UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Convict Cichlid holding and in "net breeder"

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jon31072000
Private First Class
Private First Class
jon31072000

Favorite Fish: : Hillstream Loach

Convict Cichlid holding and in "net breeder" Empty
PostSubject: Convict Cichlid holding and in "net breeder"   Convict Cichlid holding and in "net breeder" Icon_minitime9/22/2011, 3:27 pm

Ok, heres my situation. I actually have a pair of convicts in my african tank, I know horrible, but only tank I have right now where they match the size of the other fish and both were sold as "tetras", so better off then they were... Anyhow, I bought a net breeder from my LFS last nite and threw my female convict in there... This afternoon, I saw she had dropped all her eggs around the net and really isnt interested in them any longer. My question is, will these still hatch or does her dropping them mean they are all no good? Also, not sure if they ever got fertilized by the male, but I thought I read that happens as the female picks them back up. I have about 2 dozen little eggs in the net breeder and wondering if i should just rinse the net out and put it away or if I should wait and they will develop. Anyone with any help is much appreciated. Jon
Back to top Go down
Terry
Captain
Captain
Terry

PostSubject: Re: Convict Cichlid holding and in "net breeder"   Convict Cichlid holding and in "net breeder" Icon_minitime9/22/2011, 3:32 pm

Convicts are not mouthbrooders. They are egg layers> Can you get a picture of what you have?
Back to top Go down
papasmurf
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : Swallowtail Peacock

PostSubject: Re: Convict Cichlid holding and in "net breeder"   Convict Cichlid holding and in "net breeder" Icon_minitime9/22/2011, 5:30 pm

If the eggs are white, they are probably dead already or unfertilized. If the store sold them to you as tetra's...you really need to find a new store to shop at if at all possible.
It sounds like you more than likely have some type of mbuna (something like met. zebra) if they have some form of vertical barring...like terry said...without a photo we would just be speculating on what it might be. The eggs have a tendency to fungus and die without some airflow/waterflow around them and some fungicide in the water.
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Favorite Fish: : Electric Blue Rocio Octofasciata

PostSubject: Re: Convict Cichlid holding and in "net breeder"   Convict Cichlid holding and in "net breeder" Icon_minitime9/22/2011, 6:26 pm

If they are indeed convicts just pitch the eggs. Covicts will breed in a toilet . That being said if you wanted convict fry ,they will do it again. They are correct about convicts not being mouth brooders ,they are substrate spawners. It is possible the male fertilized the eggs through a net.

Last edited by Flippercon on 9/23/2011, 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jon31072000
Private First Class
Private First Class
jon31072000

Favorite Fish: : Hillstream Loach

PostSubject: Re: Convict Cichlid holding and in "net breeder"   Convict Cichlid holding and in "net breeder" Icon_minitime9/22/2011, 9:18 pm

Lol, first off, let me thank everyone for all the good info. These are indeed convicts and they were not sold to me as "tetras". For whatever reason, the fact that convicts are not mouthbrooders escaped me, but I already knew that, just needed a refresher, so thank you. Other then that, Im guessing that the moral of the story is just leave them alone in the tank and they will handle it... Thanks again for all the good info. Jon
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: Convict Cichlid holding and in "net breeder"   Convict Cichlid holding and in "net breeder" Icon_minitime9/23/2011, 5:02 am

Jon ,
You are correct . Convicts are very aggressive when brooding . They will "nest" and keep all other fishes at a distance. Just leave them in the tank and they will do the rest . No "breeder net " needed !
Good Luck ,, Ray
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Convict Cichlid holding and in "net breeder"   Convict Cichlid holding and in "net breeder" Icon_minitime12/21/2011, 6:30 pm

sounds cool and yep, not mouth brooders, but convicts can stand a veryy wide range of water parameters so they shouldbe fine for the time being as long as those africans dont go too hard on them.
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Favorite Fish: : Electric Blue Rocio Octofasciata

PostSubject: Re: Convict Cichlid holding and in "net breeder"   Convict Cichlid holding and in "net breeder" Icon_minitime12/21/2011, 6:34 pm

This thread is over a year old..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Convict Cichlid holding and in "net breeder"   Convict Cichlid holding and in "net breeder" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Convict Cichlid holding and in "net breeder"
Page 1 of 1