UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

My Sea Horse adventure:)

Go down 
+15
KMX
tbarnwell
Meredith
Keelo
natikah
D'Claro
alkomist
Dr. Who
SeaWitch
Holey Rock of Texas
pillierox1
CajunGator
whisper
wildbeanerz
cwhip
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Icon_minitime1/28/2011, 1:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

I have been wanting to setup a tank dedicated to sea horses and pipe fish for the last couple of years so I decided to just do it! I researched them a couple of years ago but I will need to take a refresher course:) but I am getting the tank its a Red Sea Max 130 plug and play. I plan to do the usual and have black and white CaribSea Ocean direct sand and 35 odd pounds of Tonga Branch live rock I will pick rock that doesn't have sharp edges to keep the ponies safe. I plan to have 2 pairs 2 female and 2 males. I am also going to pay more and buy captive bred sea horses that have already been raised on frozen foods so there wont be an issue with them not eating. I am getting tropical sea horses so I won't need an expensive chiller. so let the fun begin. I will update this thread with pics as things come together. I thought you all might be interested in ponies too:) wish me luck!
heres the tank. I am getting it off craigslist but its a 3 hour drive for me but the guy said he will hang onto it till I can make it down to pick it up. p.s I will paint the tank black and the Sea horses will be Hippocampus erectus I find them fascinating creatures they change color with their moods and environment.
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 3kd3pc3l25Y35Z55P5b1h2deee3e7bd9611f7redseaamax-1
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 3m43o83lc5T45X15R3b1hba9c9cd3f6271a07redseamax2
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 H-erectus
pipefish a close relative of the sea horse.
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 ImagesCA4281PMpipefish
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Icon_minitime4/30/2011, 2:31 pm

That goby is a cool lil dude. What is the orange in pic 4 called?
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Icon_minitime4/30/2011, 2:34 pm

its a cauliflower coral the color is awesome that pic was the day I got it it has better extendsion now... lol off to take more pics
Back to top Go down
D'Claro
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
D'Claro

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/10/2011, 2:00 pm

Most of the time with reef set-ups I don't know what I'm looking at, as far as the various corals and so forth, but I do know a little about gobies and I like that yellow cutie in the last pic. They have such great faces!

So you said you added 70 lbs of rock to the RSM 250. Does that include the 35 lbs from the 130, or did you not move that?

Also, what is super rock, and what is the reason to treat it with seltzer?

It's all looking great! My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 393849
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/10/2011, 3:34 pm

D'Claro wrote:
Most of the time with reef set-ups I don't know what I'm looking at, as far as the various corals and so forth, but I do know a little about gobies and I like that yellow cutie in the last pic. They have such great faces!

So you said you added 70 lbs of rock to the RSM 250. Does that include the 35 lbs from the 130, or did you not move that?

Also, what is super rock, and what is the reason to treat it with seltzer?

It's all looking great! My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 393849

watchman goby have a very cool symbiotic relationship with the pistol shrimp. The goby watches out for predatory fishes and warns the shrimp. The shrimp has limited eye sight and needs the goby to alert them of predators while the goby uses the shrimp's hole as shelter. he stands there on one fin watching the front of the tank:)
no, I still have the 130 running with the origanal rock. super rock is a really nice grade of live rock that already has corals growing on it. the seltzer water dip will get unwated critters out of the rock and wanted ones as well, normally I would worry about it but I need to make sure there is nothing that can harm the seahorses.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/22/2011, 9:21 am

I'm still moving things around so not much is glued up yet but here's what I have so far.
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 003-42-1
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Icon_minitime6/27/2011, 2:57 pm

the Seahorse tank is coming along after the Diatoms and a short battle with Cyano, I moved things around a bit. I think the ponies will like the vivid colors since they change colors with their moods and surroundings. I planned to order them in July but I think I will put it off til late Sept because of shipping and the temps outside. also by then the tank will be up 5 months and definatley stable lol I'm taking no chances with the Seahorses.keep in mind it's still a work in progress.. here is some HH macro algae:) also ponies love yellow but I can't seem to find any brite yellow pony safe corals any ideas?
tank is 2 months and 3 days old.
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 064-5-1
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 071-1-1
My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 085-1
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

Favorite Fish: : As far as fresh water goes, it's Bettas!
For marine fish; Firefish, Cardinalfish, Gobies, Dragonets, and Sharks...

