UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

attempting to breed discus

Go down 
+2
dano
Marlboro Red
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 8:26 am

First topic message reminder :

Here is a pic of the 45g tall that the pair is in
attempting to breed discus - Page 2 DSCN3729
It has a heater, 2 sponge filters a little bit of wood with a java fern on it and a filter intake tube suction cupped to the tank wall. They bred all 3 times in the community tank on the filter intake tube so I gave them one as their spawning site attempting to breed discus - Page 2 393849
The pair;
Tiger is the female
attempting to breed discus - Page 2 DSCN3707
And Scarface is the male
attempting to breed discus - Page 2 DSCN3704

They took very good care of the eggs in the 90g community but they were getting too rough on all the other discus in there so I needed to move them out. Lets see how they do in their own tank and see if I can manage to get fry from them crazy
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/10/2010, 10:47 am

I hope so!!!
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/10/2010, 10:28 pm

so close yet so far.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 9:50 am

attempting to breed discus - Page 2 858205
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 9:51 am

deff true!!! its so hard to get it just right for them to breed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/13/2010, 4:14 pm

Well they spawned again, this time on the lift tube of the sponge filter.
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/13/2010, 4:20 pm

Fern.............Do nothing but watch!
Good luck
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/13/2010, 4:27 pm

I'm doing the normal morning & evening feeding and that it! I did turn that sponge filter off, there are 2 in the tank.
Either they do it themselves or I don't have fry funny
This is the 4th or 5th batch of eggs and they have yet to get to the wiggler stage. I haven't figured out if they are eating viable eggs or the male isn't doing his job and that's why they are eating them. Other than that they are excellent parents.
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/13/2010, 4:46 pm

They laid the eggs with the filter running, so why turn it off......The circulation, if it is not heavy, should keep stuff from settling on the eggs.......Also, you will eventually get a beneficial bacteria die off with out the oxygenated water passing thru the filter.....................Just something to think about.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/13/2010, 8:29 pm

crazy The KISS method funny I really am over thinking this aren't I?
I'll turn the sponge back on low....
Back to top Go down
Marlboro Red
Private
Private
Marlboro Red

Favorite Fish: : marlboro red discus followed by lepord wrasse

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/14/2010, 5:51 am

dont loose hope it takes awhile for them to get it right a young pair will have several fail attempts before they get it right and once they get it right will still have low number of fry that survive.Once they mature and get the hang of it so to speak everything improves number of living and you can almost set your watch to it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/14/2010, 11:04 am

And they ate the eggs....
Either they spawn successfully or they don't, I'm not incredibly concerned about it.
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/14/2010, 11:11 am

Is the tank they are in a quiet low traffic area?......Are there any objects in the tank like live or plastic plants that would provide some sense of security?.......Any other fish that could be threatening the area that the pair has chosen to lay eggs on.......Any plecos or other nocturnal fish that could be getting the eggs in the darkness?
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

Favorite Fish: : South American Ciclids and plecos. I will always love my bettas but have moved on.

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/14/2010, 9:28 pm

Mine just spawned again too. But they are not the best parents they leave the eggs if I come near. Where my angles never leave the eggs. One was always there. Mine eat the eggs too but I'm not trying to breed the discus they are in the discus tank with others. But I'm working on breeding my blue angles. I have gotten fry from them. If I do a good job with the angles then I will try discus. But the thing with discus is they need to be older to have a good spawn. Like 10-12 months old.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/15/2010, 9:40 am

The tank is as pictured above. They are the only fish in there.... Very low traffic area, its in my fish room and I'm the only one that goes in there.
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/15/2010, 12:04 pm

Try a larger object for them to lay on such as a tall piece of 2 inch dia dark PVC pipe or a flat 2 or 3 inch wide piece of plexiglass.........Maybe giving them a roomier area to lay might help.....They may be having trouble with the eggs being bunched up.....Just a thought.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/15/2010, 2:53 pm

I know I have large white PVC, I will get a piece cleaned up and see if they like it or not. If they don't like that I think I have some 3" blue in storage and I can try that. PVC is something I have a bunch of!
I can probably throw a T on it and hang it into the tank rather than attempting to make it stand in the tank........
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/15/2010, 5:32 pm

you have a fish room? i want one fern.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/15/2010, 6:45 pm

I have a fish room full of tanks and some random tanks scattered throughout my hose, then the behemoth in the garage and planning on another massive system in the garage.
Yup BAD case of mts lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/23/2010, 9:20 am

I just caught Scarface eating the eggs attempting to breed discus - Page 2 196631
Looks like I'm going to have to make a cage or pull him next time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/23/2010, 9:51 am

bad boy!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/23/2010, 9:57 am

Yup that's why the eggs haven't made it past 3 days so far cursing But now I know who is doing it!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/23/2010, 10:04 am

And now they are all gone..... I guess I will try the egg cage first, give him a chance to care for fry. If that doesn't work by the 3rd time I will have to pull him Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/4/2010, 8:43 am

Ok new batch of eggs and and I just pulled scarface, I'm drip acclimating him into the main 90g.
Lets see if Tiger has what it takes!

So what water change regiment do I need to do? When do I start?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/4/2010, 9:31 am

Well Tiger is doing good with her eggs so far! She hasnt freaked or anything about me pulling her man
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/4/2010, 3:01 pm

So far so good, she is caring for the eggs quite well
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/4/2010, 3:25 pm

congrates
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

attempting to breed discus
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next