UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Help with some of my new plants.

Go down 
+3
Holey Rock of Texas
ilicurtisili
KMX
7 posters
AuthorMessage
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

Help with some of my new plants. Empty
PostSubject: Help with some of my new plants.   Help with some of my new plants. Icon_minitime7/12/2010, 4:01 pm

I got some new plants at the HAS auction. I am a COMPLETE newbie when it comes to plants. I wanted to get some stuff that was not going in my fish tanks. So I thought I would play with some of these. I got some

Red Stemthalia Water Canna
Help with some of my new plants. Red-st11

Green Taro Elephant Ear
Help with some of my new plants. Green-10

Variegated Rush
Help with some of my new plants. Varieg11

I also got a bag of Amazon frog bite. If anyone has any info on these plants please share.... I'd like to put a bunch of plants on my patio out front but I am not sure If I could use these for that, besides the Frog bite that's going into an aquarium. Thanks for any helpful information.

usafishbox

Last edited by KMX on 7/12/2010, 4:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ilicurtisili
Admin
Admin
ilicurtisili

PostSubject: Re: Help with some of my new plants.   Help with some of my new plants. Icon_minitime7/12/2010, 4:04 pm

are these pond plants?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Help with some of my new plants.   Help with some of my new plants. Icon_minitime7/12/2010, 4:09 pm

Yes but that's what I am trying to get at.... I want to put them on my patio out front....mabey simulate that they are in a pond somehow....hints why I have them in buckets with water and soil. They are lovley looking and I want to find a way to keep them.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Help with some of my new plants.   Help with some of my new plants. Icon_minitime7/12/2010, 4:15 pm

lol. maybe you should have a pond then lol.
Back to top Go down
Janie
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
Janie

Favorite Fish: : Calvus & all Victorian Cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: Help with some of my new plants.   Help with some of my new plants. Icon_minitime7/12/2010, 10:17 pm

Help help we want to keep the plants.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: Help with some of my new plants.   Help with some of my new plants. Icon_minitime7/13/2010, 7:43 am

Patio water garden then. Go get a whiskey barrel from Lowes/Homedepot, line it with a pond liner.

Now, you've got to decide whether you want a fountain or a still pond. These plants can go with either. If you want flowing water get a low flowing fountain top and follow instructions. If you're going for still water, fill a pillowcase with top soil, close it with a rubber band and set it on the bottom. Cover with course gravel around 2" thick.

Using a hose, run water into whiskey barrel and let it flow over the top until everything is clear. Let sit for 24-48 hours. Plant the plants in the bottom.

For mosquito larva control you can use guppies and/or feeder goldfish. They can also handle a still water pond.

Have fun! I've enjoyed my two still water ponds for many years! (though mine are old rubber horse troughs sunk in the ground.) These half-submergent plants are beauties!
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Help with some of my new plants.   Help with some of my new plants. Icon_minitime7/13/2010, 8:23 am

I am not making a pond or fountain. I want to put them in a bucket or something similar to simulate that they are in a pond. No fish no nothing. just the plants.
Back to top Go down
Terry
Captain
Captain
Terry

PostSubject: Re: Help with some of my new plants.   Help with some of my new plants. Icon_minitime7/13/2010, 10:45 am

Bring them to me and I will put them in my pond.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Help with some of my new plants.   Help with some of my new plants. Icon_minitime7/13/2010, 11:12 am

just mess around with them. they were $1 each lol. how can you lose?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Help with some of my new plants.   Help with some of my new plants. Icon_minitime7/13/2010, 4:31 pm

They seem to be fine where I have them. Terry do you think I need some gravle in the buckets or just soil and water?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help with some of my new plants.   Help with some of my new plants. Icon_minitime7/13/2010, 5:59 pm

Dirt and water and they should be fine. Are they in partial shade? Most emergent plants are partial shade.
Back to top Go down
Terry
Captain
Captain
Terry

PostSubject: Re: Help with some of my new plants.   Help with some of my new plants. Icon_minitime7/13/2010, 8:41 pm

Kory I just use water and sand/gravel mix in mine. They seem to do just fine with that.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Help with some of my new plants.   Help with some of my new plants. Icon_minitime7/13/2010, 9:07 pm

Fern wrote:
Dirt and water and they should be fine. Are they in partial shade? Most emergent plants are partial shade.

Yea they have real good sun from about 5pm until about 7pm. The rest is not shade but not direclty in the sun light.

Terry wrote:
Kory I just use water and sand/gravel mix in mine. They seem to do just fine with that.
Sweet I will get some sand and a little gravel.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: Help with some of my new plants.   Help with some of my new plants. Icon_minitime7/14/2010, 8:26 am

im stupid when it comes to plants! lol! Help with some of my new plants. 772341
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help with some of my new plants.   Help with some of my new plants. Icon_minitime7/14/2010, 5:01 pm

2 hrs of direct light should be plenty for them
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Help with some of my new plants.   Help with some of my new plants. Icon_minitime7/23/2010, 2:42 pm

KMX wrote:
I got some new plants at the HAS auction. I am a COMPLETE newbie when it comes to plants. I wanted to get some stuff that was not going in my fish tanks. So I thought I would play with some of these. I got some

Red Stemthalia Water Canna
Help with some of my new plants. Red-st11

Green Taro Elephant Ear
Help with some of my new plants. Green-10

Variegated Rush
Help with some of my new plants. Varieg11

I also got a bag of Amazon frog bite. If anyone has any info on these plants please share.... I'd like to put a bunch of plants on my patio out front but I am not sure If I could use these for that, besides the Frog bite that's going into an aquarium. Thanks for any helpful information.

usafishbox

All 3 plants are doing well in a 5G buckets and in the shade. The heat was way to much for them and doing MUCH MUHC better in the shade.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Help with some of my new plants.   Help with some of my new plants. Icon_minitime7/28/2010, 10:40 pm

My red stem looking good.
Help with some of my new plants. Img_0414

besides the 1 leaf. You think I should give up on this one? or let it keep trying?
Help with some of my new plants. Img_0415

My Green Taro coming back strong after a heat wave in the sun.
Help with some of my new plants. Img_0416
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with some of my new plants.   Help with some of my new plants. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help with some of my new plants.
Page 1 of 1