UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Substrate for Brackish Tank?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SchutzhundJunkie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
SchutzhundJunkie

Favorite Fish: : I really love the big boys, but I have a place in my heart for all fish. I guess my current favorite is my Chocolate (turning Orange) Oranda.

Substrate for Brackish Tank? Empty
PostSubject: Substrate for Brackish Tank?   Substrate for Brackish Tank? Icon_minitime2/8/2011, 11:11 am

I have a couple of green spotted puffers (young). I have been acclimating them to brackish water. They are doing great.

I would like to change the gravel out as I have read that they should be kept on crushed coral.... I have also read that crushed coral is bad. I am a bit confused.

I am looking for suggestions H E L P !!

Thank you,

Julie
Back to top Go down
SchutzhundJunkie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
SchutzhundJunkie

Favorite Fish: : I really love the big boys, but I have a place in my heart for all fish. I guess my current favorite is my Chocolate (turning Orange) Oranda.

PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Brackish Tank?   Substrate for Brackish Tank? Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 7:22 pm

I researched a lot and most people who keep GSP recomend sand.... So I sucked it up and spent $33 on the heavy "bigger" pre-seeded marine sand today. My neighbor daughter helped me- we moved the puffers out, scooped out all of the gravel, removed the under gravel filter added the sand and the sponge filter (still have the HOB). I could only find one sponge filter today- it is huge.

At any rate the tank looks much better me thinks Substrate for Brackish Tank? 393849 I may post some pics when I take some later.

Julie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Brackish Tank?   Substrate for Brackish Tank? Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 7:37 pm

I'm glad you got it figured out... I know nothing of brackish tanks and puffers..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Brackish Tank?   Substrate for Brackish Tank? Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 7:44 pm

fantastic! Yes I would love to see the pics.
Back to top Go down
cwillis
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
cwillis

Favorite Fish: : all of them that the problem but I do favor the shubunkins.

PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Brackish Tank?   Substrate for Brackish Tank? Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 8:13 pm

how big is your tank? what else if anything are you putting in it??

I had a brackish water tank long ago with a couple scats and a school of mono's and an acher fish, along with a puffer. Great looking tank.

Have you ever seen the bumble bee fish? very cute.
Back to top Go down
cwillis
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
cwillis

PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Brackish Tank?   Substrate for Brackish Tank? Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 8:14 pm

Substrate for Brackish Tank? 625877 can't wait to see the photos!!
Back to top Go down
SchutzhundJunkie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
SchutzhundJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Brackish Tank?   Substrate for Brackish Tank? Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 8:53 pm

It is too small for any more fish- only 20 gallons. I am looking for a "craiglist special" 55 or better. I believe this will eventually turn into a full marine tank but I have some time. These guys are only about 1 inch right now and they need at least 40 gallons when they reach maturity. They are pretty aggressive little buggers.

I have another 10 gallon snail, ghost shrimp & crab farm that is brackish with a sand base- this is the puffer chow tank.

I will get some pics soon.

Julie
Back to top Go down
cwillis
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
cwillis

PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Brackish Tank?   Substrate for Brackish Tank? Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 9:15 pm

awesome, I just love fish and everything to do with water! I llike seeing what others have because I don't really have the room for more tanks or the money so I pour my funds into my 80 gallon......I'm living through others! lol!
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Brackish Tank?   Substrate for Brackish Tank? Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 10:12 pm

worthlesswopic lol!
Back to top Go down
joodie
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : Betta, Blood Parrot, Arrowana

PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Brackish Tank?   Substrate for Brackish Tank? Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 9:57 pm

where are the pics! I'm actually thinking of starting a brackish tank. I'm hounding craigslist now.

Back to top Go down
SchutzhundJunkie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
SchutzhundJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Brackish Tank?   Substrate for Brackish Tank? Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 10:30 pm

Sorry- I got busy & forgot :)

Substrate for Brackish Tank? Curious

Substrate for Brackish Tank? Fatso

I found some fresh shrimp headed but not cleaned. I will let them eat it once in awhile.

Substrate for Brackish Tank? Puffersshrimpfeast21511

That vertabrae is from a SeaLion. I have a couple SeaLion skulls I want to boil off and put in the tank when I upgrade to the "bigger" marine tank. They are pretty cool with big teeth. My husband find weird stuff like this for me when he goes out to the Islands to work.

Substrate for Brackish Tank? Wheresthesnails

Julie crazy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Brackish Tank?   Substrate for Brackish Tank? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Substrate for Brackish Tank?
Page 1 of 1