UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

How to get rid of snails???

Go down 
+7
KMX
Elrollo
unknown
CajunGator
James0816
jaiko1975
schmidtylv
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
schmidtylv
Private First Class
Private First Class

How to get rid of snails??? Empty
PostSubject: How to get rid of snails???   How to get rid of snails??? Icon_minitime12/27/2010, 11:35 am

I set up another planted tank last week and I've noticed some tiny little snails crawling around... First there was one, then two, now three....

From what I understand these things can get out of control in a hurry.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to nip this in the bud?

I read somewhere on line that clown loaches will take care of them but I'd rather ask on this forum and get some trustworthy answers.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of snails???   How to get rid of snails??? Icon_minitime12/27/2010, 11:48 am

yes clown loaches will eat them. I myself like the snails as they dig in the soil and eat waist in my planted tanks. If you over feed they will take over. You can put a plate in the tank with a peace of lettuce at lights out and in the morning the snails will be under the lettuce on the plate and just remove the plate.
Back to top Go down
schmidtylv
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of snails???   How to get rid of snails??? Icon_minitime12/27/2010, 11:54 am

THANKS FISHVIXEN...

I really don't mind having a few snails but what I fear is having an "infestation"...

I guess if it gets out of control I'll get a few clown loaches and when they are finished cleaning up I can move them to my 50g
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of snails???   How to get rid of snails??? Icon_minitime12/27/2010, 11:54 am

what size tank is it
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of snails???   How to get rid of snails??? Icon_minitime12/27/2010, 11:55 am

I don't know vix i had a snail issue place in some cichilds in the tank they ate all the snails know I'm having allot of issues with green hair algae and diseases in the 55g planted tank. I guess by removing them from the eco system the system has gone array.
Back to top Go down
schmidtylv
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of snails???   How to get rid of snails??? Icon_minitime12/27/2010, 12:00 pm

its just a 15 gallon tank with 2 small angels in it. I'm gonna let them grow out and then move them to a 50 or 55g that I am planning (and budgeting) to get in mid-febuary
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of snails???   How to get rid of snails??? Icon_minitime12/27/2010, 12:01 pm

Yes that can happen. I don't mind algaes either lol! I have a wonderful growth of black beard algae in one tank and it looks neat IMO. Just in one corner for the past year so I leave it alone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of snails???   How to get rid of snails??? Icon_minitime12/27/2010, 12:08 pm

By mid Feb those angels will have to be moved or you'll risk stunted growth. A clown loach is not going to work in a 15 gal tank I hate to say. Try not to overfeed and the lettuce trap before putting in any fish to eat them. This is what I would do. They also sell snail traps but to me the lettuce on a plate works just as well.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of snails???   How to get rid of snails??? Icon_minitime12/27/2010, 12:19 pm

Definately your best bet is to trap them. Especially in such a small tank.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of snails???   How to get rid of snails??? Icon_minitime12/27/2010, 12:51 pm

One simple way to get rid of ALL SNAILS............ every last one...
borrow someones MBU puffer they eat they all..... no matter what size, LOL

Oopssss just noticed it was only a 15g tank, better get a smaller one! cause mine got to 8in pretty quick, lol

lol! usafishbox
Back to top Go down
unknown
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
unknown

Favorite Fish: : You mean I gotta have a favorite??

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of snails???   How to get rid of snails??? Icon_minitime12/27/2010, 2:43 pm

Clown loaches will eat snails, but get quite large. They also tend to "root around" in the substrate, so if you are just getting the plants established, they may up-root them.

If you have other tanks with larger fish, you can keep them under control by netting them off the tank walls in the morning to feed to your other fish. I know my jacks, flowerhorns, and green terrors love 'em, and usually spawn after getting them for a few days!

