UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Best food for cichlids?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
plecoman
Private First Class
Private First Class
plecoman

Favorite Fish: : L134 leopard frog pleco

Best food for cichlids? Empty
PostSubject: Best food for cichlids?   Best food for cichlids? Icon_minitime10/1/2010, 8:15 pm

I have just recently started keeping African cichlids. I have a few German red peacocks and a few yellow labs. I've been feeding them Omega one super color flakes along with some spirulina flakes and wafers. What is the best food to feed them and where can I buy it in bulk amounts? Thanks
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Best food for cichlids?   Best food for cichlids? Icon_minitime10/1/2010, 8:41 pm

i feed NLS pellets to all of my cichlids.... even my plecos like it... wafers and small pellets.. yes yu can buy in 5# size...
i sent you a friend request..
cajun
Back to top Go down
plecoman
Private First Class
Private First Class
plecoman

PostSubject: Re: Best food for cichlids?   Best food for cichlids? Icon_minitime10/1/2010, 8:51 pm

I've never heard of NLS pellets. I'll see if I can't locate them on the net. Thanks
Back to top Go down
plecoman
Private First Class
Private First Class
plecoman

PostSubject: Re: Best food for cichlids?   Best food for cichlids? Icon_minitime10/1/2010, 8:56 pm

Hey CajunGator what size pellets do you use? Also, do you use floating or sinking pellets?
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Best food for cichlids?   Best food for cichlids? Icon_minitime10/1/2010, 8:58 pm

i get mine from Mike with FISH FReaks Chiclids... he is a sponsor and i get certified member discount...

see his list of NLS new life spectrum...

http://www.fishfreakscichlids.com/?page_id=59
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best food for cichlids?   Best food for cichlids? Icon_minitime10/1/2010, 9:45 pm

I use the 1mm thera A of nls, I got a 5lb bucket from Mike! I feed it to every one Africans, plecos, corys, discus they all love it!
Back to top Go down
plecoman
Private First Class
Private First Class
plecoman

PostSubject: Re: Best food for cichlids?   Best food for cichlids? Icon_minitime10/1/2010, 10:24 pm

Thanks for the info!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best food for cichlids?   Best food for cichlids? Icon_minitime10/1/2010, 10:31 pm

the only difference between regular and thera a is the thera a has garlic added so it helps ward of parasites and other issues.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Best food for cichlids?   Best food for cichlids? Icon_minitime10/2/2010, 6:18 am

I give them Hikari spirulina sinking pellets, the loved it, is not messy at all, and for plecos i use shrimp pellets..
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Best food for cichlids?   Best food for cichlids? Icon_minitime10/2/2010, 9:14 am

i love the improved color i got when i switched from kens flake to nls. also dainichi is good
Back to top Go down
plecoman
Private First Class
Private First Class
plecoman

PostSubject: Re: Best food for cichlids?   Best food for cichlids? Icon_minitime10/2/2010, 3:11 pm

Do the NLS pellets float or sink?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best food for cichlids?   Best food for cichlids? Icon_minitime10/2/2010, 3:16 pm

They come both ways.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: Best food for cichlids?   Best food for cichlids? Icon_minitime10/2/2010, 3:17 pm

I might need to try the NLS!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best food for cichlids?   Best food for cichlids? Icon_minitime10/2/2010, 3:22 pm

They also range in pellet size from .5mm-3mm
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: Best food for cichlids?   Best food for cichlids? Icon_minitime10/2/2010, 3:28 pm

As much fish as you have Fern you have to buy buckets of food! lol!
Back to top Go down
plecoman
Private First Class
Private First Class
plecoman

PostSubject: Re: Best food for cichlids?   Best food for cichlids? Icon_minitime10/2/2010, 3:41 pm

I just have a couple more questions. Is is better to feed cichlids the pellets or flake food or maybe rotate both? If so, do they have cichlid flake food with the garlic? I went to the link above but they didn't give any info on the flake food. Also is it better to feed the sinking or floating pellets? Thanks
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: Best food for cichlids?   Best food for cichlids? Icon_minitime10/2/2010, 3:47 pm

My opinion is that it doesn't matter if it floats or sinks the fish will eat it no matter where it is in the tank.The sinking pellets I feed my Cichlids are all gone before it hit the sand anyways.I feed mine pellets,flakes and frozen foods and freezed dried foods.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best food for cichlids?   Best food for cichlids? Icon_minitime10/2/2010, 3:56 pm

Some fish like sinkers some like floaters.
I feed flake and pellet to all of my fish, I believe in a good variety of foods!
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Best food for cichlids?   Best food for cichlids? Icon_minitime10/2/2010, 5:46 pm

sinking pellets are better for ykur cichlids and the garlic is a anti-parastic agent.
Back to top Go down
plecoman
Private First Class
Private First Class
plecoman

PostSubject: Re: Best food for cichlids?   Best food for cichlids? Icon_minitime10/2/2010, 9:05 pm

Thanks for all the information everyone! I really appreciate it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best food for cichlids?   Best food for cichlids? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best food for cichlids?
Page 1 of 1