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Icon_minitime6/27/2011, 5:18 pm

That is just so neat!! I can't wait to see pics when your ponies join their new stable! ;)
Back to top Go down
tbarnwell
Sergeant
Sergeant
tbarnwell

Favorite Fish: : Angels, Show guppies, Red Zebra Mbunas
Jack Dempsey's

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Icon_minitime6/27/2011, 5:21 pm

Wow that is next to AMMMMAAAZING, love it love it love it. Beautiful.
Back to top Go down
natikah
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
natikah

Favorite Fish: : fish, fish, fish

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Icon_minitime6/27/2011, 6:35 pm

My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 165198 My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 165198 My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 165198 , that's all I can say. drool
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Icon_minitime6/28/2011, 5:47 am

Thanks guys:) I am taking my time with this build but I can't wait to see ponies in it too, I'm sure the scape will keep evolving before all is said and done.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Icon_minitime6/28/2011, 11:15 am

Very nice. Can't wait to see more.
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Icon_minitime6/28/2011, 11:29 am

Very nice! Love it! No more of that fake neon look that it had in the beginning either. Looks like all the corals are settling in nicely.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Icon_minitime6/28/2011, 11:32 am

yeah they have actually grown, April the hitch hiker algae is the 1st pic its nice and really red I love red in a reef:)
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Icon_minitime6/28/2011, 11:39 am

I saw that red HH algae. Sweet!!!
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Icon_minitime6/28/2011, 11:54 am

fast grower too I'l have to save ya some:)
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Icon_minitime6/28/2011, 11:58 am

Cool! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Icon_minitime6/29/2011, 3:59 pm

anytime, you know you don't live that far away:)
Back to top Go down
Yeti
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, Mbuna & Haps/Peacocks
Bitten by the saltbug

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Icon_minitime6/30/2011, 2:23 am

What a fantastic diary, and what amazing patience you have shown.
I'll be following it from now on.
Back to top Go down
D'Claro
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
D'Claro

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/3/2011, 5:25 pm

cwhip wrote:
I planned to order them in July but I think I will put it off til late Sept because of shipping and the temps outside. also by then the tank will be up 5 months and definatley stable lol I'm taking no chances with the Seahorses.

It seems right to me to wait as long as possible to make sure the tank is really stable. My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 393849 I set up a tank for some tiny Asian catfish in Feb 2010 and added them in May 2011, so I'm with ya' on this one! ;)
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Icon_minitime9/9/2011, 11:38 am

well its been 7 months since I set the pony tank up needless to say my stable is stable :) I moved the RSM to a better location, I swear by those heavy duty furniture movers, 66 gallons,70 lbs live rock, plus live sand and I slide it right where I wanted it. the chiller is hooked up and running and keeping the tank a steady 72 degree's I have the chiller and the heater working together to keep the temp steady but as outside temps begin to fall I will need to watch it closely because I have found with the Red Sea Max 250 it tends to over heat no matter if its 100 degrees outside or 20 below its an enclosed system and the heat from the lights pumps and skimmer etc cause the water temp to soar that tells me that I will need to run the chiller year round:( my next step is to go ahead and purchase the ponies it's getting to the time of year where I'm not as worried about heat and shipping since my ponies are coming from Ocean Rider in Hawaii. ok so I'm ready I will update this thread when they arrive with pic's of acclimation etc....
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Icon_minitime9/9/2011, 11:41 am

P.S. wish me luck they all arrive alive and healthy thats always my #1 concern.
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

Favorite Fish: : As far as fresh water goes, it's Bettas!
For marine fish; Firefish, Cardinalfish, Gobies, Dragonets, and Sharks...

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Icon_minitime9/9/2011, 3:27 pm

Squeeeeeeee! How exciting!!!! I can't wait for their arrival and the updates and pics that will follow! banana dance
Back to top Go down
D'Claro
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
D'Claro

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Icon_minitime9/11/2011, 10:42 pm

cwhip wrote:
P.S. wish me luck they all arrive alive and healthy thats always my #1 concern.

Wishing you the best!
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Icon_minitime9/12/2011, 6:56 am

Good luck Cwhip!
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Icon_minitime9/12/2011, 7:07 am

Thanks Guy's:) now all I need is $$ to place my order they will cost between 300-400 depending on whether I get a couple pipefish..
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Icon_minitime10/10/2011, 9:22 am

Ok finally the ponies are ordered it's been a long 7 months, the tank has been up and running without any issues what so ever!!!! the chiller and heater are working together to keep the tank at an optimum 75 degrees.
PH 8.1
amm 0
trates 0
trites 0
salinity 1.025
here's the stocklist
1 purple firefish
3 red firefish
1 watchman goby
1 Bi color blenny
1 mated pair of Mustangs
1 mated pair of Sun bursts
2 red banded pipefish
I decided to go with all real corals like xenia,Gorg's,leathers,zoa's I am getting ready to place another order now for a couple more corals to finnish the look I'm after off.
they will be delivered this Saturday 10/15/11 pictures to follow:)
LOL I am sooooo nervous... you'd think I'm having a kid or something..
please wish me luck and break out the Cigars My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 690297
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Sea Horse adventure:)   My Sea Horse adventure:) - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Sea Horse adventure:)
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next