Trapping them is your best bet to keep them under control. In that size tank, most snail eaters will get too large too fast to make it a worthwhile endeavor.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of snails???   How to get rid of snails??? Icon_minitime12/27/2010, 2:58 pm

I like to use a tupperware that i punch holes into with a heated screwdriver(philips head)...the holes the screwdriver makes kinda turn it into a one way opening. Left over lunchmeat containers(hillshire farms works great because they bag their meat so container is uncontaminated) with a few spirulina algae tabs. Botias also work pretty good assasin snails little slower but they will get the job done.

Most snails do not hurt your plants and like FV said they do help move substrate and get rid of extra food.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of snails???   How to get rid of snails??? Icon_minitime12/27/2010, 4:54 pm

I use assassin Snails. They kill any snail moving.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeExotics
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of snails???   How to get rid of snails??? Icon_minitime1/11/2011, 2:48 pm

Sorry. I know this is a "sort of" old thread, but I figured I'd give my little $0.02. This is something we use at work at it seems to work well.

Take a baby food jar and empty the contents. Make sure it is a glass jar, not the plastic ones. You can punch holes in the lid using a screwdriver and a mallet/hammer. Punch 3 holes across the top so that you can still screw the lid back on with no issues. We put a shrimp pellet or two in each jar, along with an algae or veggie wafer. Then submerge the jar in the tank, leaving no bubbles. (We found that it works best if put on its side, so that the holes are closer to the substrate. By morning, the jars were full of snails and snail eggs. The water can be emptied and the eggs scraped off the glass. Using 6 jars in a system like ours (Petsmart fish wall), we easily pulled close to 50 snails a day. Not that you have that many, but it did work!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of snails???   How to get rid of snails??? Icon_minitime1/11/2011, 3:14 pm

That is a good method. I got lazy and got a bunch of assassin snails and tossed them in most all of my tanks.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of snails???   How to get rid of snails??? Icon_minitime1/11/2011, 8:40 pm

I've just noticed some of the little snails in my 10G planted tank. Leave them to help clean up the place - or do something about them?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of snails???   How to get rid of snails??? Icon_minitime1/11/2011, 8:41 pm

Get one assassin snail to keep their population under control
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of snails???   How to get rid of snails??? Icon_minitime1/11/2011, 9:52 pm

I pulled the apple snails out because they were bulldozing through the lava rocks and making a mess of the aquascape. Won't Assassin snails give me the same problem?
Back to top Go down
kinsol
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
kinsol

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of snails???   How to get rid of snails??? Icon_minitime1/11/2011, 10:18 pm

Ive never had any but I hear clown loaches or assasin snails work good.
the good thing about the loaches is that they look good.
and Clark just made me wanna have snails (knock on wood) so I can try hes method lol!
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of snails???   How to get rid of snails??? Icon_minitime1/11/2011, 10:40 pm

assasin snails How to get rid of snails??? 690297
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of snails???   How to get rid of snails??? Icon_minitime1/11/2011, 10:45 pm

i could lend you my mbu puffer to eat every last snail???
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of snails???   How to get rid of snails??? Icon_minitime1/12/2011, 3:37 am

my huge apple died tonight :(
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of snails???   How to get rid of snails??? Icon_minitime1/12/2011, 9:23 am

I have one tank that I put 5 clown loaches in . Now that tank is just about snail free. I also bought 6 Assassin snail and put then in my 30g tank . That tank is snail free now and the A, snail have slowly reproduced . I have now moved 8 ea A.snails in to 4 different tanks each.Snails are disappearing .
Assassin Snails are slow but effective. And they look good !
Ray
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of snails???   How to get rid of snails??? Icon_minitime1/12/2011, 9:29 am

Assassin snails stay smaller than a large ramshorn so they are fairly discrete.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of snails???   How to get rid of snails??? Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 4:51 pm

so you don't think they'll burrow under the lava rocks and move my entire planted tank around?

I have Java ferns and Marimino moss attached to different rocks so that when I get bored with the aquascape I can move it around. That's ME MOVING IT - not a snail! grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of snails???   How to get rid of snails??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to get rid of snails???
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next