UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

My Victorians

Go down 
+6
jb1edlover
KMX
nick a
Flippercon
Ben
Jd.
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Jd.
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Jd.

Favorite Fish: : I dont knows ????

My Victorians  Empty
PostSubject: My Victorians    My Victorians  Icon_minitime8/26/2011, 7:38 pm

So recently I decided to get myself some Lake Victorians so I got to look and ended up getting some PUNDAMILIA NYEREREI RUTI ISLAND. After a hard start of not having some of the fish not eating , I have gotten them adjusted and eating well. I had a male that is showing some color 3 full size ladies for him and 6 juvies . And as of a couple of days ago I realized 1 of the females has a mouth full of eggs haha so I get to experience stripping a fish here shortly.

My Victorians  Untitled

My Victorians  Femalevic

My Victorians  IMG_0059
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

My Victorians  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Victorians    My Victorians  Icon_minitime8/26/2011, 7:53 pm

Nice fish. I have still been thinking about these fish since the meeting.
Back to top Go down
Jd.
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Jd.

My Victorians  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Victorians    My Victorians  Icon_minitime8/26/2011, 8:52 pm

If the stripping goes well you and flipper can split the fry haha
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Favorite Fish: : Electric Blue Rocio Octofasciata

My Victorians  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Victorians    My Victorians  Icon_minitime8/27/2011, 5:40 am

I will come by and help u strip them if we survive this storm. Lol. Let me know.
Back to top Go down
Jd.
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Jd.

My Victorians  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Victorians    My Victorians  Icon_minitime8/28/2011, 9:35 pm

Heck yea feel free to strip these fish for me haha because I really don't want to touch them even tho just fed them and didn't see her then again she is not interested in food at all.
Back to top Go down
nick a
Sergeant
Sergeant
nick a

My Victorians  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Victorians    My Victorians  Icon_minitime8/29/2011, 7:54 am

You may want to do some further investigation into the species you have--the number of bars and that coloration is not typically what one would expect to see.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

My Victorians  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Victorians    My Victorians  Icon_minitime8/29/2011, 7:55 am

My Victorians  858205
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

My Victorians  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Victorians    My Victorians  Icon_minitime8/29/2011, 8:06 am

So where would Jd start to look for the answer? Any suggestions? I would like to learn about vics myself.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

My Victorians  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Victorians    My Victorians  Icon_minitime8/29/2011, 8:13 am

I always ask questions like , Who did you get them from?, Who did they get theres from? , what do the parents look like? and who were the tank mates with the parents. and so on. Just a few. Nick a is way more experianced then I am , I would take his advice usafishbox
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

My Victorians  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Victorians    My Victorians  Icon_minitime8/29/2011, 8:48 am

I will say I saw the setup and the fish are in a tank by themselves to answer that question. Where they came from I cannot say.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

My Victorians  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Victorians    My Victorians  Icon_minitime8/29/2011, 9:06 am

Who were the parents in the tank with at the time they breed. Thats what I was wanting to say.
Back to top Go down
nick a
Sergeant
Sergeant
nick a

My Victorians  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Victorians    My Victorians  Icon_minitime8/29/2011, 9:11 am

There are many others at HCCC with much more experience than me. I've kept several variants of P. nyererei in the past and these seem to be Pundamilias ...but the seem more like P. Pundamilia or P. sp. crimson tide (or some other Punda I'm unfamiliar with ) than the nyererei.

Here are two variants I kept in the past..maybe it's just me?....does the bar count/pattern look the same as JD's to you guys?
My Victorians  Mwanza1
My Victorians  Pn-pi2
Back to top Go down
Jd.
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Jd.

My Victorians  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Victorians    My Victorians  Icon_minitime8/29/2011, 10:15 am

My Victorians  Male2
I guess thats a parent and as for what exactly they are I have no idea they all look the same ish to me.
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

My Victorians  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Victorians    My Victorians  Icon_minitime8/29/2011, 10:19 am

Does seem a bit off. I'm no expert but looks like one extra stripe and the placement is off.
Back to top Go down
Jd.
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Jd.

My Victorians  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Victorians    My Victorians  Icon_minitime8/29/2011, 11:07 am

haha well obviously i am not a expert i don't even know what kind of victorian i have haha

here is another picture of the parents of my fish guess this one is the alpha male.

My Victorians  Male1
My Victorians  Crimsontide5
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

My Victorians  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Victorians    My Victorians  Icon_minitime8/29/2011, 11:15 am

Thta does look a lot like crimson tide.
Back to top Go down
Jd.
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Jd.

My Victorians  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Victorians    My Victorians  Icon_minitime8/29/2011, 11:22 am

is it bad that i thought a crimson tide was a ruti island and why I've been thinking thats what they were haha

<--------- noob
Back to top Go down
Jd.
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Jd.

My Victorians  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Victorians    My Victorians  Icon_minitime8/31/2011, 10:16 pm

I got some new pics just now and figured I would share anyone have an idea on the id ?

