UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Aquarium Sand

Go down 
+4
KMX
Flippercon
Kasshan
daniellev
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
daniellev
Private
Private
daniellev

Favorite Fish: : Malawi peacocks and haps

Aquarium Sand Empty
PostSubject: Aquarium Sand   Aquarium Sand Icon_minitime12/26/2011, 7:10 pm

I just took out all of my old sand in my 100gal African cichlid tank. I had white arognite sand in there mixed in with black and white cichlid sand. I am looking for a new look. I want to go either completely white or completely black. I don't want to pay a whole lot. Does anyone have any recommendations on sand that is a decent price?? Has anyone heard of black diamond blasting abrasive sand?? Is is safe to use?? Thanks!!!
Back to top Go down

Aquarium Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Sand   Aquarium Sand Icon_minitime12/26/2011, 7:33 pm

honestly, im fortunate enough to live by the beach so even though i have freshwaters tanks i can just get free sand there. i know they say not to use it because its "live" or whatever but i put it in a bucket and stick a hose in there and basically "wash" it out. i havnt had any problems with it and my cichlids love it. theyre constantly spitting it out in different places and making little underground caves everywhere lol :) but if you have the right kind of light it looks pretty white. i have one natural 10000k and one actinic bulb works great! good luck
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

Aquarium Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Sand   Aquarium Sand Icon_minitime12/26/2011, 7:35 pm

"black diamond blasting abrasive sand" I would imagine it would appear safe to use at first for fish other than bottom dwellers, cories would get cut up fast.

And at 8$ for 50lbs of black sand sounds too good to be true. and it sadly is. it has doesnt have any silica in it, which is bad, cuz silica is non reactive. this stuff however is primarily composed of very dense carbon granules with metallic compounds that can and likely will turn aqueous over time with aquarium bacteria it would break down over time and youd risk a massive crash.

i wouldnt use for fish, but perhaps you could get away with it for pure planted tanks.

sadly here i paid a $1 per lb for my Tahitian Moon black sand. >_>

Last edited by Kasshan on 12/27/2011, 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
daniellev
Private
Private
daniellev

Aquarium Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Sand   Aquarium Sand Icon_minitime12/26/2011, 7:40 pm

Wow, really good to know!! Thanks so much for that explanation. :)
Back to top Go down

Aquarium Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Sand   Aquarium Sand Icon_minitime12/26/2011, 7:47 pm

hope everything works! post pics once its done! :)
Back to top Go down
daniellev
Private
Private
daniellev

Aquarium Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Sand   Aquarium Sand Icon_minitime12/26/2011, 7:53 pm

Thank you I will!!
Back to top Go down

Aquarium Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Sand   Aquarium Sand Icon_minitime12/26/2011, 8:04 pm

no problem
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Favorite Fish: : Electric Blue Rocio Octofasciata

Aquarium Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Sand   Aquarium Sand Icon_minitime12/26/2011, 8:54 pm

Pool filter sand is not quite white but its close. It's $8&change for 50lbs.
Back to top Go down

Aquarium Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Sand   Aquarium Sand Icon_minitime12/26/2011, 9:06 pm

yeah i heard pool filter sand worked prety good too.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

Aquarium Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Sand   Aquarium Sand Icon_minitime12/26/2011, 10:28 pm

bossman wrote:
honestly, im fortunate enough to live by the beach so even though i have freshwaters tanks i can just get free sand there. i know they say not to use it because its "live" or whatever but i put it in a bucket and stick a hose in there and basically "wash" it out. i havnt had any problems with it and my cichlids love it. theyre constantly spitting it out in different places and making little underground caves everywhere lol :) but if you have the right kind of light it looks pretty white. i have one natural 10000k and one actinic bulb works great! good luck

Really? I would think the fish would be TOAST!
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

Aquarium Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Sand   Aquarium Sand Icon_minitime12/26/2011, 10:50 pm

i used play ground sand and i'M NOT VERY HAPPY WITH IT GETS DIRTY VERY QUICKLY..besides that it works fine
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

