UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

My planted 29 gallon tank:)

Go down 
+12
LvMyPuffer
scottyofala
KMX
ornate12
Cohazard
Elrollo
plantedtankdude
mike205
Keelo
MarkM
jessecichlidguy
tototori
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
tototori
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : alll of 'em!

My planted 29 gallon tank:) Empty
PostSubject: My planted 29 gallon tank:)   My planted 29 gallon tank:) Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 6:59 pm

Hello, I'm new here! I'm 15 & a fish fanatic!:D
the fish in my tank are: 1 dwarf gourami
4 otos
4 black kuhli loaches
6 neons
I really want to get 2 bolivian rams(male and female), but i can't find them ANYWHERE:((
My planted 29 gallon tank:) 1jaz4w
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My planted 29 gallon tank:)   My planted 29 gallon tank:) Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 7:02 pm

Welcome to the BOX!!!! nice tanks set up! looks awesome! welcome2 you can try places like http:/www.aquabid.com order them, may even find a pair.
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

PostSubject: Re: My planted 29 gallon tank:)   My planted 29 gallon tank:) Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 7:03 pm

nice set up

and welcome to the box feel free to fit right in

pls add your state if possible to your profile
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: My planted 29 gallon tank:)   My planted 29 gallon tank:) Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 7:26 pm

Welcome to the box. Awesome tank!
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Favorite Fish: : Mollys, BN plec, and Thoracochromis brauschi

PostSubject: Re: My planted 29 gallon tank:)   My planted 29 gallon tank:) Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 8:14 pm

Nice tank and welcome!
Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

Favorite Fish: : peacocks and koi

PostSubject: Re: My planted 29 gallon tank:)   My planted 29 gallon tank:) Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 11:11 pm

nice
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: My planted 29 gallon tank:)   My planted 29 gallon tank:) Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 11:23 pm

nice, but I want to be honest with your plants, the plant on the bottom is anubias nana and it grows by a Rhizome it will rot and die if you put it in the ground. you want to tie it around driftwood or a big rock.. the plants by the left corner and heater are CHLOROPHYTUM -white ribbon and not aquatic plants they will rot and die in an aquarium..
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: My planted 29 gallon tank:)   My planted 29 gallon tank:) Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 12:10 am

Nice looking tank. yes
Plantedtankdude is right about your plants unfortunatley those white ribbon plants are sold in a lot of fish stores, but after a month they are dead and killing your fish, Wish they just would not sell them, but o well. It also looks like both your fore ground plants are anubias which should be placed on a rock or on drift wood...like he said the "roots" or Rhizome in this case will rot and kill off the plant.

Just grab some cotton string and tie it to anything in your tank a little way out of the gravel. I see you have a clay pot in the tank I love to tie mine to the front of the pot to make a door way. After a while the string disolves and your plant will naturally adhere to the rock/wood you have in the tank.

Very nice and natural looking set-up, and you are right some Bolivian Rams would look awesome in that tank. Welcome to the fishbox glad you found us and glad you share our fish freakiness
Back to top Go down
tototori
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: My planted 29 gallon tank:)   My planted 29 gallon tank:) Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 12:19 am

aww:( really?
the petco person totally lied to me! well that figures!
So what plants that grow pretty tall do you reccomend?! I'll have to throw those out.
alright, I'll tie that plant to something!
Back to top Go down
tototori
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: My planted 29 gallon tank:)   My planted 29 gallon tank:) Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 12:23 am

thanks, plantedtankdude & elrollo for being honest! I appreciate it!
Back to top Go down
Cohazard
Sergeant
Sergeant
Cohazard

Favorite Fish: : I love the hobby as a whole and I like keeping all types of fish. I can narrow it down to Polypterus delhezi, Erpetoichthys clabaricus, Carinotetraodon irrubesco, angelfish and live bearers.

PostSubject: Re: My planted 29 gallon tank:)   My planted 29 gallon tank:) Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 12:33 am

Great looking tank and I'm glad the other members told you about the plants. The decaying organic matter will mess with your water quality.

What kind of lighting do you have on this tank?

I've had luck with Myriophyllum mattogrossense in my 30g under 24" T5HO light, no CO2, no fert.

You could also use onion plant, looks like jungle val,but grows from a bulb.

Aponogetons also grow from bulbs, work well in low-light setups, and grow tall.

