UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Cycling a small tank

Go down 
+2
coolfish15
ClarkeExotics
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ClarkeExotics
Sergeant
Sergeant

Cycling a small tank Empty
PostSubject: Cycling a small tank   Cycling a small tank Icon_minitime1/15/2012, 10:24 am

Its been a while since I've been here as I've taken a small break from fish. I still have my 10 gallon tank with my goldfish. I'm a bad person and have not set up a bigger tank for him (we simply don't have the money now that we are living in our own place), though I have plans to set him up in something larger (not exactly a tank though)

My question today is can you cycle a 2.5 gallon tank. I work in a call center and I want to have a betta fish at work. I have a 2.5 gallon tank available, but I would not be able to run a filter in it.

I was wondering if anyone had any success cycling such a small tank.
Back to top Go down
coolfish15
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
coolfish15

PostSubject: Re: Cycling a small tank   Cycling a small tank Icon_minitime1/15/2012, 10:43 am

ya, i did the same thing with a 1 gallon, a betta will be so happy
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

PostSubject: Re: Cycling a small tank   Cycling a small tank Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 5:29 am

take about 1 quart (0.25g) of "dirty water" from your main tank's substrate and put it the new tank you want to set up. fill the rest with clean water (2.25g).

set this up and youd should be able to do an "instant go". if a betta is the only thing your gna keep in that tank you will be fine.

after that perform weekly water changes of about 1 gallon if youre not do any filtration

Last edited by Kasshan on 1/19/2012, 5:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

PostSubject: Re: Cycling a small tank   Cycling a small tank Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 5:30 am

although many hobbyists will say that bettas do not require cycled water. i dont see how the method i described could hurt. unless your main tank is unhealthy in some manner
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Favorite Fish: : Electric Blue Rocio Octofasciata

PostSubject: Re: Cycling a small tank   Cycling a small tank Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 6:13 am

The problem with old tank water or tank water in general is the water stops cycling through your BB. The organics left in the water break down and become ammonia again. Fresh water is always best. Shipping fish always goes better with fresh water. I always transport fish with new water. If your not running a filter you might as well just use new water and change it regularly.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

PostSubject: Re: Cycling a small tank   Cycling a small tank Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 6:30 am

id considered youd get a spike of ammonia at first. but i dont see how its much different than fishless cycling? at least here you get some BB from the brown water collected from established substrate. youd get a large die off of BB over the first week, but with regular water changes one would reach an equilibrium.

or am i just thinking of a quick start to a Filtered setup, and not taking into consideration this a filterless system? lol i havent kept a "betta bowl" since i was a clueless teenager. i used to use untreated tap, and do thorough 100% water changes. i even cleaned stuff with hot water.
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Favorite Fish: : Electric Blue Rocio Octofasciata

PostSubject: Re: Cycling a small tank   Cycling a small tank Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 7:45 am

With a uncycled filtered setup yes it would be a spike and a drop. Filterless is just gonna make him have to change that old tank water out. Thats why you should just start with nil water.
Back to top Go down
sassynurse2
sassynurse2

Favorite Fish: : 2 Clown Loaches...
Blue Dolphins 10.

PostSubject: Re: Cycling a small tank   Cycling a small tank Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 8:27 am

Thanks I am purchasing a small betta tank setup for my niece. So I will use this information to teach her. Again thanks
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: Cycling a small tank   Cycling a small tank Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 9:55 am

a small nano hob filter take out the carbon pad. put some bio media out of a established tank in to a small panty hose tie a knot to it in a filter. then you could get some paint substrate, and some fast growing stem plants, and plant them, and then get a sprial compact 8-13 w bulb, and a clamp on flood light. there you got a aquarium.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

PostSubject: Re: Cycling a small tank   Cycling a small tank Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 4:15 pm

Flippercon wrote:
With a uncycled filtered setup yes it would be a spike and a drop. Filterless is just gonna make him have to change that old tank water out. Thats why you should just start with nil water.

i see. my mistake, i was thinking too hard about filterless set-ups. doing 100% changes on bowls with clean water, made increasingly logical sense since ive slept on the thought. seeing as how many people say bettas' do not need cycled water, ring ever more true.

what i described with adding "dirty" water is only ideal for filtered set-ups.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cycling a small tank   Cycling a small tank Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cycling a small tank
Page 1 of 1