UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Bare Bottom or substrate

Go down 
+8
Madmax0r
elfwolfe
alan j t
alkomist
Holey Rock of Texas
plantedtankdude
lifeisgood
Startingover365
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Startingover365
Private
Private
Startingover365

Favorite Fish: : Dwarf Shrimp,Dwarf Crayfish,it is amazing to watch the shrimp and crays on a daily basis

Bare Bottom or substrate Empty
PostSubject: Bare Bottom or substrate   Bare Bottom or substrate Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 3:52 am

I have a few shrimp tanks with gravel,and a few with aqua soil.I am trying to breed the shrimp for a "little extra" income.The tanks are planted and some have moss in them.Since I am new to the ins and outs to what really works in breeding tanks,should they have less decorations in the tank or decorated for them to feel at home (secure) to do their natural thing
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: Bare Bottom or substrate   Bare Bottom or substrate Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 7:00 am

I'm a fan of live planted tanks for inverts.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: Bare Bottom or substrate   Bare Bottom or substrate Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 7:17 am

it's how ever you want to do. i have a person in my plant club who has a jungle of moss in his shrimp tanks, and they breed like crazy.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Bare Bottom or substrate   Bare Bottom or substrate Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 9:19 am

bare bottom is easy to clean but a substrate looks better.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Bare Bottom or substrate   Bare Bottom or substrate Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 9:25 am

can you guys move this thread to the right forum....?
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: Bare Bottom or substrate   Bare Bottom or substrate Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 2:28 pm

inverts breeding are a must in a plnted tank. the baby shrimp, or whatever theyre called need the micro for food, moss and plants provide that.
Back to top Go down
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

Favorite Fish: : graduating from community fish to aggressive fish (cichlids), but will always have a soft spot for my krbs and betta's.

PostSubject: Re: Bare Bottom or substrate   Bare Bottom or substrate Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 4:15 pm

I have a bare bottom tank with java moss and two fake jelly fish for my cherry and blue pearl shrimp, then my ghost shrimp are in a planted tank with sand as the substrate and both tanks are breeding!
Back to top Go down
Madmax0r
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Madmax0r

Favorite Fish: : Texas Cichlids (mainly Herichthys cyanoguttatus), Rock bass, and other native Texas fish

PostSubject: Re: Bare Bottom or substrate   Bare Bottom or substrate Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 4:40 pm

elfwolfe wrote:
I have a bare bottom tank with java moss and two fake jelly fish for my cherry and blue pearl shrimp, then my ghost shrimp are in a planted tank with sand as the substrate and both tanks are breeding!

lol, that seems to happen to everyone eventually =) im up to 320 ish
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Favorite Fish: : Mollys, BN plec, and Thoracochromis brauschi

PostSubject: Re: Bare Bottom or substrate   Bare Bottom or substrate Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 5:01 pm

lifeisgood wrote:
I'm a fan of live planted tanks for inverts.

Bare Bottom or substrate 858205
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

PostSubject: Re: Bare Bottom or substrate   Bare Bottom or substrate Icon_minitime5/15/2011, 12:39 pm

bare bottom is; from my own experience, for the "bare-bones business end" and substrate is for tanks that want to be shown off. i suppose its preference on the matter. im setting up a bare bottom 40gal to house marble crays in to use as feeders (if i can ever get any!!!!!) while my 40g breeder tank has Tahitian Moon black sand (bloody expensive at 22$ per 20lb bag cry ) essentially business and show
Back to top Go down
Madmax0r
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Madmax0r

Favorite Fish: : Texas Cichlids (mainly Herichthys cyanoguttatus), Rock bass, and other native Texas fish

PostSubject: Re: Bare Bottom or substrate   Bare Bottom or substrate Icon_minitime5/15/2011, 1:38 pm

I like the substrate, It will complement the biological filtration
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: Bare Bottom or substrate   Bare Bottom or substrate Icon_minitime5/15/2011, 3:25 pm

All my tanks are bare bottom, much easier to keep clean.
My 3 ponds outside are also bare bottom. My fish load is
very heavy. I guess it's individual preference. I do know that it
hasn't stopped the breeding lol
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

PostSubject: Re: Bare Bottom or substrate   Bare Bottom or substrate Icon_minitime5/15/2011, 5:23 pm

Madmax0r wrote:
I like the substrate, It will complement the biological filtration
yeah, but in a bare bottom, that can easily solved by using a big sponge filter
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: Bare Bottom or substrate   Bare Bottom or substrate Icon_minitime5/15/2011, 6:34 pm

i guess both ways work for inverts. just some plant mass or moss and your good to go.
Back to top Go down
Madmax0r
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Madmax0r

PostSubject: Re: Bare Bottom or substrate   Bare Bottom or substrate Icon_minitime5/15/2011, 8:58 pm

true true,

now days I always stab a big hole in a masonry sponge and put them over any pump intake. its amazing how good they are
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Bare Bottom or substrate   Bare Bottom or substrate Icon_minitime5/16/2011, 10:05 am

For shrimp, I would definately recommend a planted tank.

Snails, you could go either way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bare Bottom or substrate   Bare Bottom or substrate Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bare Bottom or substrate
Page 1 of 1