UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

White Lab Holding!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids, Bristlenose Plecos and Koi

White Lab Holding! Empty
PostSubject: White Lab Holding!   White Lab Holding! Icon_minitime9/15/2009, 1:24 pm

I drove to Plano last weekend to get a white lab trio; sadly one of the females that was promised me was missing from the guy's tank the night before. I ended up only getting a pair. Anyhow, he told me that he didn't have much luck breeding them, because his tank was heavily stocked with peacocks and that the female never held to full term.

I placed the pair into a 40 Breeder and turned the temp up to 82F. Left them there for three days then did a water change to release cool water into the tank in the evening. The next day, she was holding! I took her out and stripped her (didn't trust that she would follow through) and placed 26 eggs into a home made tumbler that I made a few days ago (after visiting Kory and looking at his Tumbler)

Now I wait til the eggs hatch and the fry grow!

White Lab Holding! DSC_0079
The Pair

White Lab Holding! DSC_0069
The DIY Tumbler

White Lab Holding! IMG_0415
The eggs.

I have pictures of how I made the tumbler...but haven't had time to post them. Hope you enjoy these pics!
Back to top Go down
R2 Ranch
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
R2 Ranch

Favorite Fish: : Any that belong to me.

White Lab Holding! Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Lab Holding!   White Lab Holding! Icon_minitime9/15/2009, 1:29 pm

Congrats to you and the best of luck!!! yes
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

White Lab Holding! Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Lab Holding!   White Lab Holding! Icon_minitime9/15/2009, 1:32 pm

White Lab Holding! 565291 Well done. You little White Lab Holding! 10088

Correct me if im wrong but I thought that the Female had to hold for a few days to get the eggs fertilized correctly? Well I hope you get all of them to live that way I can get some White Lab Holding! 326269
Back to top Go down

White Lab Holding! Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Lab Holding!   White Lab Holding! Icon_minitime9/15/2009, 1:49 pm

Yeh, I was thinkin ya should've let her hold for atleast a few days to make sure they got fertilized.

Hopefully it'll turn out good for ya.

I wouldn't mind have'n a few of them, myself.

( I'm try'n to make a tumbler too. I have a bad habit of strippin too soon. )
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

White Lab Holding! Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Lab Holding!   White Lab Holding! Icon_minitime9/15/2009, 2:46 pm

KMX wrote:
White Lab Holding! 565291 Well done. You little White Lab Holding! 10088

Correct me if im wrong but I thought that the Female had to hold for a few days to get the eggs fertilized correctly? Well I hope you get all of them to live that way I can get some White Lab Holding! 326269

Well if that is the case then I hope he fertilized them in the 17 hour window that she was holding. I guess it's all trial and error. Now I know! I was just anxious because my sp44 only held for 3 days then they were gone! and I was really looking forward to having sp44 fry too... From my understanding the male and female do the dancing ritual and then she lays her eggs and scoops them into her mouth, they continue to dance in circles as the female will then place her mouth near his anal fin where he will release a stream of sperm 4-5 times while she scoops it into her mouth and tumbles the eggs around the sperm. Once the ritual is done, she hides to protect her eggs... lets cross our fingers and hope these eggs hatch... if not, I should be able to get them to do this again in a few weeks.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

White Lab Holding! Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Lab Holding!   White Lab Holding! Icon_minitime9/15/2009, 3:37 pm

Sometimes they don't hold long enough b/c they are new at it and don't really understand it. Also if you feed while a female is holding she might be thiniking food and spit or swallow them. The more times they breed the better they get at it. ( just like humans White Lab Holding! Lol )

My Yellow Belly Alberts use to hold for only a few days at 1st but now I let them hold for 7-10 days before spit.
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

White Lab Holding! Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Lab Holding!   White Lab Holding! Icon_minitime9/15/2009, 3:47 pm

Well next time she holds, I'll let her carry it to term in a 10-20 gallon by herself. I wasn't prepared for this one as much as I would have liked.
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

White Lab Holding! Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Lab Holding!   White Lab Holding! Icon_minitime9/16/2009, 8:04 pm

So I lost the eggs... cursing but I gained some experience. Come next month, I'll have 20+ fry of white labs. I'll let her hold for 2.5 weeks like I go all my other fish....then strip her... got too excited on this one. My fault. mad crazy
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

White Lab Holding! Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Lab Holding!   White Lab Holding! Icon_minitime9/16/2009, 8:06 pm

Hey White Lab Holding! 10088 happens. You learn by doing.

Who is editing my post????? No no

Last edited by KMX on 9/17/2009, 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

White Lab Holding! Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Lab Holding!   White Lab Holding! Icon_minitime9/17/2009, 6:55 am

White Lab Holding! 858205
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

White Lab Holding! Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Lab Holding!   White Lab Holding! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

White Lab Holding!
Page 1 of 1