UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Rubber Lipped Pleco

Go down 
+6
R2 Ranch
snowflake311
SLAYERR34
MIKEJ0226
tjb0408
CSnyder00
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

Rubber Lipped Pleco Empty
PostSubject: Rubber Lipped Pleco   Rubber Lipped Pleco Icon_minitime10/28/2009, 4:06 pm

Has anyone every kept a Rubber Lipped Plecostomus ? How do they do for algae cleanup? I am in need of another pleco and I want one that will stay smaller. These look like a good candidate but I am buying it just for that purpose. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
tjb0408
Private First Class
Private First Class
tjb0408

Favorite Fish: : Bettas
All types of shrimps

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Lipped Pleco   Rubber Lipped Pleco Icon_minitime10/28/2009, 4:39 pm

i had one but i gave it to a friend i didnt like it but a candy stripe pleco does great
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Lipped Pleco   Rubber Lipped Pleco Icon_minitime10/28/2009, 5:29 pm

The only dwarf Plecos that I have near me are bristlenoses, which aren't easy to find, and rubber lips, which we have at the store. Do the rubber lips do well with algae?
Back to top Go down
MIKEJ0226
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
MIKEJ0226

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Lipped Pleco   Rubber Lipped Pleco Icon_minitime10/28/2009, 5:39 pm

CSnyder00 wrote:
The only dwarf Plecos that I have near me are bristlenoses, which aren't easy to find, and rubber lips, which we have at the store. Do the rubber lips do well with algae?

I have some brown bushynose plecos at about an inch. Maybe some bigger. You pay the shipping cost and I will send them to you for 3.00 each . Rubber Lipped Pleco 422518 Rubber Lipped Pleco 422518
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Lipped Pleco   Rubber Lipped Pleco Icon_minitime10/28/2009, 6:47 pm

It's about 50 degrees here. That probably wont work.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Lipped Pleco   Rubber Lipped Pleco Icon_minitime10/28/2009, 8:43 pm

So no one has ever kept Rubber Lipped (Pit Bull) Plecos? No idea on algae?
Back to top Go down
SLAYERR34
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
SLAYERR34

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Lipped Pleco   Rubber Lipped Pleco Icon_minitime10/30/2009, 9:18 pm

YEAH THERE NOT REALLY GOOD CLEANING ALGAE OUT YOUR TANK I WOULDNT RECOMEND THEM. I YOU GET THEM UD HAVE TO USE ALGAE WAFFERS
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

Favorite Fish: : South American Ciclids and plecos. I will always love my bettas but have moved on.

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Lipped Pleco   Rubber Lipped Pleco Icon_minitime10/31/2009, 12:32 am

Dude pit bull plecos are great at cleaning tanks. They are hard workers and never stop eatting algea. But you will still need to feed wafers to keep them healthy. Also pitbull plecos like to be kept with other pitbull plecos unlike many others. They are a bit more like otoscope then Plecos. If you can find them get the . They are great I'm still searchig for some. I saw them once and neversaw them again.

As for the rubbernose they are more of a cool water pleco that do better with a strong water flow like a stream. They are just as good at cleaning algea as the BN pleco. They can get to be 5". The pitbull only 2".

Candy stripe plecos are not good at eatting algea they will only eat it if they are not being fed and are starving. They are really big on wood they need it in thier diet.

You really should not depend on a fish to do your algea cleaning.sure they can help but eat some had to reach areas but as I'm sure you know you still need to feed waffers or veggies of some kind. But 3 pitbull plecos would be great. I'm still looking for mine. I kept asking my lf to order them and they never did. :(

The best algea eatter is the true siamese algea eater. They eat almost all kinds of algea and get it off every thing and great in planted tanks. They need a planted tank.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Lipped Pleco   Rubber Lipped Pleco Icon_minitime11/8/2009, 3:04 pm

I think I'm just going to try one and find out for myself.
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

Favorite Fish: : South American Ciclids and plecos. I will always love my bettas but have moved on.

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Lipped Pleco   Rubber Lipped Pleco Icon_minitime11/12/2009, 8:23 pm

Did you get your rubber nose? I found one today. I have been reasearching them for almost a year now and I got one. He is still adjusting.

Can't wait to see how he turns out.

I will post some photo in a bit.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Lipped Pleco   Rubber Lipped Pleco Icon_minitime11/12/2009, 8:29 pm

Cool. Please do. I haven't gotten one yet. Would like to know what you think.
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Lipped Pleco   Rubber Lipped Pleco Icon_minitime11/12/2009, 11:48 pm

Here he is. Today he just stayed in the corner and did not do much. I hope tomarrow he adjusts. My cichlids did not know what to think of him. I have lots of brown algea my BN pleco does an ok job at cleaning it. I'm thinking the 2 will do a better job. But I did not get them just to clean the tank. I also love plecos and now have 3 diferant kinds.