Aquarium Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Sand   Aquarium Sand Icon_minitime12/27/2011, 12:48 am

pool filter sand is pretty light colored, but that means EVERY speck of mulm and poop gets visible!
Back to top Go down

Aquarium Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Sand   Aquarium Sand Icon_minitime12/27/2011, 6:12 am

KMX wrote:
bossman wrote:

Really? I would think the fish would be TOAST!

yeah thats what i thought too but i havnt lost a fish since i've started using it and it makes water changes way easier when your trying to suck poop up, plus you dont need a gravel vac!
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

Aquarium Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Sand   Aquarium Sand Icon_minitime12/27/2011, 9:56 am

that's impossible Bossman the salt will still be on the sand not to mention foren items like sticks dead sea weeds and critters.
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Aquarium Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Sand   Aquarium Sand Icon_minitime12/27/2011, 10:01 am

Plus taking sand from the beach is illegal in the state of VA. They have the conservations set up all around Sand Bridge and Munden. Aquarium Sand 196631 surfing fighting
The east coast of the United States is slowly, and in some places quickly, being eaten away by the ocean. States spend millions of dollars replacing the sand after bad storms(MY TAX DOLLARS). I doubt any locals seeing you do it would hesitate to call the police. Beach sand erosion is an ongoing problem due to human activity such as dams. Not only is it illegal, it is environmentally irresponsible to deplete a struggling natural resource.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Aquarium Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Sand   Aquarium Sand Icon_minitime12/27/2011, 10:19 am

Dang, Was not aware of that.

Yeah but no way this works. Do NOT USE beach sand for your freshwater aquarium. One of the not smart things I have herd on this forum.
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

Aquarium Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Sand   Aquarium Sand Icon_minitime12/27/2011, 10:21 am

Aquarium Sand 858205
Back to top Go down
Pitbull
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Pitbull

Aquarium Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Sand   Aquarium Sand Icon_minitime12/27/2011, 10:43 am

I used black diamond sand blasting sand. I just took down a 100 gallon tank with it. I could be able to use yours since i am tired of all black. Maybe a trade?
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Aquarium Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Sand   Aquarium Sand Icon_minitime12/27/2011, 10:51 am

good
Pitbull wrote:
I used black diamond sand blasting sand. I just took down a 100 gallon tank with it. I could be able to use yours since i am tired of all black. Maybe a trade?
Back to top Go down

Aquarium Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Sand   Aquarium Sand Icon_minitime12/27/2011, 11:08 am

oh wow i didnt know that either, but i also live on a river and own a canal.. so would it be illegal to get sand right out of my boat ditch?
Back to top Go down

Aquarium Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Sand   Aquarium Sand Icon_minitime12/27/2011, 11:09 am

and by the way it does work, theres no sticks or anything in there just clean sand. i wash it about 6 times before introducing it to a tank. just sayin, but yeah if its illegal then definately dont do it! lol
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

Aquarium Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Sand   Aquarium Sand Icon_minitime12/27/2011, 12:42 pm

i think that's where the confusion lies. you live by a river beach? at first you said you live by a beach so everyone's thinking SW, but now it's by a river so no wonder it works for you LOL.
Back to top Go down
daniellev
Private
Private
daniellev

Aquarium Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Sand   Aquarium Sand Icon_minitime12/27/2011, 1:14 pm

I wouldn't mind trading, but I just set up my 37 gal and put most of it in there. The rest I gave to friend. Sorry! thanks for the offer though!!
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Aquarium Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Sand   Aquarium Sand Icon_minitime12/27/2011, 1:24 pm

bossman wrote:
and by the way it does work, theres no sticks or anything in there just clean sand. i wash it about 6 times before introducing it to a tank. just sayin, but yeah if its illegal then definately dont do it! lol

fishface30 wrote:
i think that's where the confusion lies. you live by a river beach? at first you said you live by a beach so everyone's thinking SW, but now it's by a river so no wonder it works for you LOL.

Yeah IM confused. lol!
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Aquarium Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Sand   Aquarium Sand Icon_minitime12/27/2011, 1:30 pm

thread jacked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Aquarium Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Sand   Aquarium Sand Icon_minitime