Even Cryptocoryne wendtii could work. Mine is growing tall under low light conditions.
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: My planted 29 gallon tank:)   My planted 29 gallon tank:) Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 12:39 am

Again Welcome!! Very nice tank! Lots of friendly people here.
Enjoy yourself!

hi welcome2 welcome
Back to top Go down
tototori
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: My planted 29 gallon tank:)   My planted 29 gallon tank:) Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 1:10 am

thanks!!
& Im not really sure what kind of lighting it is, could i find it on the bulb?
Back to top Go down
Cohazard
Sergeant
Sergeant
Cohazard

Favorite Fish: : I love the hobby as a whole and I like keeping all types of fish. I can narrow it down to Polypterus delhezi, Erpetoichthys clabaricus, Carinotetraodon irrubesco, angelfish and live bearers.

PostSubject: Re: My planted 29 gallon tank:)   My planted 29 gallon tank:) Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 1:35 am

Possibly. Most times the bulb will have the size listed (t10, t8,t5, etc...) and the color temperature/kelvin rating (10k, 67k, actinic....)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My planted 29 gallon tank:)   My planted 29 gallon tank:) Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 2:00 am

Welcome to the Box. The variegated plants in the background are not aquatic plants and will die and foul up your water so pull them as soon as they show any signs of dying. (pet stores sell them but that's so they can pay the rent). How long has this tank been set up? Looks good so far.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: My planted 29 gallon tank:)   My planted 29 gallon tank:) Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 8:18 am

Nice! 15 and already a fish freak!

welcome wee young buck. Getting MTS at an early age is always healthy lol!
Back to top Go down
tototori
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: My planted 29 gallon tank:)   My planted 29 gallon tank:) Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 9:35 am

haha, thanks! this tank has been done cycling for 2 months, now! but half the plants(including the white ribbon) are brand new from petco like 2 days ago, and then the other half of the plants i've had for awhile.
the cycling took practically no time because i drained all the water that was in my 20 gallon into it, so all the bacteria was there. then 2 weeks later it was all good!

Back to top Go down
scottyofala
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
scottyofala

Favorite Fish: : angels, discus, fronts,plecos,and well i just like them all!!!!!!

PostSubject: Re: My planted 29 gallon tank:)   My planted 29 gallon tank:) Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 10:32 am

your tank looks grate. welcome to the box. glad to have you with us. welcome
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

PostSubject: Re: My planted 29 gallon tank:)   My planted 29 gallon tank:) Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 1:14 pm

you're welcome... some cryptocoryne or some java fern. some jungle vals, or sag. will grow tall ad are low light.
Back to top Go down
LvMyPuffer
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
LvMyPuffer

PostSubject: Re: My planted 29 gallon tank:)   My planted 29 gallon tank:) Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 1:41 pm

great place to buy more plants...

arizona aquatic gardens

https://www.azgardens.com
Back to top Go down
tototori
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: My planted 29 gallon tank:)   My planted 29 gallon tank:) Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 1:47 pm

-thanks for the link!I think im going to buy a few, but i havent decided yet!

- I took the white ribbon plants out & i have a question about my anubias nana!
Can i put it in the hole of the terra cotta pot(at the bottom of the pot, if it were to stand up straight)? I dont really know where to put it.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

PostSubject: Re: My planted 29 gallon tank:)   My planted 29 gallon tank:) Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 1:54 pm

get a pebble rock from home depot or lowes, or even wallmart..

aquariumplants.com
plantedtank.net
aquaticplantcentral.com
Back to top Go down
LvMyPuffer
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
LvMyPuffer

PostSubject: Re: My planted 29 gallon tank:)   My planted 29 gallon tank:) Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 1:59 pm

since anubias are pretty descent growers, that would be risky to put it into that little hole. the base of the plant will get much larger and make it hard to remove from the pot and the small hole will prevent the plant from growing well.

I think it looks fine where it is.

adding a few tall growing plants on the far sides and back will help with dimension too.

plantedtank.net is a great source of info
and the pic galleries are amazing!! that will give you a thousand ideas (then u just need a thousand dollars to pay for it ;)

adding a good plant substrate will help as well.
eco-complete is a fav, i also have flourite mixed in, but i don't like the color.

flourish plant fertilizer is a great product

my plants are growing like weeds, even without co2 and tons of lighting.
i even need to trim some back cause they are too much for the space.
Back to top Go down
LvMyPuffer
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
LvMyPuffer

PostSubject: Re: My planted 29 gallon tank:)   My planted 29 gallon tank:) Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 2:01 pm

you could even attach your anubias to the wood with some fishing line, eventually it will attach itself :)
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: My planted 29 gallon tank:)   My planted 29 gallon tank:) Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 2:10 pm

Another great site to get plants and plant info. is http://www.sweetaquatics.com/ Dan and Mary are knowledgeable and friendly folks . Just sayin'
Ray
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My planted 29 gallon tank:)   My planted 29 gallon tank:) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My planted 29 gallon tank:)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next