My Victorians  IMG_0143
My Victorians  IMG_0146
Back to top Go down
jb1edlover
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
jb1edlover

Favorite Fish: : I have the fish in my avatar but the photo was taken by Nick Andreola of the HCCC. His photography skills are a little better than mine!

My Victorians  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Victorians    My Victorians  Icon_minitime9/2/2011, 9:42 am

JD first of all don't feel bad.... Victorians are hard to identify even from the "Kings" of the Victorian world. I agree with Nick in saying that your fish isn't a Pundamilia Nyererei. I'm thinking Crimson tide as well. You really have to assume its a hybrid (or treat it that way) unless you get a positive Id from one of the authorities and even then you may have to wait a generation. I think you should quarantine those fish. Grow out the fry and let someone like Greg Steeves ID the fry. The biggest problem isn't the males..... the females are the ones that throw everything off...... Most of the females look the same (plain silver fish). If you got them from someone that had a community tank... you could be in for a big dissapointment. JD I will give you some Pundamilia Nyererie that have been positively ID'd and I keep mine in species only tanks. I will only do that if you also keep them in a species only tank for the future hobbiest not me. It really only takes one irresponsible person to Fuq up a whole species of fish and the hard work spent by those that try to ID them. In a world that folks will do pretty much anything to make money these beautiful Victorian fish are easy to breed with anything to create colorful fish that will sell....

This my friend is why I and other HATE HYBRIDS so much.... There really isn't a middle ground, you're either for hybrids or against them.... Saying you don't care is being for them because "JB SAID SO!"
JB
Back to top Go down
Jd.
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Jd.

My Victorians  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Victorians    My Victorians  Icon_minitime9/2/2011, 12:04 pm

Ok cool that would be awesome , let me know when a good time to come over and take a look around. As for a tank I have 40g that just opened up and will be all theres I will need to get some rocks to set up and whatnot but I think it will be really cool.

Hybrids are cool to me as long as you don't breed them , saying that the ONLY hybrid i like is my flowerhorn which i assure you will never be breed. As for my convict hybrids they make excellent food haha has everyone that was at the meeting what happened when they went into my jack dempsey tank hahahahah
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

My Victorians  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Victorians    My Victorians  Icon_minitime9/3/2011, 6:51 am

Your holding female is ajusting well her tank. I think she has a week or two .left before I can strip her. I checked her out before removing her from the bucket and she still has a mouth full of yellow eggs. No tails showing at all. Ben get at me if you still want some of these fry. Oh and I'm interested in the Pundamilia Nyererie if you have more jb. I will put them in a species only tank. Kinda going that way in all my tanks now.
Back to top Go down
Jd.
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Jd.

My Victorians  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Victorians    My Victorians  Icon_minitime9/3/2011, 8:12 am

Cool man I hope all goes well I think striking may want some of the fry as well , you may need to ask him but we shall see I am sure one of the other females will probably will start to carry here soon.
Back to top Go down
gas
USA Fishbox Sponsor

Favorite Fish: : haplochromines

My Victorians  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Victorians    My Victorians  Icon_minitime9/3/2011, 9:12 am

Don't believe the "experience" thing from JB and Nick. Both of these guys have help me with id's and observations in the past. They are both highly experienced fish keepers. I agree that P. sp. "crimson tide" is what they appear to be. There is a lot of variation in this fish so if they don't match up to pictures you have seen, don't worry too much about it. Also, the cranial slope changes with age. If the angle of the forehead doesn't seem right, wait a year or two. :)
Back to top Go down
Jd.
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Jd.

My Victorians  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Victorians    My Victorians  Icon_minitime9/3/2011, 4:37 pm

Cool well I'm glad that i have a good idea on what they are and i have to say i like them a lot they seem to hide more than i like but i guess thats what i get for filling the tank with hiding spots haha but as long as they are happy and breeding i don't mind at all.

I am def looking forward to setting up another tank for some vics time to get to ball rolling i would say hehe
Back to top Go down
jb1edlover
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
jb1edlover

Favorite Fish: : I have the fish in my avatar but the photo was taken by Nick Andreola of the HCCC. His photography skills are a little better than mine!

My Victorians  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Victorians    My Victorians  Icon_minitime9/4/2011, 8:32 am

JD it's a happy medium for these guys... hiding places they hide... no hiding places the males KILL the females!!! That is with Pundamilia Nyererei anyway! Males a brutal.

I'm getting a feel for you guys and Im pretty sure you guys are going to be responsible. Its never about the money, I give fish away that's the only way I operate. HOwever I'm very particular who I give them too. There is a high retail on Victorians right now and plenty of jack holes out there trying to cash in on them and they are willing to breed them with anything and everything to "Create" the next frankenfish and try to ruin the hobby. Anyway, I'm actually tied up with a softball tournament this weekend but should be around next weekend. Long weekends usually equal tournaments for me..... life of a high school coach!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My Victorians  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Victorians    My Victorians  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Victorians
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next