UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Fish with worms? Plz help.

Go down 
+2
Jeepluv77
jon31072000
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jon31072000
Private First Class
Private First Class
jon31072000

Favorite Fish: : Hillstream Loach

Fish with worms?  Plz help. Empty
PostSubject: Fish with worms? Plz help.   Fish with worms?  Plz help. Icon_minitime7/12/2011, 11:32 am

We were at the LFS the other day and the guy had 8 mollies/platies for $8, so we picked up 8. I ended up putting them in my 55 Livebearer tank, which we have successfully saved babies from our blue platy and our marigold swordtail, and everything seemed fine. 2 days later I start seeing what looks like little white worms growing out or attached to a fish outta the ones we just bought. I didnt think much of it at first, but now 3 or 4 fish in that tank seem to have the same thing. I have been in this hobby for almost 30 years and never seen this, so any help and a way to get rid of it would be much appreciated. I will include the best pic I could get from my phone as my camera died last weekend. Thanks again and hope I can do something without loosing the fish. You will see it, not very well, behind the top fin and on the bottom right before the tail fin right before the black starts.
Fish with worms?  Plz help. Fishparasite
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

PostSubject: Re: Fish with worms? Plz help.   Fish with worms?  Plz help. Icon_minitime7/12/2011, 11:55 am

They're anchor worms. There are several products on the market to deal with them but I don't know which may work and which don't as I've never had to deal with it. I've heard of using both salt dips and formalin dips. Do you have a hospital tank? It may be too late to keep it from spreading through your display tank but it's worth a shot.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Fish with worms? Plz help.   Fish with worms?  Plz help. Icon_minitime7/12/2011, 5:26 pm

clout
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: Fish with worms? Plz help.   Fish with worms?  Plz help. Icon_minitime7/12/2011, 5:51 pm

Fish with worms?  Plz help. 858205 http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4724
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: Fish with worms? Plz help.   Fish with worms?  Plz help. Icon_minitime7/12/2011, 6:01 pm

Fish with worms?  Plz help. 858205 with Dr Who. clout

Back to top Go down
jb1edlover
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
jb1edlover

Favorite Fish: : I have the fish in my avatar but the photo was taken by Nick Andreola of the HCCC. His photography skills are a little better than mine!

PostSubject: Re: Fish with worms? Plz help.   Fish with worms?  Plz help. Icon_minitime7/12/2011, 7:24 pm

My guess is anchor worms! I had a fish with one (totally random) a few years back. I caught the fish used a pair of twissors and pulled the worm off. Not sure about that being the best way to do it but I put him (fish) in a 10 gallon and treated with Mela-fix and salt and he was just fine. I treated the entire tank with Mela-fix just to "feel" safe and I never saw another worm. If you seem to have an outbreak of them I'd get some medicine and treat the tank. ALways raise the temperature of a tank that you're treating because it speeds up the life cycle of worms/parasites and makes them easier to kill as adults. Don't want to kill the adults and leave eggs or larvae.
JB
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fish with worms? Plz help.   Fish with worms?  Plz help. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fish with worms? Plz help.
Page 1 of 1