UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Horse folk...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

Favorite Fish: : As far as fresh water goes, it's Bettas!
For marine fish; Firefish, Cardinalfish, Gobies, Dragonets, and Sharks...

Horse folk... Empty
PostSubject: Horse folk...   Horse folk... Icon_minitime6/28/2011, 3:14 pm

Just wondering if any of you Fishbox members also have hoof-kids? :)

I sold most of my stock last year, and I'm just down to my 19 year old arab gelding (Letrero) and my yearling (cow bred to the hilt) AQHA stud colt (Mac Elvis)...and my sweeter than sweet standard donk (Ellie).

Of you horse/equine folk... has anyone else had trouble keeping the flies off your animals this year?? It seems that my tried and true fly sprays are NOT doing much of anything!! VERY frustrating for me and I can only imagine how the animals feel!
Back to top Go down
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain
Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

Horse folk... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse folk...   Horse folk... Icon_minitime6/28/2011, 4:00 pm

Yep got ponys!!! 21 year old ROM AAA aqha mare, 12 year old running bred aqha mare, 5 year old running bred aqha mare and 3 year old bs apha filly halter horse

Have you tried the "orange bottle" fly spray, we've haven't had an issue yet here but this stuff has worked great for me the pair of palominos are especially favorites of the flys & bugs in general and has worked the best for me
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

Horse folk... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse folk...   Horse folk... Icon_minitime6/28/2011, 4:06 pm

Piranha is really good, I got a 9 yr thoroughbred-quarter horse cross, eventer, dressage horse. But looking at a young Arabian filly for barrels, quiet girl and fast.
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

Horse folk... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse folk...   Horse folk... Icon_minitime6/28/2011, 4:44 pm

Wow SWEET!! :) I did halter with my Palomino stud back when he was a 3 year old. He did awesome! He was a HUGE Hancock-bred QH, and was not only my primary riding horse, but made some gorgeous babies! When the horse market went to poo, I sold my brood mares, gelded my stud and decided to try him at ranch sorting. Keep in mind he was really laid back as a stud and truly WAS bomb-proof...after I gelded him he became an absolute dead head. LOL! I sold him to an older gentleman for a trail horse, which is where he really shines!

I used that money to purchase my QH stud colt...this colt is double line-bred Poco Tivio top and bottom, and is quick and cowy already...well, more "goaty" since I no longer run cows. I want to get him worked up and start doing ranch sorting and team penning on him as a 3 year old. He'll do great, I have no doubt!

Right now I use my arab for ranch sorting. He's as cowy as any QH and as level headed. I've had him since he was a weanling.

Back in the day (mid '80s) I used to do hunt seat and I had a really sweet QH/TB cross...that's when I was fearless and young. Now, I like to just keep all 4 on the floor, as it were. I'm afraid at my age, one crash would put me in traction for months... hehehe!

I will try the Piranha and see if it helps. I think the flies around here are becoming resistant or something. I used to LOVE Endure, but it's stopped being effective it seems...I've tried Bronco, Repel X, TriTech 14, and even Permectrin CDS! NOTHING is making a dent...especially on the horn flies and the deer flies.
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

Horse folk... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse folk...   Horse folk... Icon_minitime6/28/2011, 4:46 pm

OH...and what is "Orange Bottle" fly spray? I've never heard of it....
Back to top Go down
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain
Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

Horse folk... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse folk...   Horse folk... Icon_minitime6/28/2011, 5:03 pm

LOL I can appreciate that but unfortunately have been in a body cast already still didn't learn my lesson

The 21 year old mare is by Uncle Rufus and a Rusty Leo Bar mare, back before her shoulder quit she was a terrific game horse, worked cattle on the ranch, beautiful schooling level dressage horse just about anything you asked her to do she could and still tries

The 12 year old is the most expensive horse I've ever bought LOL and I've never shown. She's out of First in Cash and a Rusty Leo Bar mare (1/2 sister to above mare) doesn't look like a running horse at all more the classic quarter horse out of the 60's & 70's but she's good for riding to town for gas for the lawnmower and if they can sit and hold the reins they can ride her. But she is patterned for all the games - loosy trail horse because she got caught in a creek and couldn't get out so she's petrified of free moving water (been trying to fix this for years and she still breaks out in a cold sweat).

5 year old is a twit!!! She's out of the old mare and KC Bandit Bars, very atheletic cat quick. She's going to be my next all around horse hopefully, took her for the first road adventure a couple weeks ago other than baby incidents from lack of miles she did really good garage saling LOL

3 year old absolutely goes no where fast, when playing the other 3 leave her in the dust and they aren't even running LOL only has 5 rides on her with #4 & 5 being bareback with a halter and lead rope, she's the apitomy of laid back. Pedigree well I can never remember her's but she's out of mare my parents own and a palomino stud down in OK if they'd ship semen I'd breed both the older mares to him. Oh and she's the one that my 3 year old son is always hitching rides to check fence on, she follows me around while pulling blankets and carrys them back up to the house for me.

There's an old post under "other pets" titled "what to do with a cracked wading pool" there's some pics of them
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

Horse folk... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse folk...   Horse folk... Icon_minitime6/28/2011, 5:13 pm

Wow, awesome! Sound like some pretty good mares and filly you have there! I agree, getting your mare over her fear of water after being stuck may be something she never gets to. Poor girl.

I'll go check out that thread! :)
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

Horse folk... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse folk...   Horse folk... Icon_minitime6/28/2011, 9:22 pm

hi,, currently horseless!!! but had 12 at one time about 15yrs ago.
i love them.... but i dont miss all the work!

one day i will get another...

usafishbox
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

Horse folk... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse folk...   Horse folk... Icon_minitime6/28/2011, 10:07 pm

CajunGator wrote:
hi,, currently horseless!!! but had 12 at one time about 15yrs ago.
i love them.... but i dont miss all the work!

one day i will get another...

usafishbox

Oh wow! That's alot of hooves! I went from 8 to 2 (well, plus my donkey). I would absolutely die if I didn't have them.
I hope you are able to get another one soon. :) They're good for the soul, ya know...and cheaper than paying a therapist! crazy hehehe!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Horse folk... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse folk...   Horse folk... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Horse folk...
Page 1 of 1