up with my hands.. Emptied it into yet another 5g bucket. (They ended up raw!).. kept doing that till got it all done!
So when ya restart are you going to put soil down first? Covered by sand or gravel?
Back to top Go down
cwillis
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
cwillis

Favorite Fish: : all of them that the problem but I do favor the shubunkins.

changing substrate Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing substrate   changing substrate Icon_minitime2/21/2011, 1:38 pm

williemcd wrote:
scooped it out of the tank with a plastic colander.. (My wife was out shopping AND it's my kitchen anyway).

LOL, that is totally something I have/would and will do.
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Favorite Fish: : Mollys, BN plec, and Thoracochromis brauschi

changing substrate Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing substrate   changing substrate Icon_minitime2/21/2011, 10:19 pm

I used a large fish net to scoop out my rocks becuase the poo and gunk is what the plants will use for nutrience so i removed half the water and started scooping out with a net. Then i let all the gunk settle while i washed and washed and washed my sand (used a sand called "all purpose sand" which is pretty much silica sand i got it from lowes for like 3 bucks for a 50 pnd bag) and as i rinsed and when i thought it was done i rinsed some more then i started pooring it in. If you use sand, dont forget to turn off your pumps and what not the sand will destroy your filters. you can keep your fish in the tank while you do all this it doesnt hurt them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

changing substrate Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing substrate   changing substrate Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

changing substrate
Page 1 of 1