UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

What substrate?

Go down 
+3
KMX
MIKEJ0226
Holey Rock of Texas
7 posters
AuthorMessage

What substrate? Empty
PostSubject: What substrate?   What substrate? Icon_minitime8/16/2009, 7:06 pm

I want to know what substrates you have in your tanks fish
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

What substrate? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What substrate?   What substrate? Icon_minitime8/16/2009, 7:42 pm

sand in all of them.
Back to top Go down

What substrate? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What substrate?   What substrate? Icon_minitime8/16/2009, 8:13 pm

In my 10g I have just sand
My 20g I have gravel. I will be changing to sand soon
In my 75g I have 1/4" of boiled potting soil mixed with laterite and topped with sand. Excellent mix for plants.
Back to top Go down
MIKEJ0226
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
MIKEJ0226

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids

What substrate? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What substrate?   What substrate? Icon_minitime8/16/2009, 8:37 pm

Sand in all of mine. This is great for African cichlids. Since we have rock hard water here in AZ.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

What substrate? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What substrate?   What substrate? Icon_minitime8/16/2009, 10:29 pm

MIKEJ0226 wrote:
Sand in all of mine. This is great for African cichlids. Since we have rock hard water here in AZ.

What substrate? 858205
Back to top Go down
R2 Ranch
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
R2 Ranch

Favorite Fish: : Any that belong to me.

What substrate? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What substrate?   What substrate? Icon_minitime8/17/2009, 11:42 am

Gravel in most and sand in my 160
Back to top Go down
scheri1
Private
Private
scheri1

What substrate? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What substrate?   What substrate? Icon_minitime8/17/2009, 10:45 pm

I have sand in half and gravel in the other half
Back to top Go down
MasRoberts9
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
MasRoberts9

What substrate? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What substrate?   What substrate? Icon_minitime8/18/2009, 2:04 am

my 10 gallon lightly planted i have natural gravel, soilmaster select, and flourite. in my 20 long i have black flourite and red color quartz, in my 55 i have beige soilmaster select and black colorquartz, in my 75 i have argonite.
Back to top Go down

What substrate? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What substrate?   What substrate? Icon_minitime8/19/2009, 8:03 pm

I have a fine white silica sand in my 125, 50, 30, three 20's, and two 10's.
I have a larger grain white sand in four 10's.

I have about 6 or 7 five gal buckets of different kinds of natural gravel for sale or trade.
Back to top Go down
Orthidox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : All kinds of fish

What substrate? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What substrate?   What substrate? Icon_minitime8/20/2009, 10:10 am

I have gravel, I am wondering is sand lighter than gravel?
Back to top Go down
scheri1
Private
Private
scheri1

What substrate? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What substrate?   What substrate? Icon_minitime8/20/2009, 10:16 am

i do not know if sand is lighter then gravel it is just smaller. Some fish like sand because they can dig in it. If you use sand make sure you wash it very very good first
Back to top Go down

What substrate? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What substrate?   What substrate? Icon_minitime8/20/2009, 11:00 am

I would guess its lighter. Here's the reasoning behind it. 1 sq ft of sand is more dense that 1 sq ft of gravel that has air/water gaps all through it.
Back to top Go down

What substrate? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What substrate?   What substrate? Icon_minitime8/21/2009, 7:25 pm

Fern wrote:
I would guess its lighter. Here's the reasoning behind it. 1 sq ft of sand is more dense that 1 sq ft of gravel that has air/water gaps all through it.

I think ya got it bass ackwards!
If ya have the same depth of sand and gravel,
sand will weigh more bcuz it is more dense while gravel has spaces full of air.
Back to top Go down

What substrate? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What substrate?   What substrate? Icon_minitime8/22/2009, 7:15 am

What substrate? 858205 That's what I meant. I just forgot the noun in the first sentence.

I would guess gravel is lighter. fish
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What substrate? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What substrate?   What substrate? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What substrate?
Page 1 of 1