UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

My First set of "rescue" fish

Go down 
+6
wildbeanerz
jaiko1975
KMX
08can-am
alan j t
mshill90
10 posters
AuthorMessage
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa

My First set of "rescue" fish Empty
PostSubject: My First set of "rescue" fish   My First set of "rescue" fish Icon_minitime11/19/2010, 7:24 pm

My friend has a 35 gallon tall fish tank... It HAD the following in it:

1- 4" common pleco
2- 2" Green Terrors
1- 6" Oscar
1- 4" unknown African cichlid

The Oscar has HITH (but it's not too bad), and he wondered why the cichlid always laid beside the flower pot they had in there, and never moved.. it wouldn't even eat. I moved the fish, and the fish has 2 large ulcers- one on each side..

So, I tell him that he needs to get rid of all of those fish, and get fish that will be small for all of it's life. Or he could get 1 fancy goldfish like an Oranda...

He tells me to come over, and give him a crash course on fish keeping.. not possible..

So I go over, and I bag all the fish, but the 2 green terrors. They are fine in the tank for quite some time yet. He's got a male and a female. The male is showing aggression to the female, so I tell him that if it gets worse he will have to re-home them because they will kill each other, and we don't want that.

I explain to him the reason for HITH (bad water, bad food, no food variety etc..)

I should mention that I HATE Oscars! haha.

But all are in the right water params and tank sizes.

Told him to do weekly water changes of 20% at the most, and as the fish get bigger to make the changes bigger...

He told me that he's coming into money this weekend, and since he doesn't have to pay for anything, he could spend it on whatever... ($400)- So I set him up with a "starter" aquarium idea.. he's going with a 125 found on CL for $200.. includes everything.

I'm writing him a fish manual. haha.

Here's pics!!! (The cichlid- needs an ID- and the ulcers are barely pink now.. Yay epsom salt!)

My First set of "rescue" fish 100_5210

My First set of "rescue" fish 100_5211

My First set of "rescue" fish 100_5212

My First set of "rescue" fish 100_5213

My First set of "rescue" fish 100_5214
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: My First set of "rescue" fish   My First set of "rescue" fish Icon_minitime11/19/2010, 7:54 pm

good 4 you.
Back to top Go down
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

Favorite Fish: : Any thing reef friendl

PostSubject: Re: My First set of "rescue" fish   My First set of "rescue" fish Icon_minitime11/19/2010, 10:21 pm

Congrats. I hate to see any living creature go threw cr@p like that My First set of "rescue" fish 772341
Back to top Go down
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

PostSubject: Re: My First set of "rescue" fish   My First set of "rescue" fish Icon_minitime11/19/2010, 10:23 pm

Omg, yeah.. I forgot to mention that when I got the oscar, I had no idea he even had orange on him he was that bad... He was all brown. He brightened up as soon as he was put in my tank. And he shows promising personality..

More than likely, I'll keep him. haha
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: My First set of "rescue" fish   My First set of "rescue" fish Icon_minitime11/19/2010, 11:32 pm

Congrats!

Very nice.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My First set of "rescue" fish   My First set of "rescue" fish Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 12:13 am

It feel so good when I can help others in the hobby congrates.
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: My First set of "rescue" fish   My First set of "rescue" fish Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 5:14 am

yes good job dude i dont know how to tell you how many times i benn throu that
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: My First set of "rescue" fish   My First set of "rescue" fish Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 6:40 am

Good work My First set of "rescue" fish 393849 And keep on him about how to care for the ones he has left so that he can become a fish addict too instead of just a fish owner.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: My First set of "rescue" fish   My First set of "rescue" fish Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 7:36 am

Nice good job mshill! i like rescuing fish sometimes too..
Back to top Go down
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

Favorite Fish: : Any thing reef friendl

PostSubject: Re: My First set of "rescue" fish   My First set of "rescue" fish Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 7:14 pm

I hate going into petco in fredericksburg because they have a tank they allow people to bring fish and leave if they dont want them, so i stop by alot just to take the little orphans home. I know have 4 large red zebras that are becoming terrors.
Back to top Go down
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

PostSubject: Re: My First set of "rescue" fish   My First set of "rescue" fish Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 7:33 pm

What is the cichlid that i got from him?
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: My First set of "rescue" fish   My First set of "rescue" fish Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 10:26 pm

Looks like a Kenyi, but definitely not pure bred. Good Job on the rescue. I am going to be putting a pond in soon. May need help here in Pittsburgh!
Back to top Go down
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

PostSubject: Re: My First set of "rescue" fish   My First set of "rescue" fish Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 10:45 pm

CSnyder00 wrote:
Looks like a Kenyi, but definitely not pure bred. Good Job on the rescue. I am going to be putting a pond in soon. May need help here in Pittsburgh!

If you need any help, let us know! Fiance has family up there.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: My First set of "rescue" fish   My First set of "rescue" fish Icon_minitime11/21/2010, 10:23 am

Sweet. Good luck with the rescues. If you need any help, you know we are always here!
Back to top Go down
psychgirl
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : Community fish:
Tetras, Molly's, Platy's, Twig Catfish, Pleco's, Angel Fish, Clown Loaches, Yo-Yo loaches, Cardinals, Red Tailed Shark, Rainbow Shark, African Dwarf Frogs, and the list goes on!!

PostSubject: Re: My First set of "rescue" fish   My First set of "rescue" fish Icon_minitime12/20/2010, 6:40 pm

Good job!! I love a good rescue!! I rescued a pleco in a 1/2 gal tank with a goldfish..... go figure. I gave the goldfish to a friend with huge pond and kept the little pleco who will go into my new tank at Xmas.
I like the idea of a rescue tank at Petco, maybe it saves fish from being flushed down the toilet. Only prob would be that I would want to take them all home with me.
My First set of "rescue" fish 858205
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

PostSubject: Re: My First set of "rescue" fish   My First set of "rescue" fish Icon_minitime12/20/2010, 7:22 pm

good rescue thanks for saving their lives
Back to top Go down
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

PostSubject: Re: My First set of "rescue" fish   My First set of "rescue" fish Icon_minitime12/20/2010, 7:25 pm

The Oscar found a new home.. And I still have the cichlid..

My ornate bichir unfortunately killed the pleco.

Here is the cichlid now...

My First set of "rescue" fish Img_0010
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My First set of "rescue" fish   My First set of "rescue" fish Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My First set of "rescue" fish
Page 1 of 1