[img]Rubber Lipped Pleco Sparkwbull[/img]

[img]Rubber Lipped Pleco Bullpleco[/img]
Back to top Go down
R2 Ranch
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
R2 Ranch

Favorite Fish: : Any that belong to me.

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Lipped Pleco   Rubber Lipped Pleco Icon_minitime11/13/2009, 5:08 am

Wow he's nice looking. I too have a great love for pleco's. Keep the updates coming. I might have to find one myself.
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Lipped Pleco   Rubber Lipped Pleco Icon_minitime11/13/2009, 8:16 pm

I have been playing with the idea of getting a rubber nose for almost a year. He has been hanging around my albino bn pleco. Not hiding at all. They got into a little fight this morning. They seem to be ok with each other as long as they don't get to close. I read rubber nose plecos tend to like being is groups more then other plecos. I just hope he fattens up a bit. I'm happy to say this is not a shy pleco that hides all day. He is always on the glass. I had a medusa pleco. Big waste of money and space I NEVER saw her and all she did was poop. I got rid of her.

So far I'm happy with this guy. He has not done any real cleaning yet but I don't care about that. He might stArte grazing soon.
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Lipped Pleco   Rubber Lipped Pleco Icon_minitime11/19/2009, 12:26 pm

This pleco is the best. He has filled out his eyes are not sunken in he looks great. Yes he eats algea loves to grave on the glass the most. Really love water movement. I have my tank set up so I have a good flow like a slow stream that flows over the wood they love to sit in the water flow so do my bn plecos.

The bulldog pleco aka rubbernose is very much like the bristle nose but with a differant look. He is out all day like my BN he eats algea too. These guys are great algea cleaners for a person that lives plecos and is willing to add more water flow. These are the pleco for you. They are very much like the bn pleco but way cuter IMO.
Back to top Go down
R2 Ranch
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
R2 Ranch

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Lipped Pleco   Rubber Lipped Pleco Icon_minitime11/19/2009, 12:33 pm

Awesome.... I am going to keep my eye out for one! yes
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Lipped Pleco   Rubber Lipped Pleco Icon_minitime11/19/2009, 3:45 pm

R2 Ranch wrote:
Awesome.... I am going to keep my eye out for one! yes

Yes if you find one get it. My grey female bn is still my first love but this guy is growing on me fast. He is so cute the eyes on these guys are the best like cartoon eyes. I hope you find one.
Back to top Go down
chicknefoot87
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
chicknefoot87

Favorite Fish: : Goldfish and Koi! I have to represent for the serious goldfish hobbyist.

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Lipped Pleco   Rubber Lipped Pleco Icon_minitime12/9/2009, 5:28 pm

When I worked at Petsmart we always had Rubber nosed Pleco. If you cant find one anywhere else I would try Petsmart.
Back to top Go down
chevy350
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
chevy350

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Lipped Pleco   Rubber Lipped Pleco Icon_minitime12/9/2009, 6:54 pm

I bought a rubber nose/bushy nose mix at DNA. he look cool. He stays in one spot for a while then moves very slow.
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Lipped Pleco   Rubber Lipped Pleco Icon_minitime12/9/2009, 7:15 pm

No such thing as a rubber nose bristle nose mix. Rubbernose plecos are almost all wild caught. I would love to see a photo I might be able Id it for you. I'm a bit of a pleco nerd.
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

Favorite Fish: : Red Devil, Red Terror, Green Terror...

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Lipped Pleco   Rubber Lipped Pleco Icon_minitime12/10/2009, 1:14 am

Green Phantoms are my favorite. They only get about 17cm.

Rubber Lipped Pleco 433822203_c8ba9fc900
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids, Bristlenose Plecos and Koi

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Lipped Pleco   Rubber Lipped Pleco Icon_minitime12/10/2009, 1:23 am

I have a pretty neat looking rubber lipped pleco, he is olive green with four darker green bands across his body. I'll have to take a picture of him, he is in the 110 with my fronts, he's always hiding though.
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

Favorite Fish: : Red Devil, Red Terror, Green Terror...

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Lipped Pleco   Rubber Lipped Pleco Icon_minitime12/10/2009, 2:10 am

I would love to see a pic.
Back to top Go down
R2 Ranch
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
R2 Ranch

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Lipped Pleco   Rubber Lipped Pleco Icon_minitime12/10/2009, 7:04 am

I finally located me some rubber lipped pleco. We bought two. There fairly small and adjusting to their new home. I haven't been able to snap a quick pic yet. I'll keep my camera ready.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Lipped Pleco   Rubber Lipped Pleco Icon_minitime12/10/2009, 7:55 am

I bought 3 rubber lipped plecos recently and they headed straight for the algae! They are amazing algea eaters and they never seem to hide! They don't eat plants either, they eat algae for their whole life unlike most plecos. Do give them some wood to munch on and algae wafers to supplement their grazing.
Unfortunately mine came with ich cursing and I didn't notice till last night cursing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Lipped Pleco   Rubber Lipped Pleco Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rubber Lipped Pleco
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next