UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids, Bristlenose Plecos and Koi

Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank Empty
PostSubject: Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank   Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank Icon_minitime4/18/2010, 3:54 pm

Decided I needed to put some money into buying a decent light system if I want to keep my plants alive. Going to convert my 40 Breeder into a planted tank. I figured the deeper the tank, the better I can aquascap with driftwood and rocks. I need help setting this up...since I'm a cichlid guy, I know poop about planted tanks.

Lighting: High Output T5's vs. Power Compacts? Any thoughts?

I know I need the 6700 and not the 10K/Actinic Lighting... but that's where my scope of knowledge ends.

From the looks of it, I need to boil some potting soil and place a layer of sand on top... then use tabs for fertilizer.

Filtration wise I'll probably use 2 AC50's set with one on the L and one on the R.

So lets hear it...Planted Guru's where ya'll at?... H E L P !!

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+13733&pcatid=13733

Is $209 a decent price for this thing? Anyone have any economical alternatives to getting good lighting for any cheaper?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank   Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank Icon_minitime4/18/2010, 4:08 pm

I use regular plant/ aquarium bulbs from home dept. If you can get it near a window you wont need as much for lighting. Getting a jug of flourish excel will help, use it when you think of it. potting soil should be 1/4-1" deep, and the sand close to double the thickness of the dirt.
Never get duplicates of plants get several different kinds, you will find a few that you just cant grow. When you find those don't replace them with the same kind move to something different.
When planting just be random about it, it gives you the most natural look. The only thing you need to watch when your planting is put short stuff by the filter intake and keep the tall stuff a little bit away.
You will need to poke around in your sand 2x every week to start with. One thing about using the dirt is it creates some gasses that need to be knocked up and out, some use chop sticks I use my fingers. You will have to get the hang of it to see how often you will need to poke it.
Don't vacuum unless it gets really yucky then just on the surface, the plants use all the debris for its nutrients.
Plants will pop up from time to time till they get well rooted, if you plan on having corys in there... they will let you know where they want their plants, if the pop up just plant them somewhere else till you and the corys come to an agreement on where it all should go.
Wood is a nice addition to a planted tank, most any hardwood will work. Just be sure its very very dead and boil it for a few days to water log it and get some of the tannins out. There are quite a few plants that like to grow on driftwood.

Did I miss anything?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank   Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank Icon_minitime4/18/2010, 4:11 pm

oh, get a box of laterite and mix it in with the dirt, it helps.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank   Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank Icon_minitime4/18/2010, 5:12 pm

ferns way is the way to go. nice and easy and it works.

i would go with aquariumplants.com substrate or turface pro for substrate.
one t-5 bulb HO would be plenty of light for low and medium lights plants.
2 bulbs and you will need co2 and fert regimine.
i have a 40 breeder also and
i bought this lamp and it has a 5 yr warranty on the ballast.
you can call them and they will custom make you a lamp or 2 seperate cords for the one im talking about.
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=71_136&products_id=1416

i dont like 65k bulb,.there too yellow/green. im using them now but will get only 10k next time

and some root tabs and your good to go.
also i use hydor koralia nano or koralia1 for additonal flow instead of more filtration.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank   Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank Icon_minitime4/18/2010, 6:36 pm

Alan's method is great as well, depends on how much you want to spend and how hands on you want to be, mine is cheaper but a little more effort in start up, Alan's is a little more expensive and less effort in start up.
I would only use one of the ac50's in the middle on the back. With a decent amount of plants you don't need much filtration and water changes are fewer as well. Plus most stem plants don't like a lot of flow, vals and stuff work well near the filter flow.
Oh and top soil is best to use, you wont have to worry about the Styrofoam balls or manure being in it.

Just remember; planed tanks are pretty easy!
Back to top Go down
thebanker
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
thebanker

PostSubject: Re: Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank   Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank Icon_minitime4/18/2010, 10:03 pm

i say add both filters, not only for better water quality, but poor water circulation can lead to some algae problems. look up the brand Odyssea for t5ho fixture at a economical price. I would start off with a low light setup with some easy growing plants though. Coralife makes some regular t5 fixtures. i think it would work great for a low light setup and i don't think the 36" fixture cost much. Like Fern mentioned flourish excel is a good product.
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

PostSubject: Re: Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank   Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank Icon_minitime4/18/2010, 10:16 pm

How about this on a Planted 30L?

http://www.bigalsonline.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&siId=1379085&catParentID=57011&scId=57011&ctl_nbr=3684&utm_source=Froogle&utm_campaign=FroogleUSA+Datafeed&utm_medium=Comparison+Shopping&CAWELAID=388698127

Is it okay to paint the back and sides of a planted tank or does it matter?

I'm debating the 40Breeder vs 30L... lol.

Last edited by h0ngkn0t2 on 4/18/2010, 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank   Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank Icon_minitime4/18/2010, 10:17 pm

My planted 75g has only a AC 70 filter and a small sponge, not a spot of algae on the glass and I don't have any algae eaters in there either and it gets a lot of direct sun. If its a true planted tank (50% or more) then you can do the lower filtration.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank   Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank Icon_minitime4/18/2010, 10:18 pm

I personally think that's a bit overkill... but that's me.
Its easier to see the plants if you don't paint the tank........
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

PostSubject: Re: Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank   Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank Icon_minitime4/18/2010, 10:23 pm

hmn... I ask because my 30L is painted black on all sides. Maybe I'll just keep it as a growout. Less work if I just make the 40 Breeder a Planted tank.

It's not near a window, so I might just have to get the Catalina Light fixture. $125

Could I have one 10K and one 6700 bulb? or both 6700...or both 10K. I know actinics are useless in a F/W set up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank   Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank Icon_minitime4/18/2010, 10:26 pm

I have always used the phillips plant bulbs from home depot with success... even not being close to a window, they are cheap and if you decide you need more light you just hang a 2nd fixture.
I ain't never done used none of that there fancy stuff yall talkin bout crazy
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

PostSubject: Re: Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank   Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank Icon_minitime4/18/2010, 10:33 pm

LOL Fern. I'll try the cheaper route first... we shall see.. I'll keep ya'll posted. Thanks for all the input guys.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank   Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank Icon_minitime4/18/2010, 10:46 pm

I think the 4' plant bulbs are $10 each and a double bulb 4' fixture you can get for $10 if you get an el-cheapo, so if you decide to go higher tech you aren't out much at all.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank   Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank Icon_minitime4/18/2010, 11:08 pm

odyssea is a great price, on ebay you could score one for like 50 bucks.
Back to top Go down
thebanker
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
thebanker

PostSubject: Re: Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank   Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank Icon_minitime4/19/2010, 2:02 pm

i dont know about the sides, but all my planted tanks have blk backgrounds, it really helps contrast the green in the plants imo. I have a coralife fixture so it has a 10k bulb and a colormax. i cant remember the color specturm on the colormax though. You should be good with a 10k and 6700k bulb. It will be a nice white color instead of a yellowish tint coming from the bulbs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank   Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank Icon_minitime4/19/2010, 5:21 pm

I go natural for the background... if the algae grows there I never scrape it off, it looks really nice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank   Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lighting, substrate, filtration for Planted Tank
Page 1 of 1