UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Can anyone identify these plants please?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

Favorite Fish: : graduating from community fish to aggressive fish (cichlids), but will always have a soft spot for my krbs and betta's.

Can anyone identify these plants please? Empty
PostSubject: Can anyone identify these plants please?   Can anyone identify these plants please? Icon_minitime9/14/2010, 1:21 pm

(For some reason, I have a feeling Fern can)

This tall red one (the red one behind it is fake, not wrried about that one, lol)
Can anyone identify these plants please? Photo0239z
Can anyone identify these plants please? Photo0240e

and this tall fern looking thing (there are two of these)
Can anyone identify these plants please? Photo0241
Can anyone identify these plants please? Photo0242s

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify these plants please?   Can anyone identify these plants please? Icon_minitime9/14/2010, 2:56 pm

The first one is a lily bulb, I have it and can't remember the name either lol! You can either let it grow to the surface or you can train it back to be short if you just keep trimming the shoots down. That's the way I keep mine other wise it takes too much light from the other plants.
Its a mid light plant that works well mid tank, it really doesn't need anything special for it to do well.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify these plants please?   Can anyone identify these plants please? Icon_minitime9/14/2010, 5:47 pm

the second one is a african fern. i forgot the real name. ill find out soon enough. i have some.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify these plants please?   Can anyone identify these plants please? Icon_minitime9/14/2010, 5:51 pm

Bolbitis heudelotii
Back to top Go down
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

Favorite Fish: : graduating from community fish to aggressive fish (cichlids), but will always have a soft spot for my krbs and betta's.

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify these plants please?   Can anyone identify these plants please? Icon_minitime9/14/2010, 8:35 pm

thanks you two! now, other than pruing/training the lilly, is there anything special I need to do for them? Im use to amazon swords and not familiar with any other plants.
Back to top Go down
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify these plants please?   Can anyone identify these plants please? Icon_minitime9/14/2010, 8:42 pm

lol, I was just looking for info on the african fern on google, and came across a forum with three comments about it, this one cracked me up!!

Quote :
A long time ago I bought a little sliver of African Water Fern for $10 to put in a 20 gal. with a HOB filter and plane rock gravel tank I kept in the window. It grew like crazy! I gave some to my brother, sister, and neighbor. All three of their tanks were kept up just enough to keep the fish alive. Again the plant took off. So much so my neighbor was periodically trimming it back and throwing it away. I later put a piece in a well kept, dosed, planted aquarium and it barely grew, if at all. Bottom line: African Water Fern thrives in crappy conditions!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify these plants please?   Can anyone identify these plants please? Icon_minitime9/14/2010, 8:47 pm

let it do its thing for a while then slowly start trimming a leaf at a time down to the bulb. you need to wait for a new leaf to sprout between each trimming or you will damage the plant. Let it get its roots spred for a while before you start training it though.
I will post a pic of my trained one tomorrow once I scrape all the algae off the glass lol!
Back to top Go down
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify these plants please?   Can anyone identify these plants please? Icon_minitime9/16/2010, 5:58 pm

Can anyone identify these plants please? 11
Can anyone identify these plants please? 10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify these plants please?   Can anyone identify these plants please? Icon_minitime9/16/2010, 6:08 pm

Can anyone identify these plants please? DSCN3093Can anyone identify these plants please? DSCN3094
And thats what it looks like when trained into a short bush.
Back to top Go down
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify these plants please?   Can anyone identify these plants please? Icon_minitime9/16/2010, 6:13 pm

Thank you Fern!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify these plants please?   Can anyone identify these plants please? Icon_minitime9/16/2010, 6:15 pm

Let it get well established before you start training it though. I didn't mess with mine for a few months after I got it. I only ended up training it because I had a massive duckweed out break in that tank so I had to get it off the surface.
Back to top Go down
Redmagemanol
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : Freshwater: The tackiness of Goldfish!
Saltwater: Cute little Scooter Blennies, Flame Angels and Fire Fish

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify these plants please?   Can anyone identify these plants please? Icon_minitime9/17/2010, 1:25 am

I have one of the lily bulbs in my 90, if you let it go crazy it has a really pretty pink bloom.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify these plants please?   Can anyone identify these plants please? Icon_minitime11/15/2010, 12:22 am

the first one looks to be red tiger lotus, and the second looks to be peacock fern wish is a true aquatic plant.. that is just my opinion I could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify these plants please?   Can anyone identify these plants please? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can anyone identify these plants please?
Page 1 of 1