UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Mystery LEAK!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

leak - Mystery LEAK! Empty
PostSubject: Mystery LEAK!   leak - Mystery LEAK! Icon_minitime12/14/2010, 10:02 am

Last night at 4am someone was knocking on my door. It was the maintence people. My 1st thought is WTF are they doing here and WTF is goig on?? I open the door and she said the person down stairs (my new place is an apartment) has a leak and we have to get in to see where it coming from. So Im thinking to myself right now...Are all my fish tanks ok??? I tell her I am going to make sure my wife is ok for you all to come in. So I go quickly and make sure all my tanks are ok and the wife is perpaird for them to come check out our bathroom and sinks. THIS IS 4 in the F'n morning must I remind you. SO After I see everything is good I got get the 2 maintenence people tell them to come have a look. They came in for a quick 2 mins maybe not even that and said that they did no see anything and they think that it might be coming from the place across from us. Ok cool smell ya later I am going back to sleep.

Well on my way back to sleep I noticed my 40 gal in my bedroom was a lot louder then when I went to sleep. When I say louder I mean I could hear the filter water hitting the top harder then normal...as if there was less water in the tank. Turned on the light and noticed the water level was atleast 3" lower then when I went to sleep. So I checked the tank and the wood for any sign of wet and did not see any. I got a buckett real fast filled it up with water & gave it a shot of prime and filled up the tank a little so It was not to loud and I could go back to sleep. Well when I wok up this morning.....same thing! Was about 3" low. About 3-4 gals of water in 4 hours. A total of about 8 Gallons on about 8 hours.

Checked the stand , tank, and even the floor around the tank nothing.

However I did notice some drops coming down the wall..like off the filter. THen I noticed the floor was wet under the stand. So I drained the tank and moved it to check the floor where the stand was sitting. SOAKED!. Somehow water is leaking but not from the tank. I am almost sure it is the filter leaking little by little.

As I was typing this the maintence people came back...said the leak stopped. I asked where the water was coming and the place they describe is where my tank was sitting!!! WTF!!! Almost just got busted!!! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Do you think its my filter??? How come nothing else besides the floor is wet? ANy opinions? Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
unknown
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
unknown

Favorite Fish: : You mean I gotta have a favorite??

PostSubject: Re: Mystery LEAK!   leak - Mystery LEAK! Icon_minitime12/14/2010, 11:33 am

I've had this happen, too. For some reason the filter was resting at a slight angle to the back. If the filter media got too backed up with bacteria and detritus, the water would leak out of the top of the filter. The only wet spots were the floor and one corner of the filter where the water was coming over the top.

To fix this, just put some cardboard between the bottom of the filter and the back of the tank to adjust the angle to the front. Works like a charm.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Mystery LEAK!   leak - Mystery LEAK! Icon_minitime12/14/2010, 11:33 am

what kind of filter?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Mystery LEAK!   leak - Mystery LEAK! Icon_minitime12/14/2010, 11:46 am

unknown wrote:
I've had this happen, too. For some reason the filter was resting at a slight angle to the back. If the filter media got too backed up with bacteria and detritus, the water would leak out of the top of the filter. The only wet spots were the floor and one corner of the filter where the water was coming over the top.

To fix this, just put some cardboard between the bottom of the filter and the back of the tank to adjust the angle to the front. Works like a charm.

I think you are correct. I noticed when I got this filter it had a bad tilt to it. I will clean up my mess and try again lol!

It's the Aquaclear 110
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Mystery LEAK!   leak - Mystery LEAK! Icon_minitime12/14/2010, 12:04 pm

i agree with that too, i had a aqclear 110 before and the little tilt leg they have is not accurate, that fix should be able to work just fine..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mystery LEAK!   leak - Mystery LEAK! Icon_minitime12/14/2010, 3:28 pm

Yup Ive had that issue as well, they have a little thingy you can add on if it didn't come with one but cardboard works just fine.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mystery LEAK!   leak - Mystery LEAK! Icon_minitime12/14/2010, 5:02 pm

yeap cardboard or thin Styrofoam used on my tilting HOB filters also.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Mystery LEAK!   leak - Mystery LEAK! Icon_minitime12/14/2010, 9:27 pm

Moved it to a new location. Re did the water and filter. Everything is good to go! usafishbox
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mystery LEAK!   leak - Mystery LEAK! Icon_minitime12/14/2010, 9:51 pm

cheers Very nice!!
Back to top Go down
Petersmonkey
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Petersmonkey

Favorite Fish: : Angels

PostSubject: Re: Mystery LEAK!   leak - Mystery LEAK! Icon_minitime12/14/2010, 10:16 pm

I'd be a pissed off neighbor LOL !!!

Might need to get a new Filter or silicone it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mystery LEAK!   leak - Mystery LEAK! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mystery LEAK!
Page 1 of 1