UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Male vs Female fry

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

Male vs Female fry Empty
PostSubject: Male vs Female fry   Male vs Female fry Icon_minitime1/28/2011, 10:35 am

i know they say that the PH and the Water temp effect the sex as babies but can someone clear this up and let me know exactly how to get a mixed ratio of fry.... It seems like i am getting a lot more males in the batches so any info will help
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

Male vs Female fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male vs Female fry   Male vs Female fry Icon_minitime1/28/2011, 10:40 am

Apparently with kribs ph us a factor. I've read to try to keep the ph neutral for an even ratio of sexes. I doubt this is true with all fish though. I think it is pretty much just luck of the draw.
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Male vs Female fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male vs Female fry   Male vs Female fry Icon_minitime1/28/2011, 10:42 am

whats a neutral PH and do you adjust the PH when they are eggs or when they free swim.... whens the best time to do this
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

Male vs Female fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male vs Female fry   Male vs Female fry Icon_minitime1/28/2011, 10:45 am

Neural is 7. I would get the ph to 7 and maintain it before and throughout the spawn. Would be a good experiment to see if it actually works.
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Male vs Female fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male vs Female fry   Male vs Female fry Icon_minitime1/28/2011, 11:05 am

ok its kinda hard to maintain thru the whole spawning process since everything is on a sump and there are like 10 tanks plumbed together let me see what i can do
Back to top Go down

Male vs Female fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male vs Female fry   Male vs Female fry Icon_minitime1/28/2011, 11:32 am

I have tried multiple ways changing PH, changing, temp, changing tank size and my pair still only give me males. 7 lays and all offspring are male, I'm going to change females when I can find the right one.
Back to top Go down
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain
Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

Male vs Female fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male vs Female fry   Male vs Female fry Icon_minitime1/28/2011, 12:30 pm

If we're talking kribs, my water is neutral (use a bit of crushed coral to keep it at 7 since my water will drop in the low 6's if I don't), temp is 80F and for the most I get a fairly even ration m/f.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Male vs Female fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male vs Female fry   Male vs Female fry Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Male vs Female fry
Page 1 of 1